News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsnaab

CC is very cool for allowing folks to have free numbers & I have an account there with no numbers in it at present - but considering adding a couple again, now.

I have used the path of GV=>CC=>phone before with their free numbers, and this seems to introduce some longer lag times than the Obi ever had;
Currently using GV=>GVGW=>phone with a SIP-only phone & it seems to have zero lag.

This makes me wonder if the current, permanent failure mode of my Obi110 is best 'patched' via one of the above, or some other option yet to be heard of ??

Thanks for any helpful replies.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Strangelove on December 05, 2017, 11:59:29 AM
I'm also having some trouble with CNAM.

I have set up Callcentric with E911 and a New York phone number for the $1.50/mo + setup fee.
I have enabled Caller ID with name in the Callcentric dashboard
I have set Google Voice to forward to the Callcentric number
I have set up the Obihai 202 with Callcentric on SP3 (incoming only except for 911), and Google Voice on SP4

Since I am testing this out prior to pulling the plug on my landline, I currently have my landline phone forwarding to my Google Voice number, which is then forwarding to the Callcentric number.

So I've noticed something interesting ... when I call the Callcentric number directly from my cellphone, I get Caller ID with name as expected. However, when I call the Google Voice number that forwards to the Callcentric number, I only get the Caller ID number (no name - it just reports "Out of area" for the name).

Another odd thing ... I've subsequently tried to duplicate the Caller ID with name by calling the Callcentric number directly, and get an error that "the number that you have dialed has been temporarily disconnected." But when I call the Google Voice number, the call goes through without a problem (except for the lack of name in the Caller ID, of course).

Do I have an error in my setup?

Steve

I can't make sense out of what you meant in your post, and how your question relates to E911?  Perhaps I could just describe how it does work.

You have an inbound Google Voice number.  Google Voice is a call forwarding system.  You tell GV to forward your inbound calls to your Callcentric NY DID number.  You configure that CC DID as an SP on your OBi, using the OBiTALK web portal.  On the SP settings page, you check the box to use THIS SP for emergency calling.  This will modify your OBi's digit map to send calls with the digits 911 to the CC SP, even if the default is to use Google Voice for outbound calls.

As for CNAM:  Google Voice, by itself, does not do CNAM LIDB lookups.  All calls forwarded to Google Chat (which is what OBi devices use as a client to connect to your GV number) will only display the caller ID telephone number.  By forwarding the call to an actual telephone number whose carrier does do CNAM lookups (Callcentric in this case), THAT carrier is sending the CNAM to your OBi on that SP.

GPz1100

@vtsnaab

We've been using GV-->CC-->obi for about 9 months now with the free DID.  Can't say we've experienced any noticeable lag.  Calls sound the same as they do when placing outbound calls directly through gv as far as lag/latency.  Maybe certain internet routes/isp's play a role.  Overall we've been very happy with the service.

Devices used - obi200 & obi202.

Strangelove

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 05, 2017, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: Strangelove on December 05, 2017, 11:59:29 AM
I'm also having some trouble with CNAM.

I have set up Callcentric with E911 and a New York phone number for the $1.50/mo + setup fee.
I have enabled Caller ID with name in the Callcentric dashboard
I have set Google Voice to forward to the Callcentric number
I have set up the Obihai 202 with Callcentric on SP3 (incoming only except for 911), and Google Voice on SP4

Since I am testing this out prior to pulling the plug on my landline, I currently have my landline phone forwarding to my Google Voice number, which is then forwarding to the Callcentric number.

So I've noticed something interesting ... when I call the Callcentric number directly from my cellphone, I get Caller ID with name as expected. However, when I call the Google Voice number that forwards to the Callcentric number, I only get the Caller ID number (no name - it just reports "Out of area" for the name).

Another odd thing ... I've subsequently tried to duplicate the Caller ID with name by calling the Callcentric number directly, and get an error that "the number that you have dialed has been temporarily disconnected." But when I call the Google Voice number, the call goes through without a problem (except for the lack of name in the Caller ID, of course).

Do I have an error in my setup?

Steve

I can't make sense out of what you meant in your post, and how your question relates to E911?  Perhaps I could just describe how it does work.

You have an inbound Google Voice number.  Google Voice is a call forwarding system.  You tell GV to forward your inbound calls to your Callcentric NY DID number.  You configure that CC DID as an SP on your OBi, using the OBiTALK web portal.  On the SP settings page, you check the box to use THIS SP for emergency calling.  This will modify your OBi's digit map to send calls with the digits 911 to the CC SP, even if the default is to use Google Voice for outbound calls.

As for CNAM:  Google Voice, by itself, does not do CNAM LIDB lookups.  All calls forwarded to Google Chat (which is what OBi devices use as a client to connect to your GV number) will only display the caller ID telephone number.  By forwarding the call to an actual telephone number whose carrier does do CNAM lookups (Callcentric in this case), THAT carrier is sending the CNAM to your OBi on that SP.

Sorry, it doesn't relate to E911 at all; I was just trying to describe how I have set up to Obi202. The E911 set up is as you describe.

The question I have (and this is why I'm on this thread) is about CNAM. For incoming calls, one would dial my Google Voice number, which forwards to the Callcentric number that is linked to the Obi202. Doing this, I see the telephone number of the original caller but not their name. However, if one calls the Callcentric number directly (thereby bypassing Google Voice), then I see the original caller's name and number.

My interpretation is that Callcentric is working correctly, but somehow the caller's name is being filtered when it travels through Google Voice (the number of the original caller still comes through). This seems counter to the experience of most people on this thread unless there was an error with Google Voice, or an error in the setup. Since I'm a newbie, I'm guessing it's the latter.

Hope that clarifies, and appreciate your help!

Steve

SteveInWA

Ah, I see.  This sounds like user error:  I believe that your obi is still receiving the inbound calls from Google Voice via Google Chat/XMPP, not Callcentric.

Using a desktop/laptop web browser, go to the old, "Legacy" Google Voice Settings page.  Remove the check mark from the "Google Chat" entry.  If you have not already done so, add the Callcentric number as a linked, forwarding phone number, and add a check mark to it.  Now, your calls will go from Google Voice to Callcentric and ring on the Callcentric SP on your OBi.

TerryaG

Thanks to jamesh for the tip on the CC registration error on the Obi.  When I looked at my CC Extensions config, it appeared that a SIP password was already populated (asterisks), so I didn't try to enter anything there, assuming it was using the CC account password.  After I re-entered my CC web password here, then CC successfully registered on the Obi.  So maybe they have a default password, like the SIP no. or something was just out of sync between the two.  I found Jamesh's post to be better than the original on page 1 of this thread for the setup process, if you're using the simpler Obi Dashboard for setup.

Everything else worked mostly smoothly.  I ported my Vonage no. to a Tmobile phone, then ported from Tmobile to Google Voice.  The Vonage to TMobile took about 2 days, and the Tmobile to Google took about 24 hrs.  I already had GV set up, so then it was just a matter of configuring it with CC, per instructions.  I also paid the initial $3 using Paypal, then added another $20 to the CC account for future billing from Paypal, per others' suggestions.  I then tried 933, that worked.  I called my local non-emergency no. for the police dept., who told me to call 911 and tell them it was a non-emergency.  The same guy answered who I'd just talked to, and confirmed the address.  Sweet!

Just to let anyone new know that even though this thread is a few years old, it still works as directed.  Just read through the entire thread for some gotcha's and good suggestions!  This thread should probably be a sticky, based on the number of reads.  :)

Thanks,

Terry

maryrabbit

Hi, sorry for posting on an old topic, but I just wanted to let people who might be interested in trying this know that it still works. Signed up with Google Voice, Callcentric, and Obihai this week and attempted this for the first time as per the instructions. Currently CNAM is showing up, 911 is working, no problems. Thanks to whomever came up with this great method!

C6silver

While this setup guide certainly works, it does not seem that Callcentric offers CNAM for free accounts anymore. I too followed this excellent guide and everything in terms of receiving calls worked. However, I noticed that I was still not getting names for calls coming in, just numbers with "Out of Area". I looked further on the Callcentric site and found this in their FAQ:

"CNAM is available to all Callcentric customers for any paid phone numbers on your account; including all of our North America phone number products:"  https://www.callcentric.com/faq/31/309

So unless I am misunderstanding, it does not appear that this workaround for CNAM is viable anymore without getting a paid account.

GPz1100

Odd.  I have a totally free callcentric account. Just tested cnam with a softphone (sorry, obi's are associated with the paid account, soft phone is not).  It successfully showed cnam on a test call.

Of course not all numbers have cnam associated with them and/or are registered with a cnam. I don't believe there's any setting in the obi to block cnam, just enable/disable callerid and the method (under phone ports settings).

Taoman

Quote from: C6silver on August 31, 2018, 11:12:07 AM

So unless I am misunderstanding, it does not appear that this workaround for CNAM is viable anymore without getting a paid account.

Yes, you are misunderstanding. If you looked at your call history directly on your OBi device or the Callcentric call records you would see if you are getting CNAM.

Chances are you still have your OBi as a linked forwarding device in your GV setup which is beating the forward to Callcentric.
Go to the link below and uncheck your OBi device. You will also have to uncheck it for your Google Groups/Contacts.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

C6silver

Quote from: Taoman on August 31, 2018, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: C6silver on August 31, 2018, 11:12:07 AM

Yes, you are misunderstanding. If you looked at your call history directly on your OBi device or the Callcentric call records you would see if you are getting CNAM.

Chances are you still have your OBi as a linked forwarding device in your GV setup which is beating the forward to Callcentric.
Go to the link below and uncheck your OBi device. You will also have to uncheck it for your Google Groups/Contacts.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

On the dashboard for Callcentric I am seeing my most recent received calls in "Calls Received". This tells me that the calls are definitely going to Callcentric; however, you were right that the Obi device was also checked so I have unchecked it. I'll see what happens. Odd that their FAQ indicates CNAM is only available on paid accounts, but great if that FAQ is wrong!

Taoman

Quote from: C6silver on August 31, 2018, 12:03:20 PM
This tells me that the calls are definitely going to Callcentric;

But that doesn't mean the calls are getting to your OBi device. Login to your OBi device using the local ip address (admin/admin for username/password) and look at your call history. You will see that the incoming calls were being received on your GV SP trunk and not your Callcentric SP trunk.

luap34

Quote from: jamesh on August 24, 2017, 04:41:17 AM
Configuring CNAM and 911
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This thread started in 2012 so this post is intended to document a more recent
configuration experience.

I started with gv911 (http://www.gv911.com) for $12 per year.  I got that
working but could not live without inbound caller name so I ended up going
with Callcentric for $18 per year.  Callcentric bills $1.50 a month but they
will maintain an account balance so I prepaid them $20 to minimize accounting.

1. establish a free CallCentric DID (Direct Inward Dial) phone number
  https://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number
  Note: "Free" is a misnomer.  DID is technically free but 911 is required
        for free DID so the actual cost is $1.50 per month.
2. Enable CallCentric CNAM
  go to the CallCentric home page for your account
  https://my.callcentric.com/home.php
  click on My Account/Preferences
  set "Caller ID with name (Inbound calls)" to Enable  
3. go to the OBiTalk Dashboard to register your Callcentric DID number
  https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev
  find a free SP (service provider) and click through the following pages:
     SP<N>/Next/CallCentric
  configure the follwing options:
                        Configuration Name: CallCentric DID CNAM
           Primary Line for Outgoing Calls: uncheck  
                    Voicemail Notification: uncheck          
             7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN: <local area code>
  Use This Service for Emergency 911 Calls: check
                        CallCentric Number: <SIP #>
                      CallCentric Password: <web password>

Note: your <SIP #> is found by going to your Callcentric account home page
        https://my.callcentric.com/home.php
        "CallCentric Number" field
4. optional: make SP2 ring pattern "normal" like SP1
  enter OBi Expert Configuration mode:
  go to https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev
  click on your device under "My OBi Devices"
  scroll to bottom of page and click on "OBi Expert Configuration"
  expand Voice Services, SP<n> for CallCentric, X_RingProfile
  X_RingProfile
  OBiTalk Settings: uncheck    
  Value: A
5. assuming the Callcentric status is "Registered" on the
  OBi Dashboard Status, add and verify the CallCentric phone number to
  Google Voice:
  go to https://voice.google.com/voicemail
  Find the three vertical ... and click to expand more options
  go to Legacy Google Voice/Settings/Phones
  click on the Settings wheel in the right hand corner
  click on "Add another phone" and go through the process
  uncheck forwarding to Google chat
  check CallCentric
6. test 911 by calling 933  

Thanks Jamesh and others for the excellent step by step details. I was able to set this up with no technical issues. The only issue I ran into is that my VPN software raised a flag in Callcentric's system that prompted them to place a hold on completing account setup/verification -- so heads up for everybody on that. They requested responses to a few questions -- which I answered, and they then cleared the way for the process to continue and be completed. The rest of the steps were then completed without issue and setup was successfully tested and is working!

phreich

ALERT!!!!!

Callcentric site says free DID's are no longer available, and will be terminating existing ones on 2/28/19.

Here's the announcement from the old signup page:
Free Phone Number
RESIDENTIAL OR BUSINESS

We are not accepting any new orders, this plan has been discontinued.

Any numbers that are currently active on this plan will remain in service until February 28, 2019.

Customers with existing Free Phone Numbers, who would like to keep them active, are encouraged to convert their numbers to our NEW Dollar Unlimited Phone Number plan.

For additional information, please check our FAQ Section.

And, per their FAQ:
What is my option if i just need Inbound Caller ID/CNAM and 911 Service?
For this use case you are most likely routing Calls from another Provider/Carrier to Callcentric(Eg: Google Voice). The most cost effective plan here would be the Dollar Unlimited plan.

Here is your recurring monthly cost:

Dollar Unlimited Phone Number: $1.00
911 Service: $1.50
Total: $2.50/month
-- NYC Sales tax will apply to the Dollar Unlimited plan if you live in New York.

I thought you all would want to know, which means the price just went up from $18 (which just included a $1.50/month 911 charge) to $30 to continue using a Callcentric DID.

Philip

drgeoff

Quote from: phreich on January 14, 2019, 08:43:46 PM
ALERT!!!!!

Callcentric site says free DID's are no longer available, and will be terminating existing ones on 2/28/19.
All that was known more than a month ago.  See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=15466.msg96571#msg96571

Heishe

Can someone help me set up CNAM with call centric. I have purchase a new did number. It is a receive only number for $1.00  I had this previously set up with my old 110 and I just bought a 202 . Anyway I think I have evevything set ok with Obitalk wizard but when I go to the google voice web page and try to forward my calls to my call centric number Google seeks to verify the number. It is unable to verify it. Call Centric informed me they block some verification services.

So how can I fix this. Is there a workaround I am missing . I myself looked in Obi Expert for one but I'm not as bright with this stuff like you guys.

Thank you if you can solve this riddle for me!

drgeoff

Quote from: Heishe on January 15, 2019, 05:16:58 PM
Can someone help me set up CNAM with call centric. I have purchase a new did number. It is a receive only number for $1.00  I had this previously set up with my old 110 and I just bought a 202 . Anyway I think I have evevything set ok with Obitalk wizard but when I go to the google voice web page and try to forward my calls to my call centric number Google seeks to verify the number. It is unable to verify it. Call Centric informed me they block some verification services.

So how can I fix this. Is there a workaround I am missing . I myself looked in Obi Expert for one but I'm not as bright with this stuff like you guys.

Does the Google verification call appear in your call history when you look in your account at callcentric.com?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Heishe on January 15, 2019, 05:16:58 PM

You need to provide more details as to exactly what you tried, and exactly what happened.

Yes, you can add and verify Callcentric $1 DIDs.  I just now tested it and it (still) works.  What you can't do, is use a Callcentric DID as an "admission ticket" to claim a new Google Voice number.  However, if you already have a Google Voice number, you can link a Callcentric number to it.

The other problem you may have encountered is that the default verification method is via text message, not via a phone call.  You need to click the link during the verification procedure to have Google call you on the phone.

Heishe

The phone call does not show up in Call Centric ? I paid for SMS service with call centric in the hopes I could see the text form Google Unfortunately Call Centric told me they do not support text messages from google

SteveInWA

Don't try to verify the number via text message.   It will not work.

Follow the alternate procedure to have Google Voice make a telephone call to that number.