News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoalMinerRetired

I'm not sure what happened to me is related to your issue, but it sounds similar. Edit to add it's not what was described in the linked thread on the GV product forums.

Yesterday, after 16 days uptime, I had to reboot by Obi202. GV calls forwarded to a CC number stopped ringing in the Obi.  The odd part, (i.e., new behavior I never observed before) is the Obi showed the CC number as registered, ... expire in xx seconds.  But on the CC dashboard the phone showed as "your phone is not registered", and if I called the CC DID number directly, calls showed as received in the CC Calls Received log.  

I have two CC DID's configured on on Obi202 with two GV numbers. Only one of the two CC numbers did this. The other unusual part is the process worked fine until one day it just stopped ringing in the Obi, it took a few calls ringing a second GV forward to number to realize the CC number on the obi was not ringing.  So now I'll be watching for it again.

You asked for ideas. Check the CC log to tell if your calls all arrive at CC, and look at the CC dashboard to tell if your "phone" is registered.

I was actually hoping to get to a milestone of 30 days of uninterrupted uptime with the GV and CC/CNAM scheme following the recent CC issues, but no such luck getting there yet.

CoalMinerRetired

Once again time to re-open this classic thread.  To ask, if or how this scheme is going to work with the latest feature Google Voice Multi-Ring?  Release Notes here.
QuoteOBi202 / OBi302:
- Google Voice Multi-Ring:
Use the same Google account on multiple OBi202 devices. Incoming calls to the associated Google Voice number will ring all OBi202 endpoints and the and the stand-alone Google Talk app (Gmail browser-based phone calling excluded).

My best guess without actually implementing it to test is we'd need a separate CC inbound number for each Obi-GV Multi Ring.  Which leads to another point, since you uncheck Google Chat in GV settings, you cannot 'mix-and-match' when doing two or more Obis.  I'm also suspicious the forward to Google Chat must be checked for the multi ring to work.

JGKos

Hey everyone,

I'm all new to this, and have spent the last week going through the forums to try and get a better handle on how to use my new Obi110 w/ GV.

I have everything all set-up, and working correctly, when I went to tackle my 2 only issues.

1. 911 service
2. caller-ID

In looking through the forums here, these issues seem to be a shortfall of GV, and both issues can be solved through Callcentric.  I have been following the set-up guide to allow this functionality

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.0

I have a CallCentric account (Pay per Call service to allow 911 service)  In following the guide, I am told to enter my CC # into GV and forward all calls to that number.  I also see that I need to add the NON (777)# issued to me from CC.  Under my dashboard in CC, I only have the 777 # listed, which GV will not use (does not match country)

Am I doing this right?  I do not see anything in the forums addressing this question.

much thanks for the help

JK

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: JGKos on January 15, 2013, 09:15:14 AM
I have a CallCentric account (Pay per Call service to allow 911 service)  In following the guide, I am told to enter my CC # into GV and forward all calls to that number.  I also see that I need to add the NON (777)# issued to me from CC.  Under my dashboard in CC, I only have the 777 # listed, which GV will not use (does not match country)

Am I doing this right?  I do not see anything in the forums addressing this question.

much thanks for the help

JK
Your CC 777 number is both your account number and a special CC SIP number which can only make outgoing calls under certain conditions. This is not a number you can use for 911.

If you do not have another DID (Direct Inward Dial) number in your CC dashboard then you have not yet selected a number and a rate plan from CC.  For the "free" did numbers (actually $1.50 per month for 911 fees), the area codes are all in NY state, this is what almost everyone on here uses.

JGKos

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on January 15, 2013, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: JGKos on January 15, 2013, 09:15:14 AM

much thanks for the help

JK
Your CC 777 number is both your account number and a special CC SIP number which can only make outgoing calls under certain conditions. This is not a number you can use for 911.

If you do not have another DID (Direct Inward Dial) number in your CC dashboard then you have not yet selected a number and a rate plan from CC.  For the "free" did numbers (actually $1.50 per month for 911 fees), the area codes are all in NY state, this is what almost everyone on here uses.

This is exactly what I am trying to do.  I at first opened a CC account, then added the $1.50/per month account (Pay Per Call) service.  I registered my address, and now my dashboard reads 911 service ACTIVE.  I however still only have the 777 # listed in my dashboard.

ideas?

thanks

JK

CoalMinerRetired

The Pay Per Call plan looks like there is no phone number associated with it.  

For the CNAM and 911 discussed here, you want the plan named "Free Phone Number" under "Receive Calls" with coverage "Parts of NY State" (No one will ever call this # directly, GV will  use it only to forward calls to).

Even thought it is named Free, you will need to pay the $1.50 per month (plus $1.50 one time setup), you pick the actual number during the setup process.

JGKos

I was looking under "Make Calls"

Thats it!  Thanks! 

BearJerCares

Thank you for the information on the free phone number (except for $1.50 monthly 911 cost) with Callcentric to work with Google Voice!  I just set that up, but I have a different question and I don't know this forum well enough to ask it in a different thread.  My home phones (using the Google Voice / Concentric configuratiuon) show the VOICE MAIL INDICATOR flashing signal even though there are no voice messages there.  How do I reset the indicator?  I tried leaving a NEW MESSAGE, then attempted to clear it out, but the Google system states archive messages, it did not give me the option to just delete.  And it did not clear the message indicator.  What am I missing?  Thanks,    Jerry in Michigan, USA

Rick

Quote from: BearJerCares on January 21, 2013, 08:35:02 PM
Thank you for the information on the free phone number (except for $1.50 monthly 911 cost) with Callcentric to work with Google Voice!  I just set that up, but I have a different question and I don't know this forum well enough to ask it in a different thread.  My home phones (using the Google Voice / Concentric configuratiuon) show the VOICE MAIL INDICATOR flashing signal even though there are no voice messages there.  How do I reset the indicator?  I tried leaving a NEW MESSAGE, then attempted to clear it out, but the Google system states archive messages, it did not give me the option to just delete.  And it did not clear the message indicator.  What am I missing?  Thanks,    Jerry in Michigan, USA

Log into your GV account and check for UNREAD messages in your SPAM folder.  You have to read, or delete, ALL messages for the indicator to go away.

BearJerCares

Thanks, but there is nothing in SPAM.  Still looking to see what might be the cause, but can't find it...

Jerry

MikeHObi

Quote from: BearJerCares on January 22, 2013, 07:47:19 PM
Thanks, but there is nothing in SPAM.  Still looking to see what might be the cause, but can't find it...

There is an issue with the VM Indicator and the Obi's that some folks have been having and it appears that support is aware of.  Mostly the report has been of no-indicator, but you may want to check with support to see if they have something to resolve it.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

BearJerCares

I found out that I had a setting incorrectly figured in the Google Voice settings.  In order to clear the voice mail indicator (when no voice mail was present), I had to select the voice mail setting as NO when calling from my cell phone under advanced settings.  It was also not allowing me to call my home phone (Google Voice - Callcentric home phone) from my cell phone   Now I can call home from my cell without getting the voice mail prompt to begin with.

Thanks for everyone's help...

Jerry

http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html#My-OBi-Does-Not-Ring

askthiru

Not sure why I didn't see this thread and try this out before.. I've been using OBI/GV/CC setup for the last 8-9 months.. Just came across this thread yesterday and set it up.. Works fine.. Getting all the caller ids now.. Have changed a few of my fellow workers to use obi with GV /CC set up... The only phone charges I've been paying in the last 10 months are the 1.50$ 911 fee and the international minutes for GV (which is less than 10$ a month) compared to the 35$ I was paying Vonage..

VOIPisGreat

Quote from: Wuwu on December 18, 2012, 07:46:24 PM
Hello fellow OBI users,

I am having an issue with my OBI 202 using Callcentric - for whatever reason - many calls go to voicemail before ringing on the 202  :'( .  It seems that this issue presented itself before and appeared to have also been resolved before (based on this forum post http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/voice/pQ0IMYd_1Mk/uK_ce-bkLfQJ )

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you in advance!!  ;D

I am having the same issue. Certain numbers called to GV go to VM without ringing the Obi. I checked the callcentric call log and it appeared that those calls never reach callcentric side. If I enable forward to gchat instead of forward to callcentric then the obi would ring.

Somehow with certain numbers, google voice would refuse to forward to a callcentric DID....

RJDV

I'm using GV and Callcentric on my Obi202 device.
I followed the instructions given in the post by pc44 dated July 11/2012 (thanks pc44),  but I'm afraid there is something i've not made correctly. Now, phones ring and CNAM is given, but the call itself and the caller's message are sent directly to Voice Mail, so I cannot answer the call or listen to the message in my own answering machine.
To prevent this, I'm trying to select "Off" in the "Call Screening" section of the "Calls" tab of Google Voice Settings. This way, I think, I'd be able to take the call, or record the caller's message in my own answering machine, which I find much more convenient.

The problem is that, whenever I try to do it, a warning sign comes  up and blocks the "Off" radio buttom , thus preventing me from making the selection.

I'd like to be adviced about this issue. Thanks in advance.

Mark55

These instructions do not work for me. Tried them to the letter, and cant them to work. If I make the changes as described, both within GV and the Obi 100, and I call the Obi from my landline, only the callers phone number shows up, not the name.

I've called Obi tech support, and they refer me to Callcentric support, who refers me back to Obi support....

Any suggestions??

Thank you.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Mark55 on March 01, 2013, 11:23:18 AM
These instructions do not work for me. Tried them to the letter, and cant them to work. If I make the changes as described, both within GV and the Obi 100, and I call the Obi from my landline, only the callers phone number shows up, not the name.

I've called Obi tech support, and they refer me to Callcentric support, who refers me back to Obi support....

Any suggestions??

Thank you.
What happens when you call your CC number directly?

Do you get Caller ID and CNAM?

I'll also suggest you start a separate thread for the follow up. Feel free to post the link to it here.

Mark55

All I'm trying to do is this:

When someone calls my GV number, the callers name and number will show up on the phone thats plugged into the Obi100. I've followed the step by step instructions do this, given on page 1 of this forum. Doesnt work, either. The CNAM shows up on the Callcentric dashboard as an incoming call, yet the phone plugged into the Obi does not even ring. And yes, GV is set to forward to the Callcentric number, and not Google chat, as described in the instructions. Its getting pretty frustrating. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

CoalMinerRetired

Please start a new thread, quote what you said above, so as to avoid turning this into an extended troubleshooting discussion on one problem.

There are some obvious possibilities. I'll reply in the new thread.