News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: zsak23 on March 13, 2019, 06:37:11 AM
Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 13, 2019, 06:24:40 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on March 12, 2019, 03:02:15 PM
You need to use Google Voice settings (https://voice.google.com/settings) to turn off inbound call forwarding to your OBi, and then link (add) your Callcentric 10-digit telephone number (NOT the 1777xxxxxxx number) as a forwarding phone number on Google Voice.  You then set up Callcentric on your OBi as the default for inbound calls.  This has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

After following (i think) the instructions for configuring for Callcentric I went back to turn off forwarding to my Obi, but it is not listed there at all now.  See attachment.  It simply shows my 10-digit CC phone number and forwarding is on.  I assume all is good?

Select Legacy Google Voice
In the upper right of the screen should be a gear icon, select Settings
There should be an OBiTALK option

No, don't do that either.  Neither of those things are right.

Go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings

See my screeenshot.  Toggle OFF (gray) inbound calls for your OBiTALK device.

zsak23

I'm glad control of the OBi devices have finally shown up in the new settings!  I've been too used to going to the Legacy page.

SJMaye61

Mine look a little different.  Here are both GV Settings and GV Legacy Settings.  In GV Settings my CC # is not shown as one of my devices, but it is call forwarding to it.  GV Legacy Settings has forwarding going to both the OBI and the CC phone number.

Can I assume I need to stop forwarding calls to the OBI?  Do I need to somehow get my CC phone listed un My Devices?

SteveInWA

Yes, toggle the OBiTALK device off.

Phone numbers are not devices.  Toggle the phone number On.

SJMaye61

Can you explain how voicemail works since I am forwarding calls to CC?  Does this mean GV has nothing to do at all with voicemail?  So, GV webapp would never see a voicemail?

I really just want to know how the call is handled.  In my case I want my phone's answering machine to handle these messages.  So far it has worked fine.

zsak23

If you don't get a lot of SPAM calls then things should be set.  All your calls should end up at your answering machine unless there are calls at the same time.  You can set Callcentric to email audio of any voicemails they collect.

If you get a lot of SPAM calls then it's time to learn how to use Callcentric Call Treatments and their Phone Book.

SJMaye61

OK.  I will monitor for spam calls.  So far GV is catching most of them. 

One thing.  I tested this morning by using my cell phone to call my GV number.  The call came through to the home phone, but it has a weird short double ring.   Not like the standard ring I have been getting.  I don't think that was happening before switching off call forwarding to Obi.  I will switch back on and check.

Is this normal?

azrobert

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 14, 2019, 05:45:30 AM
Is this normal?

SP2 probably was assigned a different ring pattern. Use OBi Expert to make the following change:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_DefaultRing: 1

[sarcasm on]I strongly advise against making OBi expert modifications because you might be too stupid to remember what you did.[sarcasm off]

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on March 14, 2019, 07:58:26 AM
Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 14, 2019, 05:45:30 AM
Is this normal?

SP2 probably was assigned a different ring pattern. Use OBi Expert to make the following change:

[sarcasm on]I strongly advise against making OBi expert modifications because you might be too stupid to remember what you did.[sarcasm off]

Go back and read what I said.  If you can't understand why, then you ought not comment.

I strongly advise against the digit map modifications proposed by azrobert.  911 is a life safety issue, and making manual changes to the routing already managed by OBiTALK on the configuration form shouldn't be overridden, as you are likely to forget what you did some years from now.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 14, 2019, 09:54:30 AM
Go back and read what I said.  If you can't understand why, then you ought not comment.

You go back and read what I suggested.  If you can't understand the modifications, then you ought not comment.

The bulk of my post was explaining how things work. I suggested removing 3 rules and adding "933" to a DigitMap. None of these changes affects 911. Are you suggesting nobody should use OBi Expert for any change because it might affect 911?

SJMaye61

Makes total sense.  If the incoming call routed through GV has one ringtone and when an incoming call is instead forwarded to CC, then to the Obi it makes total sense that the ringtone for the first service could be set differently from the second service.  Here is the deal that is troubling - they aren't.  See the attachments.

I listened to the double ringtone.  It sounds like something the phone does periodically that I never fully understood.  i.e. it may be the phone.  I just can't see how the phone would know one call is coming from GV the other from CC.

zsak23

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 14, 2019, 12:26:36 PM
Makes total sense.  If the incoming call routed through GV has one ringtone and when an incoming call is instead forwarded to CC, then to the Obi it makes total sense that the ringtone for the first service could be set differently from the second service.  Here is the deal that is troubling - they aren't.  See the attachments.

I listened to the double ringtone.  It sounds like something the phone does periodically that I never fully understood.  i.e. it may be the phone.  I just can't see how the phone would know one call is coming from GV the other from CC.

Look higher in the settings, there is Ring Profile A in the first and Ring Profile B in the second.

Taoman

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 14, 2019, 12:26:36 PM
If the incoming call routed through GV has one ringtone and when an incoming call is instead forwarded to CC, then to the Obi it makes total sense that the ringtone for the first service could be set differently from the second service.  Here is the deal that is troubling - they aren't.

Actually, they are different. Although you are using the same X_DefaultRing pattern for both services you are using different X_RingProfiles.

X_DefaultRing 1 pattern using X_RingProfile A is not the same as X_DefaultRing 1 using X_RingProfile B.

Edit: I see zsak23 already mentioned this.

SJMaye61

OK.  I see SP2 has X_ServProvProfile, X_RingProfile, and X_CodecProfile all with B selected and all have an asterisk next to them. 

Should I just make them match SP1?

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on March 14, 2019, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on March 14, 2019, 09:54:30 AM

You go back and read what I suggested.  If you can't understand the modifications, then you ought not comment.

The bulk of my post was explaining how things work. I suggested removing 3 rules and adding "933" to a DigitMap. None of these changes affects 911. Are you suggesting nobody should use OBi Expert for any change because it might affect 911?

No, I am not suggesting never editing digit maps.  If this was someone who was asking for guidance on making a change that must be accomplished via expert digit map changes, then fine.  The problem is, not everyone spends all their time editing digit maps like you.  I am willing to bet that over 90 percent of people who buy OBi devices aren't that technically-minded; they just see "free phone service" and buy it.

The OP here is asking very basic questions, not familiar/understanding how things work.  This happens nearly every time you give somebody a bunch of digit maps.  Something doesn't work, and you spend the next 16 posts back and forth, fiddling with it.  Very few people will remember how it was done, years later.

It is always, always better to use the simplest solution available.  In this particular case, it is so simple to check-mark a box on the portal, that there is no need to do it any other way.

SJMaye61

Quote from: SJMaye61 on March 14, 2019, 01:56:15 PM
OK.  I see SP2 has X_ServProvProfile, X_RingProfile, and X_CodecProfile all with B selected and all have an asterisk next to them. 

Should I just make them match SP1?

I don't know what a digital map is.  Does it mean I should not modify the settings above under Obi expert?

azrobert

Just make the following 2 changes:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RingProfile: A

Do NOT change X_ServProvProfile. You will break SP2. When set to B, it points to ITSP Profile B.
I wouldn't change X_CodecProfile either.

You don't need to understand digit maps to make these changes. Digit maps are rules used to validate dialed numbers and then route the call to a provider. If you want to learn about this stuff, open a new thread and start asking questions.

SJMaye61

Quote from: azrobert on March 14, 2019, 06:39:33 PM
Just make the following 2 changes:
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RingProfile: A

Do NOT change X_ServProvProfile. You will break SP2. When set to B, it points to ITSP Profile B.
I wouldn't change X_CodecProfile either.

You don't need to understand digit maps to make these changes. Digit maps are rules used to validate dialed numbers and then route the call to a provider. If you want to learn about this stuff, open a new thread and start asking questions.

Done.  A little early in the morning yet to test.  I will let you know.  As far as digit maps, I will leave that alone for now.  All I am trying to do is get the phone up and running with incoming callerID name.  It all looks good and seems to work, but I have not had a call yet to verify CNAM is working.  By that I mean I am calling from my cell phone as a test.  Yes, my name shows, but that is coming from the phone's phone book.  If I delete the phone book entry for my phone I doubt it would show up anyway as it is a cell phone.

Any other standard ways to test CNAM functionality?

zsak23

CNAM has to be enabled at CC.  On the Preferences->General page there is a Caller ID with name (Inbound calls) option.

SJMaye61

Got it and done.  I will find a way to test that today.