News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I punchdown an OBI to my existing home phone distribution?

Started by amoricaorbust, July 09, 2012, 08:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoricaorbust

I was wondering if I can punchdown the OBI to my existing phone distribution and connect multiple phones with the existing lines in the house?

My network and phone distribution is located in the same closet so if works theoretically I can just plug an OBI100 into my router and punch the phone out form the OBI directly into the existing phone block where the telco line was.

Does the OBI play well with multiple phones?  Meaning if someone picks up a second phone will they join the existing conversation?  And is the voltage on a phone jack enough to support/ring multiple devices?

Thanks,

Steve

MurrayB

I have had a similar arrangement in service since about the first of the year. Check your REN (ringer equivalent number), probably not an issue if you are using electronic rather than mechanical bells. If you have a monitored security system there are other issues to deal with but not a problem.

Good luck!

Fasttimes

I disconnected the NID from the phone company and plugged in Vonage and fed the whole house this way. I just plugged the obi in a few days ago and it works the same way.

You actually don't need to plug into the NID directly.  Just make sure the telco is disconnected and you can plug the obi into any jack and that will feed the house.

amoricaorbust

Thanks for the responses.  I probably wont get to this project for a month or two but I'm looking forward to it.  :-)

MurrayB, what are the issues you mentioned with monitored security systems?  My security system is in the same closet and connected to the punchdown block.

Thanks,

MurrayB

Hi amoricaorbust

In regard to configuring your installation to have your alarm to be configured with your use of the Obi the following is very important:

If your security system was properly installed the incoming PSTN line should go to an RJ-31X jack that connects to your security system and your phone jacks. The RJ-31X jack allows the security system to seize the line and hang up any phones that are off hook so an alarm can be transmitted to the monitoring station. Remove the connection to your phone jacks that go to the RJ-31X and replace that connection to the Line output of the Obi 110. The wires that you removed from the RJ-31X that connect to your phone jacks goes to the Phone connection on the Obi 110. This will maintain the integrity of your security system and all your phone jacks will be connected to the Obi. This will also allow your security system, assuming it's backup battery is functioning, to continue to be operative and connected to the PSTN during a power failure. Be careful not to reverse the Line and the Phone connections or you will probably fry the Obi.