News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJMaye61

Just tested it.  I deleted my cellphone entry in my home phone contacts list.  Called the home phone and CNAM did work and the ringtone was now correct.

Thank you guys.  I think I am on my way.

KrisK

Hello I have the Obihai 200 and have it set up and working just fine but I do not have incoming caller ID or 911 service. I read online that I can purchase a Callcentric number. I set it up on my Obihai Web Portal and it still doesn't seem to be working. Can somebody please help and explain to me the steps that I need to do in order to get incoming Caller ID and 911 service set up correctly on my Obihai 200?
If possible can you include step by step instructions with pictures so I know exactly what I need to do.

Thank you so much!

dircom

Get a Callcentric #
Add the # to your Obi dashboard
foward your GV calls to the callcentric #
(you can check the spam filtering options in the callcentric dashboard.
be sure and check that caller id is checked

When someone calls your GV # it goes to Callcentric, and rings on your phone connected to the Obi, hopefully with caller ID now.

KrisK

Quote from: dircom on April 01, 2019, 11:45:10 AM
Get a Callcentric #
Add the # to your Obi dashboard
foward your GV calls to the callcentric #
(you can check the spam filtering options in the callcentric dashboard.
be sure and check that caller id is checked

When someone calls your GV # it goes to Callcentric, and rings on your phone connected to the Obi, hopefully with caller ID now.

That is how I have it set up and it doesn't show caller ID calls just come in as Unknown Caller with their number. Any advice?

dircom

In Callcentric under Preferences / CNAM
make sure CNAM is on

KrisK

Quote from: dircom on April 01, 2019, 12:11:27 PM
In Callcentric under Preferences / CNAM
make sure CNAM is on

I have already enabled CNAM on Callcentric.

Taoman

Go to the link listed below. Scroll down to "Incoming calls."

Under My devices, disable the slider next to your OBi device

Under Call forwarding, make sure the slider next to your Callcentric number is enabled.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/settings

KrisK

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2019, 01:35:25 PM
Go to the link listed below. Scroll down to "Incoming calls."

Under My devices, disable the slider next to your OBi device

Under Call forwarding, make sure the slider next to your Callcentric number is enabled.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/settings

I know you said to disable to slider next to Obi device under my devices. I am not seeing a way to "disable" it. The only option I see if to delete it, should I delete it?

Taoman

No, don't delete anything.

There's a reason I said "scroll down" and underlined Incoming calls in my previous post. Why do ya think that might be?

KrisK

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2019, 01:59:20 PM
No, don't delete anything.

There's a reason I said "scroll down" and underlined Incoming calls in my previous post. Why do ya think that might be?
Okay I misread your post. I disabled it now. Does everything look correct? Do I need to do anything more? Do I need to do anything on the Callcentric page? How do I know if 911 is working?

zsak23

Taoman

Quote from: KrisK on April 01, 2019, 02:13:38 PM

Okay I misread your post. I disabled it now. Does everything look correct? Do I need to do anything more? Do I need to do anything on the Callcentric page? How do I know if 911 is working?

Looks correct although you probably want to disable Web also unless you plan on answering calls on your computer.

Proof is in the pudding. What happens when you get an incoming call to your GV number?

Also, try dialing 933 as suggested and see what happens.

On your OBi dashboard, does it show Callcentric as being "Registered" under the Status column?

KrisK

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2019, 02:36:12 PM
Quote from: KrisK on April 01, 2019, 02:13:38 PM

Looks correct although you probably want to disable Web also unless you plan on answering calls on your computer.

Proof is in the pudding. What happens when you get an incoming call to your GV number?

Also, try dialing 933 as suggested and see what happens.

On your OBi dashboard, does it show Callcentric as being "Registered" under the Status column?
Ok I will disable the web option.

I will have to wait and see what happens when I receive a phone call on my GV number.

I called the 933 number and it read back a 516-xxx-xxxx number which is not my Callcentric number. I have a 631-xxx-xxxx number through callcentric. I have no idea what the 516 number is? Any idea? However, it did read back my correct address. How can I verify that I will be connected to a local police dispatcher?

Taoman

Quote from: KrisK on April 01, 2019, 02:50:32 PM

I will have to wait and see what happens when I receive a phone call on my GV number.

I called the 933 number and it read back a 516-xxx-xxxx number which is not my Callcentric number. I have a 631-xxx-xxxx number through callcentric. I have no idea what the 516 number is? Any idea? However, it did read back my correct address. How can I verify that I will be connected to a local police dispatcher?

All good signs. You wouldn't be able to dial 933 if your OBi wasn't registered. The fact it read back the correct address proves 911 is working. The 516 number is expected. It's used for call back purposes (if necessary) and isn't related to your Callcentric DID number.

KrisK

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2019, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: KrisK on April 01, 2019, 02:50:32 PM

All good signs. You wouldn't be able to dial 933 if your OBi wasn't registered. The fact it read back the correct address proves 911 is working. The 516 number is expected. It's used for call back purposes (if necessary) and isn't related to your Callcentric DID number.
Okay thank you for your time and help! Why would it have another call back number rather then my Callcentric number? Also paying Callcentric for the DID number for $1 and their North America Basic for $1.95 do I need to keep paying for the North America Basic or can I cancel that and it won't ruin my setup?

Taoman

Quote from: KrisK on April 01, 2019, 03:57:59 PM

Okay thank you for your time and help! Why would it have another call back number rather then my Callcentric number? Also paying Callcentric for the DID number for $1 and their North America Basic for $1.95 do I need to keep paying for the North America Basic or can I cancel that and it won't ruin my setup?

https://www.callcentric.com/faq/23#532  (look for "hidden phone number")

The most you could knock it down to is 2.50/month. You must have the DID and E911. The NAB plan also gives you 120 outbound minutes for an extra .45 cents which is definitely worth it. It's good to have a secondary outbound provider in case Google Voice is having issues. You can have Callcentric spoof your GV number for outbound calls.

KrisK

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2019, 04:16:48 PM
Quote from: KrisK on April 01, 2019, 03:57:59 PM

https://www.callcentric.com/faq/23#532  (look for "hidden phone number")

The most you could knock it down to is 2.50/month. You must have the DID and E911. The NAB plan also gives you 120 outbound minutes for an extra .45 cents which is definitely worth it. It's good to have a secondary outbound provider in case Google Voice is having issues. You can have Callcentric spoof your GV number for outbound calls.

Just curious how could I knock it down to $2.50/month? Now I should probably know the answer but if for some reason Google Voice is having issues. Do I need to configure the Callcentric to switch and make calls from that number? Also, how can you have Callcentric spoof your Google Voice numbers for outbound calls?

SteveInWA

It appears that you don't have a clear understanding on how any of this works.

Google Voice is a call forwarding service.  When someone calls your inbound Google Voice phone number, Google Voice will forward that call to the destinations you select.  You can select to have all calls forward only to VoIP clients (your web browser, your Android or iOS Google Voice mobile apps, and/or your OBiTALK device).  These are all SIP calls.  Optionally (either instead of, or in addition to SIP), you can forward calls to regular 10-digit US phone numbers, in addition to, or instead of, to SIP clients.

IF you want to use Callcentric, then you will a) go into Google Voice settings and DISable forwarding to your mobile phone(s)' Google Voice apps, and b) ENable forwarding to the Callcentric number, to pick up CNAM.

This setting is separate from outbound calling.  You will still make outbound calls via Google Voice, either from your web browser, or your OBiTALK device, or your mobile phone apps.  As a backup, IF you properly subscribe to Callcentric service plans, you can also call out directly from your Callcentric number as a backup.

Callcentric sells inbound calling, outbound calling, and 911 service a la carte.

The absolute minimum needed would be to subscribe to their "dollar unlimited" INbound service, which will become your "detour" for inbound calls to pick up CNAM, and to subscribe to their 911 service (remember, 911 calls are outbound calls) for $1.50/month.  That totals $2.50/month.  Optionally, instead of the $1.5o/month charge for 911 service, subscribe to the "North America Basic" OUTbound plan, which includes the 911 service AND 120 minutes of outbound calling, that you can either ignore, or you can use in case Google Voice is temporarily not working.

Taoman's comment about number spoofing simply means that, IF you subscribe to CC's outbound calling plan, you will be issued a Callcentric phone number.  By default, outbound calls made on that service will display your CC number's caller ID.  Optionally, you can go into CC's settings and tell it to substitute, or "spoof" your Google Voice's phone number as the outbound caller ID.

KrisK

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 01, 2019, 05:54:34 PM
It appears that you don't have a clear understanding on how any of this works.

Google Voice is a call forwarding service.  When someone calls your inbound Google Voice phone number, Google Voice will forward that call to the destinations you select.  You can select to have all calls forward only to VoIP clients (your web browser, your Android or iOS Google Voice mobile apps, and/or your OBiTALK device).  These are all SIP calls.  Optionally (either instead of, or in addition to SIP), you can forward calls to regular 10-digit US phone numbers, in addition to, or instead of, to SIP clients.

IF you want to use Callcentric, then you will a) go into Google Voice settings and DISable forwarding to your mobile phone(s)' Google Voice apps, and b) ENable forwarding to the Callcentric number, to pick up CNAM.

This setting is separate from outbound calling.  You will still make outbound calls via Google Voice, either from your web browser, or your OBiTALK device, or your mobile phone apps.  As a backup, IF you properly subscribe to Callcentric service plans, you can also call out directly from your Callcentric number as a backup.

Callcentric sells inbound calling, outbound calling, and 911 service a la carte.

The absolute minimum needed would be to subscribe to their "dollar unlimited" INbound service, which will become your "detour" for inbound calls to pick up CNAM, and to subscribe to their 911 service (remember, 911 calls are outbound calls) for $1.50/month.  That totals $2.50/month.  Optionally, instead of the $1.5o/month charge for 911 service, subscribe to the "North America Basic" OUTbound plan, which includes the 911 service AND 120 minutes of outbound calling, that you can either ignore, or you can use in case Google Voice is temporarily not working.

Taoman's comment about number spoofing simply means that, IF you subscribe to CC's outbound calling plan, you will be issued a Callcentric phone number.  By default, outbound calls made on that service will display your CC number's caller ID.  Optionally, you can go into CC's settings and tell it to substitute, or "spoof" your Google Voice's phone number as the outbound caller ID.

Okay I hope I have everything set up correctly. When I make a call from my home phones connected to my Obihai how do I know if they are going through Google Voice or through Callcentric?

I think I have all the settings set up correctly on my Obihai device, Google Voice settings, and on Callcentric.

Okay so I do have the North America Basic plan through Callcentric. How do I take advantage of those 120 minutes if for some reason my Google Voice isn't working?

With what you said about "spoofing" my Google Voice number. How do I go about doing that on my Callcentric page? Where will I find that option to "spoof" the Caller ID to show my Google Voice number?

Is it normal when I am on the phone using my Obi to be placed on hold with someone and it just becomes all static and I lose the call? And when I am on the phone and we hang up and if they hang up first it automatically brings back a dial tone without actually having to switch the phone off?

Also, what about voicemail? Should I set that up on Google Voice or should I set that up using Callcentric?

Sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I get this all set up correctly.