News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heishe

Heishe

Well id did work ok. Now several days ago it works sometimes other times no. I would guess maybe 30% of the time I contacted call centric and they told me to turn off ringing on weekends and week nights . I don't have clue how this would affect this

drgeoff

Quote from: Heishe on February 02, 2019, 06:37:33 PM
Well id did work ok. Now several days ago it works sometimes other times no. I would guess maybe 30% of the time I contacted call centric and they told me to turn off ringing on weekends and week nights . I don't have clue how this would affect this
They are telling you to ensure that GV is not configured to forward incoming calls to your OBi at any time.  Your OBi will not get CNAME via Callcentric on a call that GV forwards both to Callcentric and directly to your OBi because the direct route will be quicker and your OBi will respond to it.

The settings are at voice.google.com, not at Callcentric.com, not at Obitalk.com.

SJMaye61

New Obi/GV guy here.  I wanted to get CNAM going with CC, but now the free phone number has been discontinued.  I could go with the Dollar Unlimited plan, but it is only offered in certain states.  Not TN for me.  A couple questions:

1- If I am using GV does it even matter what phone number I get from CC ?

2- Does the Dollar Unlimited Plan include e911 and CNAM?

zsak23

1.  The CC number only needs to be known to GV since GV will use it to forward calls to.  People will still call the GV number.  I am in Ohio and have 2 NY CC numbers I use.

2. The E911 is a separate charge ($1.50) in addition to the Dollar Unlimited.  The total charge would be $2.50 for both as there are no additional fees. 

There is the North American Basic plan which is $1.95 which includes E911 and 120 minutes outgoing calls per month.

CNAM is included in all options (once the feature is turned on in your settings)

SJMaye61

I have a question regarding callcentric and e911 service.

I purchased the Dollar Unlimited Plan.  With that I get CallerID CNAM and e911 service.  What is confusing to me is
how CC e911 service works if it is a Receive Calls only plan.  i.e. I would be dialing out for 911 service.   

I have purchased this, but setup yet.  Maybe it will make sense when I do so.

SteveInWA

No, that's not right.

It's confusing, but Callcentric sells inbound calling and outbound calling separately.  INbound plans do not include E911.

So, also buy the "North America Basic 120 minute" plan.  It provides the E911 service (normally $1.50/month by itself) plus 120 minutes of outbound calling that you can either ignore or use as backup when you need it or want to call out with a different phone number.

This endless discussion thread explains this, but briefly:

Assume you've set up Google Voice on SP1.  You will then set up Callcentric on SP2.  The OBiTALK portal will display a page where you enter the Callcentric credentials and check the box to use this SP for 911 calls.  When you call 911, the call will be routed through SP2, regardless of SP1 being set as the default for outbound calls.

When you do this, click SP2 on the OBiTALK dashboard device page, then, on the next page, where it invites you to use Google Voice, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click "OBiTALK compatible service providers".  On the next page, click "Callcentric".  On the next page,fill in the information.

You need to first configure your Callcentric service on their dashboard.  Click the various tabs and make your selections.  You need to create a SIP password.  It can be the same password you used as the Callcentric password, or you can use whatever other password you wish.  Don't make it obvious or trivial.  You will fill in the 1777xxxxxxx Callcentric account number and the SIP password on the OBiTALK page.

zsak23

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 11, 2019, 01:41:52 PM
I have a question regarding callcentric and e911 service.

I purchased the Dollar Unlimited Plan.  With that I get CallerID CNAM and e911 service.  What is confusing to me is
how CC e911 service works if it is a Receive Calls only plan.  i.e. I would be dialing out for 911 service.  

I have purchased this, but setup yet.  Maybe it will make sense when I do so.

See https://www.callcentric.com/911

and https://www.callcentric.com/faq/23#532

zsak23

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 11, 2019, 01:55:35 PM
No, that's not right.

It's confusing, but Callcentric sells inbound calling and outbound calling separately.  INbound plans do not include E911.

But can't E911 be bought separately once an Inbound plan has been purchased?  That's how I have it setup, or is that legacy?

ETA: Reading https://www.callcentric.com/faq/23  (E911 FAQ)
I interpret this to say CC is required to provide E911 for all numbers but the cost is only included in Outbound plans and has to be billed separately for Inbound plans.

SJMaye61

Hi zsak,  Steve's answer on the 911 was clear and concise.  I caught where I needed to enable CNAM on the CC preferences.  Did that.  I did the test call from my cell. I got no CNAM.  My phone's display showed the incoming number with the same incoming number above that where the CNAM should be.  I think this could be because it is coming from a cell ?

I will need something else to call in.

zsak23

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 12, 2019, 04:50:26 AM
Hi zsak,  as I moved forward with the instructions to configure CC in to my home phone system I did a search within this thread and found the answer from Steve on how 911 worked.  All good there.

In the middle of the configuration now.  Will let you know how it turned out.

Almost everything I know about OBi, Google Voice and Callcentric I have learned from Steve.

Be sure to test it by calling 933 and 933#.  There is a difference in the time the call is answered in.

If you want to use https://nomorobo.com then be sure to have the IP Freedom plan ($0.00) added to your account.  There is a nifty way to use a Call Treatment to invoke Nomorobo.

SJMaye61

Quote from: zsak23 on March 12, 2019, 05:07:26 AM
Be sure to test it by calling 933 and 933#.  There is a difference in the time the call is answered in.

If you want to use https://nomorobo.com then be sure to have the IP Freedom plan ($0.00) added to your account.  There is a nifty way to use a Call Treatment to invoke Nomorobo.

I did a test call as you mentioned.  933 did not do anything, but 933# did reach the 911 verification center.  The information on my 911 address was correct.

Thanks for the tip on the IP Freedom Plan.  I will certainly use it.

SJMaye61

Quote from: zsak23 on March 12, 2019, 05:07:26 AM
If you want to use https://nomorobo.com then be sure to have the IP Freedom plan ($0.00) added to your account.  There is a nifty way to use a Call Treatment to invoke Nomorobo.

I do have IP Freedom already on my CC account.  I tried going to Nomorobo website to setup, but it does not list Callcentric as a supported provider.  It did list Google Voice, but when I selected it they later say it is not supported.

What is the trick with "Call Treatments".  Are the directions for this listed somewhere that you could point me to?

zsak23

Pick Vonage.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8799.msg88858;topicseen#msg88858

read the whole thread but Taoman's approach is the one that I use.

zsak23

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 12, 2019, 05:32:47 AM933 did not do anything, but 933# did reach the 911 verification center.  The information on my 911 address was correct.

You need to wait for 933 (without the #) to connect.  My understanding is the default OBi setting allows for a slow entry of the numbers as if someone is having trouble.  I just tested it and it took 13 seconds before the connection is made.  The # truncates the entry and connects right away.

azrobert

The OBi long delay is defined on speed dial numbers. When 911 is dialed there is up to a 9 second delay after the "9" is dialed and another up to 9 second delay after the 1st "1". If someone is having trouble dialing 911, OBi doesn't want speed dial 9 or 91 executed. After the 2nd "1" is dialed there is a 2 second delay. Any longer delay is network or provider delay.

If you want to eliminate the 2 second delay, remove the following rules from the Primary Line's DigitMap:
xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.

When "933" is dialed there is a 10 second delay after the second "3". This is caused by not having "933" defined in the Phone Port or Primary Line DigitMap. It works with the 10 second delay because of "xx." defined in the Primary Line's DigitMap. If you take my suggestion and remove "xx.", dialing "933" will fail.

To fix the "933" problems just add "|933" to the Phone Port DigitMap. A good place is after "911".

Edit:

I made a mistake in the above post. Removing the 3 rules will not eliminate the 2 second delay on 911.
If you want to eliminate the 2 second delay on 911 change the rule to "911S0" without the quotes.

SteveInWA

This thread is getting really convoluted.  Please stay on-topic.

There are two separate issues:  CNAM and E911.

Google Voice does not provide any sort of caller ID name for inbound calls made to a Google Voice phone number.  In the USA, caller ID name (CNAM) is added to the call data by the called party's carrier.  That carrier queries a database of matching names and phone numbers.  Google does not feed its users names into that database, nor does it pay to look up names.  So, the only way at this time to get CNAM is to detour the inbound calls through another service provider that does provide it - in this case, Callcentric.

You need to use Google Voice settings (https://voice.google.com/settings) to turn off inbound call forwarding to your OBi, and then link (add) your Callcentric 10-digit telephone number (NOT the 1777xxxxxxx number) as a forwarding phone number on Google Voice.  You then set up Callcentric on your OBi as the default for inbound calls.  This has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

Callcentric's IP freedom thing is irrelevant.  It merely assigns users a 1777 number that can be used for certain VoIP<-->VoIP purposes...unnecessary for Google Voice, because you will use regular PSTN telephone network forwarding.

E911 service should simply work, with no additional configuration needed, assuming you subscribe to the service with Callentric.  As I already explained, it is NOT included with any INbound plan, since it is an OUTbound call.  So, you also need to sign up for either the a la carte 911 service at $1.50 / month, or their Basic plan for $1.95/month.

I strongly advise against the digit map modifications proposed by azrobert.  911 is a life safety issue, and making manual changes to the routing already managed by OBiTALK on the configuration form shouldn't be overridden, as you are likely to forget what you did some years from now.

SJMaye61

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 12, 2019, 03:02:15 PM
You need to use Google Voice settings (https://voice.google.com/settings) to turn off inbound call forwarding to your OBi, and then link (add) your Callcentric 10-digit telephone number (NOT the 1777xxxxxxx number) as a forwarding phone number on Google Voice.  You then set up Callcentric on your OBi as the default for inbound calls.  This has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

After following (i think) the instructions for configuring for Callcentric I went back to turn off forwarding to my Obi, but it is not listed there at all now.  See attachment.  It simply shows my 10-digit CC phone number and forwarding is on.  I assume all is good?

zsak23

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 13, 2019, 06:24:40 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on March 12, 2019, 03:02:15 PM

After following (i think) the instructions for configuring for Callcentric I went back to turn off forwarding to my Obi, but it is not listed there at all now.  See attachment.  It simply shows my 10-digit CC phone number and forwarding is on.  I assume all is good?

Select Legacy Google Voice
In the upper right of the screen should be a gear icon, select Settings
There should be an OBiTALK option