News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHObi

For the past week I have been getting reports of incoming calls ringing and eventually going to voice mail but home phone rings either never or only once.

Switched to routing google voice through Anveo rather than callcentric and the reports continued.  Testing with my cell phone I can't make it happen.  Makes me think that maybe Google voice is having some issues with call routing.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

I have this set up and am having no problem.  Did you activate Google Voice mail on your cell phone?  If so That could account for a single ring.  It could suggest you have a filter wrong somewhere in Google Voice that is bypassing Anveo/Callcentric and the single ring is the result of the callback to voicemail initiated by the cellphone.  This would leave a call log on you Obi.  In the call log are the calls showing up at all and if so how long were the calls?  This might help troubleshoot what is going on.
Long live our new ObiLords!

slowbiscuit

It's a general GV to SIP service (CC, Anveo, etc.) routing issue which comes and goes, it's not anything we can fix.  Same issue has been reported at dslreports by others.  We'll just have to hope enough people notice and complain to get Google to do something.

User2020

I've been having the same issue for the past couple of months.  Some calls are ringing on the caller's end and they go to voicemail but the home phone never rings.  I have the CallCentric setup as described in the original post.  Is this a common issue now?

tome

I have had this problem off and on as well as a problem where our calls come in with CID of GeoConnect LLC rather than the correct information.  This too has been reported in GV forums and here as well.  It is a routing issue between GV and CLECs that are providing free DID numbers (as far as I can tell).  As others have said it has been reported to Google and whether or not they will do anything is unclear.  

What is clear is that the time of moving away from GV is quickly approaching.

Tom

mo832

I have read and reread this thread, especially the opening post and the original instructions. Now that I have a better feel for this from experience, I am firmly convinced that the original instructions need to be reordered to place the "inside the Obi" section before the "Google Voice" section. This is because GV will insist on calling the new DID (Callcentric) before it adds it as a forwarding number. The DID has to have a place to go to. If the Obi is not configured to receive the CC verification call from GV, you won't be able to "check off" the new CC number in your GV dashboard.

Can someone point out if I'm wrong? I have looked over it and thought about it at length, and I can't see how the existing instructions would ever work (in the current sequence). And that's why people get the "catch-22" described on the first page of the thread.

SteveInWA

This thread is two years old, and it is obsolete.

Just follow the instructions here for direct use of GV with OBi:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Or, if you want to use Callcentric or any other SIP provider with GV, then add that SIP provider to GV as a forwarding phone number, and configure your OBi with that SIP provider's credentials.

N7AS

You are correct.

Example: If SP1 is setup for GV, configure SP2 for CC. Make SP1 the Primary Line. Add the CC DID as a forwarding number in GV. The verification call will come into SP2 (Callcentric). You can hen uncheck Google Chat. All outbound calls will go out GV and inbound through your CC DID.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

N7AS

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

And N7AS, I was too tired/lazy to go re-write the complete, exhaustive guide to using OBi with GV plus a SIP ITSP, so thanks for adding that.

People, this does take a little bit of "think for yourself" initiative.

cluckercreek

Just a FYI--I'm still having great service from this combination on my Obi 110 & Obi 202. CNAM has worked flawlessly. CC's phone book feature is really great as well.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: mo832 on September 14, 2014, 07:06:32 PM
I have read and reread this thread, especially the opening post and the original instructions. Now that I have a better feel for this from experience, I am firmly convinced that the original instructions need to be reordered to place the "inside the Obi" section before the "Google Voice" section. This is because GV will insist on calling the new DID (Callcentric) before it adds it as a forwarding number. The DID has to have a place to go to. If the Obi is not configured to receive the CC verification call from GV, you won't be able to "check off" the new CC number in your GV dashboard.

Can someone point out if I'm wrong? I have looked over it and thought about it at length, and I can't see how the existing instructions would ever work (in the current sequence). And that's why people get the "catch-22" described on the first page of the thread.

I think you are mistaken on a very big point.  The original instructions (post #1 in this this thread) still work perfectly if you are signing up for a new GV number and want to use CC to make CNAM work on an analog phone.  

However, if you are porting an existing number to GV, then yes some reordering is needed. I'm about to go through a port to GV again, an exiting number, (for the 5th or 6th time) and will take some detailed notes and reply back again.

Quote from: cluckercreek on September 15, 2014, 06:04:40 AM
Just a FYI--I'm still having great service from this combination on my Obi 110 & Obi 202. CNAM has worked flawlessly. CC's phone book feature is really great as well.
Agreed. This still works great. I'm speaking for five or six different setups, two of which I own and have used for 24 months, since the first post laid out how to do this, (thanks Mr/Ms pc44).

willc

Hi all

Recently my Obi 202 died so I bought a replacement and decided to try out this info to get cname on my calls since I was resetting everything up anyways.

The problem I'm having is every incoming call to my Google voice forwards to cc and then to my obi as expected but the caller id is always the same name and number no matter who is actually calling me.  It always shows "Southampton NY 16313775400".  The free line I signed up for with CC is actually a Southampton NY number but not the number that shows up on the caller id so I know that probably figures in somewhere with this problem.  ???

CC says it's Google's problem as usual.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Oh, I have Sp3 as Google voice and it shows "Connected" and Sp4 is CC and it shows "Registered"
Sp1 and Sp2 are not used but will be later today when my other phone number is finished porting to Ring.to

cluckercreek

I would check back in your Google settings for the phone number settings. Make sure it is set to forward the "callers number" and not the Google number.

willc

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.  I did double check and I have the settings correct as far as I can see.

I have discovered that calling my CC number directly from my cell phone the caller id shows up fine but when I call my Google voice number with the same cell phone the caller id is back to Southampton NY 6313775400.

When I enable Google chat again and disable forwarding to CC in my Google voice settings the caller id shows the usual and correct phone number with Unknown name like it's supposed to.

Very strange.

Rick

It's a Google issue and currently being investigated.  All my calls show a number in East Hampton for a locksmith...

SteveInWA

Quote from: Rick on September 29, 2014, 07:44:39 AM
It's a Google issue and currently being investigated.  All my calls show a number in East Hampton for a locksmith...

I'm working with Google, using data from Rick and another member, to take another stab at this.  The problem surfaced last year, if I recall correctly, and eventually went away; now it's back.  I'll update this forum if/when I get a response from Google.  I don't know yet if it can or will be fixed.

"Do not attempt to adjust your set".  There is nothing you are doing that is causing this.  If you don't want to (or can't) put up with this in the mean time, you can obtain a paid DID from Callcentric that doesn't go through their own CLEC, Telengy.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 29, 2014, 06:21:36 PM
Quote from: Rick on September 29, 2014, 07:44:39 AM
It's a Google issue and currently being investigated.  All my calls show a number in East Hampton for a locksmith...

I'm working with Google, using data from Rick and another member, to take another stab at this.  The problem surfaced last year, if I recall correctly, and eventually went away; now it's back.  I'll update this forum if/when I get a response from Google.  I don't know yet if it can or will be fixed.

"Do not attempt to adjust your set".  There is nothing you are doing that is causing this.  If you don't want to (or can't) put up with this in the mean time, you can obtain a paid DID from Callcentric that doesn't go through their own CLEC, Telengy.

I stumbled on this thread from last year from DSL Reports, where the same issue is discussed and dissected: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28804164-General-Callcentric-and-Google-Voice-CID-issue~start=30, ... note also the link to the relevant GV Product Forums discussion on the issue.

Edit to add: I see BluesCat is part of that discussion on the GV Product Forums, apologies to him for pointing to something he was already involved with.

SteveInWA

Note that DSLReports user "Iscream" apparently works for Callcentric.  His posts get a bit testy and defensive, but understandably so.  CC has gone out of their way to help explain and diagnose it.  He points to what I am pursuing with Google at this time; a possible problem with what he calls an "aggregator", or transit carrier. 

In simpler terms, someone calls your Google Voice number.  Next, Google is not a regulated telephone company (CLEC).  So, it buys telephone network services from a variety of carriers, both to terminate numbers (host them on a phone switch, so that it can be called by other numbers), and to transport the forwarded outbound calls to your forwarding phone numbers' destinations.  So at this point, Google's system then selects a transit carrier to send the call to your Callcentric DID.  We think that the CID / CNAM is getting altered in that path, before it reaches CC.

On a related note, Iscream describes the business and technical decisions that CC has made to make call quality and reliability a priority, at some added expense over the competition.  There's been a lot of focus here on this forum on finding the very cheapest internet telephone service provider, with some charging much lower per-minute rates.  This is an example of "you get what you pay for".  I've been accused of being a shill for CC, but I simply appreciate their approach, and support it with my business.  Other folks may be satisfied with a lower-priced solution; to each his/her own.

Google, by the way, does use multiple carriers, but its focus is also on reliability and call quality, and it is doing a lot of work internally to optimize both those things.

Again, I don't know if or when I can get this fixed, but I'm devoting some time and resources now to focusing on it.

Rick

It would be nice if it got fixed, since all calls appear the same rendering Callerid useless.  Otherwise I want a refund from GV...   ::)