News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCloud

This setup works for me: CID now displays names of the caller. However I'm receiving a stuttered ring when I make test calls from my cell phone.

Any Ideas why or how to fix?

BCloud

I managed to figure it out. SP2 has a completely different ring profile and pattern than SP1 which my phyical cordless phone could not handle.

I simply swapped Callcentric to SP1 (for inbound calls, 911, CNAM), and GV to SP2 (for outbound, local number).

Problem solved. ;D

jimates

Or you could have just changed the X_RingProfile for SP1 and SP2.

Voice Service -> SP1 Service -> SP1 Service -> X_RingProfile = A or B

I set both of mine to A, since my gogole voice calls on SP1 aren't delivered to the phone anymore.

CoalMinerRetired

I realize I'm late to the party here. Can someone clarify a point on MWI and stutter dialtone, please?

If one does the setup scenario here with GV, CC and their CNAM, does that give up the ability to have th MWI and VMWI (stutter and light) activate based on unread VMs in GV's VM? 

jimates

I tested it once with my daughters Obi.

I changed the set up to use SP2 (Callcentric) and send SP1 (google voice calls) to nowhere {}.
I enabled the MW items on her Obi for SP1 (google voice), and left those for SP2 off.
I called her google voice number and left a message.
In a short while there was a blinking light on her phone and then the stutter dial tone when I took the phone off-hook.

CoalMinerRetired

That's good to know.  I was half expecting to hear it does not work. And your test means the signaling driving these indicators gets through even with Forward to Google Chat unchecked.  Maybe via SIP signaling, ... more than I want to digest at the moment.

jimates

It is logical that it should work. Google voice is still set up on the Obi so the Obi is still checking the status, if selected. The forwarding phones list is really not relevant to the Obi.

CoalMinerRetired

To me this means the signaling for the MWI/VMWI goes through the SIP 'channel', as opposed to being dependent upon the Google Chat 'channel/connection'.  In analog telephony, these signals for MWI/VMWI go through the two-wire 'trunk', and somehow I relate that concept to a Google Chat connection.

jimates

google doesn't use sip, but the idea is the same.

The connection between Obi and Google is initiated from the Obi, not from Google.

In an analog system, the status is sent to the phone by the provider. (the phone has no capability of checking the status.
With this system, it is the Obi that checks the status from the provider. (that is why there is often a delay from real time status).

Delivery of calls to an endpoint by google are irrelevant. 

BCloud

The GV WMI is one frustration point for me. ??? When I enable voicemail notification on the obitalk portal, the VM notification Icon on my phone turns on, and stays on even if I've there is no message.

I would really like it to display only when I actually have an unread message.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: BCloud on September 06, 2012, 02:23:17 PM
The GV WMI is one frustration point for me. ??? When I enable voicemail notification on the obitalk portal, the VM notification Icon on my phone turns on, and stays on even if I've there is no message.

Check for unread messages, in GV (not email in GMAIL) in Trash, Spam, Archived, etc. Check if any unread Text messages also.  It seems to be not fully clarified exactly why or how this works, and/or there's some ambiguity to it all.

Also, be sure you have the latest firmware.

If above doesn't solve the problem, do you possibly have two or more voice services (SP1, SP2, etc) pointed to the phone port (ph or ph2) with the notification light? Do any of the services have unread messages?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: jimates on September 06, 2012, 01:32:27 PM

The connection between Obi and Google is initiated from the Obi, not from Google.

In an analog system, the status is sent to the phone by the provider. (the phone has no capability of checking the status.
With this system, it is the Obi that checks the status from the provider. (that is why there is often a delay from real time status).

I think what you're saying is since GV <> OBi doesn't use SIP, there's another 'channel' in use (initiated by Obi not GV, I understand that), that is not (dependent upon the) Google Chat 'channel.'

jimates

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on September 06, 2012, 02:55:30 PM
Quote from: jimates on September 06, 2012, 01:32:27 PM

I think what you're saying is since GV <> OBi doesn't use SIP, there's another 'channel' in use (initiated by Obi not GV, I understand that), that is not (dependent upon the) Google Chat 'channel.'
True.

BCloud

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on September 06, 2012, 02:52:11 PM
Quote from: BCloud on September 06, 2012, 02:23:17 PM

Check for unread messages, in GV (not email in GMAIL) in Trash, Spam, Archived, etc. Check if any unread Text messages also.  It seems to be not fully clarified exactly why or how this works, and/or there's some ambiguity to it all.

Also, be sure you have the latest firmware.

If above doesn't solve the problem, do you possibly have two or more voice services (SP1, SP2, etc) pointed to the phone port (ph or ph2) with the notification light? Do any of the services have unread messages?

Thanks for the help! It seems as thought I had stuff in my spam folder, and missed calls in my inbox. I turned off send missed calls to inbox, emptied the inbox and tada! The notification turned off.  :D

CoalMinerRetired

The new feature 'Disable/Enable Call Waiting for one call only' has me wondering how either form of Call Waiting (persistent or one call only) works in this arrangement.

Scenario: I make an out going call using SP1 which uses GV.  My SP2 is CallCentric, I have call forwarding setup as explained here (this works great BTW). Both SP1 and SP2 use port ph1. Therefore all incoming calls, even those to GV come in on SP2

On an analog handset connected to ph1, I have some speed dials setup using *56 and *57 as a prefix (*56 and *57 is Enable and Disable Call Waiting). But that disables or enables Call Waiting on the outbound call on GV. When someone calls the GV number, it routes to CallCentric on SP2, and rings as a call waiting call on ph1? I think I saw that exact behavior yesterday.

How would one send the *57 or *56 to SP2 when making an outbound call on SP1? Something tricky in a digit map somewhere?

EDIT: I just used this feature, and I see that doing *57 on an outgoing call on SP1 disables call waiting on incoming calls on SP2.  I take that to mean the *57 code applies to the physical phone port and also to any SPs routing calls to the port. So my question is asked and answered.

jimates

I was going to say, call waiting pertains to the phone1 or phone2 port, not the service.

sdKeith

I've followed the instructions, but my problem is I can't verify my Callcentric number in Google Voice.   My phone rings but I don't get the prompt message to enter the code.   I've tried just entering it, but that doesn't work.  I'm using a free Callcentric NY number.  Any suggestions?

CoalMinerRetired

Can you receive calls on your Callcentric number from another phone, mobile or landline?

CC is recovering from a recent 'attack,' so make sure you have their latest configuration tweaks, see this post, notice the prefix before some of callcentric.com field values.

jimates

As CoalMinerRetired pointed out, you must go into Obi Expert to configure CC now. Basic dashboard settings don't work (unless Obihai makes the changes).

Wuwu

Hello fellow OBI users,

I am having an issue with my OBI 202 using Callcentric - for whatever reason - many calls go to voicemail before ringing on the 202  :'( .  It seems that this issue presented itself before and appeared to have also been resolved before (based on this forum post http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/voice/pQ0IMYd_1Mk/uK_ce-bkLfQJ )

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!  ;D