News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Status (gmail chat status)

Started by bwomp99, March 15, 2011, 07:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwomp99

I have Google Voice set up as SP1 on my OBi110. I noticed people see my name in gmail chat with a yellow icon with the notice "Voice Only." Does anyone know if it is possible to edit that status? I'm not sure if that is something set from Google or it the Obi110 has sets your status to that.

I don't want to change my GV number to a different email account, but I don't like that people may still try to send messages even if the status is "Voice Only" and I won't ever see them. I'd like to set the status to "Unavailable, messages will not be delivered", or even just set my account as "Invisible." I just wasn't sure who sets this status, Obi or Google.

Regards,

Jeff

QBZappy

bwomp99,

Google Voice Chat settings. Put a dot in the second line. This might work. Let us know.
Auto-add suggested contacts:   
Automatically allow people I communicate with often to chat with me and see when I'm online. Learn more
Only allow people that I've explicitly approved to chat with me and see when I'm online.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

bwomp99,

I was also able to change the status another way.

Sign into your Gmail account. In the Chat section, press the drop list next to the "Set status here" Select what you want. You can even set up a custom message (Gone Fishing).

When I tried to set myself as "Invisible", I received this warning message. I suppose it is my OBi which is logged in because I used this account as my GV SP.

QB Zappy

Invisible
   Status menu
Oops! You are not invisible because you're logged into Google Talk from another client, device, or location that doesn't support invisibility.

;D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bwomp99

Not quite sure that fixes what I was looking for....I'd like to be able to change the Chat Status when I am not logged into my chat, but the Obi is. So if no browser is open and my Obi is connected, friends see my name with the status "Voice Only". I'm not sure if Obi sets that status or Google, but I'd like to change it to something like "Voice Only - Messages will not be received" or something...

props

I also noticed this issue. My Gmail Talk status is always set to "Away" now, and sometimes "Away: Voice Only", because I have that google account setup on my OBi device.

Even if I am concurrenty logged into another IM chat client, and/or change my status to available on gmail.com chat, it still stays as "Away".

I don't want to appear as Away all the time, so is there anyway to configure or send an Available chat status from the OBi device in order to resolve this?

Thanks.

props

Also realized if i logout of chat on my computer client, the obi keeps the gmail chat logged in, so ppl can still send me IMs but I won't get them because they are being sent to obi chat client.

Anyway to change this in the obi firmware? Either disable as a chat client via the obi box, or at least be able to change the status or status message as requested in prior posts?

thanks.

SteveL

GC_convertee

this seems like a good feature request
GrandCentral in 2004, had Gizmo5 acct
Analog Fax working IB & OB...
efax acct revoked
faxzero.com (<=2 free/$2 for 3+pgs)
Linksys SPA-2102 ATA 2 Sipgate lines/free accts, $20 balance for OB faxes dialing
Obi110 2 GV accts No POTS/FXO
Panasonic kx-tga939t Dect Cordless -  Ans machine OFF