News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu-be

Thanks PC44, 
The troubleshooter  at CC informed me that my CC number was NOT linked to any other number (GV or otherwise) during the CC set-up.  As such, I didn't see what good it would do me to cancel and start over, again.  I will do as you suggest and then try the GV hook-up, again. 
I appreciate both your guide and your guidance.

VOIPisGreat

Quote from: jimates on July 24, 2012, 02:14:50 PM
Quote from: Stu-be on July 24, 2012, 12:25:48 PM
There is a portion of your instructions that has me in a bit of a quandry. 

"Within Google Voice's Account -> Settings -> Phones:
•Add your CC Phone Number (516/631/845/914/917) to your GV account
•Un-check Google Chat as a forwarding phone
•Check your Callcentric number as a forwarding phone"

Before I try this there is one thing I am wondering about.  Please understand that this question comes from an unsaavy uer.

If in the process of adding CNAM through Callcentric I would have to uncheck Google Chat as my forwarding phone, wouldn't I lose some of the key Google Voice features as a trade-off for getting CNAM on my incoming calls?  In particular, transcription of voicemail messages, notification of calls in my gmail, and the ability to read these messages in my gmail?   

If so, this doesn't seem like a very good trade-off just to get a Caller ID with names.  If not, what am I  misunderstanding?
Everything is still the same as far as google voice. All you are doing is changing the route the call takes to get to your Obi. Calls still come through google voice, they route to CC and then to the Obi; instead of direct to the Obi from google voice.

But you'd lose the VM notification thru the handset, no? To me this would be a deal breaker.

jimates

Quote from: VOIPisGreat on July 27, 2012, 12:11:02 PM
But you'd lose the VM notification thru the handset, no? To me this would be a deal breaker.

I don't know, does CC support either type of voicemail notification?

Nemesis

Now quick question about this setup, will this allow me to set my Google voice as my outgoing provider for making calls? Cause all I would want the callcentic for would be its 911 services.

pc44

Quote from: Nemesis on July 29, 2012, 11:56:34 AM
Now quick question about this setup, will this allow me to set my Google voice as my outgoing provider for making calls? Cause all I would want the callcentic for would be its 911 services.

Hi Nemesis,

Yes.  Using this setup, you can still use GV for outgoing calls!!

Just make sure your PrimaryLine is still set to your GV Service Provider.

pc44 :)

Nemesis

Awesome, glad to hear it. Thanks for the tutorial. Just ordered the obi100 and I'm looking forwarding to hooking it up.

lhm.

Before I try this there is one thing I am wondering about.  Please understand that this question comes from an unsaavy uer.

If in the process of adding CNAM through Callcentric I would have to uncheck Google Chat as my forwarding phone, wouldn't I lose some of the key Google Voice features as a trade-off for getting CNAM on my incoming calls?  In particular, transcription of voicemail messages, notification of calls in my gmail, and the ability to read these messages in my gmail?   

If so, this doesn't seem like a very good trade-off just to get a Caller ID with names.  If not, what am I  misunderstanding?
Everything is still the same as far as google voice. All you are doing is changing the route the call takes to get to your Obi. Calls still come through google voice, they route to CC and then to the Obi; instead of direct to the Obi from google voice.

If GV is on SP1 and CC SP2 with GV chat unchecked in GV, you will still receive the VMI.

VOIPisGreat

Quote from: lhm. on July 30, 2012, 06:33:23 AM

If GV is on SP1 and CC SP2 with GV chat unchecked in GV, you will still receive the VMI.

Is that the VMI on the CC VM or GV VM or both?

Stu-be

I was ultimately able to get CC to work with my OBi100. Here was how. System Management>Auto Provisioning>ISTP Provisioning>Method:Disabled   and
System Management>Auto Provisioning>OBITalk Provisioning>Method: Disabled

Until then, I was unable to get the CC instructions to stay in place within my system.  Now they do and the CC CNAM is currently working on 3 of my 4 phones. 

The 4th phone is circa 1994.  I am wondering if this is a system that just isn't going to work on that phone.  Comcast and Cox CNAM had always worked on that phone --- not CC.  Something about their CNAM must be different.  Oh well.

CoalMinerRetired

Have you looked at CC instructions for configuring an obi100? Found here:http://www.callcentric.com/support/device/obihai/obi100

CC also has detailed instructions for an obi202. Why this is relevant in yotu case with a 100 is CC's instructions (for the 202 they have lots of details) are different than what you get when you use ObiTalk provisioning, CC shows to set several more fields than than what the ObiTalk dashboard does.

Nemesis

If you forward google voice incoming calls to CC, does CC charge you for incoming calls?

pc44

Quote from: Nemesis on August 02, 2012, 07:42:09 PM
If you forward google voice incoming calls to CC, does CC charge you for incoming calls?

Not if you sign-up for the Free Phone Number on CC.  CC's Free Phone Number currently lists Unlimited Incoming Minutes.  Of course, you will still have to pay the flat $1.50 monthly fee, per CC's present terms.

pc44

Nemesis

Thanks for the insight, probably should have looked at their site for that, but its good to bring all these questions under one place in my opinion :) lol  But just as an FYI, i don't know if they increased the cost, or its based on area, but my cost recovery fee for 911 service was $3.00.

pc44

Not sure if it is based on area code.  It seems like CC charges $1.50/month plus $1.50 setup; so I could understand a $3.00 fee for the first month only.  See CC 911 Cost Recovery Fee.

How many months have you been with CC so far?
pc44

Nemesis

I just got my obi yesterday and signed up for CC today, so that maybe where the $3.00 is comings from.

pc44

Great! :)  Let's hope you're back to the $1.50/month soon.

Congrats on your New OBi !!!!!
pc44

Nemesis

Thanks, works great and was easy to set up so far :)

ccclapp

I'm not sure it was pointed out in this thread, but isnt it true there is another huge benefit to this setup:

You get the Caller Name Announce feature in GV to work on the OBi, where the default GV / obi config does not get it.  The reason the default config doesn't get it is because that config relies on GV -> google talk -> obi and google talk prevents it.  With this CC config the Caller Name Anounce bypasses google talk and goes: GV -> CC -> obi and works properly.

Note: the above will be true of any sip, etc between GV and obi, not just CC.

For me this is the primary reason for doing this config.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: ccclapp on August 24, 2012, 05:13:39 AM
I'm not sure it was pointed out in this thread, but isnt it true there is another huge benefit to this setup:

You get the Caller Name Announce feature in GV to work on the OBi, where the default GV / obi config does not get it.  The reason the default config doesn't get it is because that config relies on GV -> google talk -> obi and google talk prevents it.  With this CC config the Caller Name Anounce bypasses google talk and goes: GV -> CC -> obi and works properly.

Note: the above will be true of any sip, etc between GV and obi, not just CC.

For me this is the primary reason for doing this config.
Yes, that is a benefit.