News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110, Land line port to GV, E911, Next Alarm, GVM, and Caller ID all working

Started by TomWa, July 13, 2012, 05:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomWa

After several weeks of reading various forums and experimenting with my alarm system and home phone, I finally got my OBI 110 set up with everything working. This post will hopefully save someone else a lot of time/effort. Thanks to all those who posted the solutions below (i.e. did the real work). 

1. Porting existing landline to Google Voice (GV).  Lots of options and info out there, but I ported my landline to a Verizon prepaid phone, and then ported that number to GV. Cost was $19.95 for a new phone and INCLUDED minutes plus another $20 to port that number to GV. I just missed getting a Verizon refurb phone with minutes for only $14.95.  After reading all the options (AT&T prepaid, T-mobile sim card, etc), I went with Verizon because I was able to purchase phone with minutes and port my number ALL online in one easy order--no calls to the service dept or separate porting request.  I did contact Verizon prepaid technical support during the port process, and they were VERY helpful and provided my account number with no quibbling. Everything went very well, but it took ~ 1 week to get the phone and all of the porting process to complete. Lived with a cell phone as our home phone for ~48 hours while the Verizon and GV port completed.  Everything followed closely to these posts and I did not have any problems (except being patient).
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/google-voice-a-step-by-step-primer-on-ditching-your-land-line-while-keeping-your-number/10455
http://lifehacker.com/5794553/how-to-port-your-number-to-google-voice-without-paying-an-arm-and-a-leg

2. Setting up OBI110 with GV account as SP1.  This was relatively straightforward and no issues encountered.

3. Setting up E911 service. This was simple following the directions in various posts.  I went with Anveo for $0.80/month and set that up on SP2.  I DID call my local police dispatch center and told them I wanted to test my service. Called 911 five minutes later, got the exact same operator, and she confirmed my address and that 911 was working correctly.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2076.0

4. Getting Next Alarm to work with OBI110/GV.  This was a bit more difficult and after lots of experimentation I discovered the only thing required was to set DTMF to 'In line' for SP1.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2376.0
Any/all other combinations of settings did not let alarm dial out and/or caused alarm to crash or not release phone line.  I chased several 'red herrings' here with 'DTMF fixed duration', signal strength, noise, etc.  After many iterations, it all came down to 1 setting that made the alarm work or not work: 'in line' for DTMF.

5.  Getting Google Voice Mail (GVM) to work.  Unfortunately, setting SP1 DTMF to 'in line' to enable Next Alarm to work, made GVM unusable because GVM will not recognize touch tones using 'In line' DTMF.  Solution was found here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2376.0
I followed the directions exactly as described by "Ron R" (thanks Ron!) and cut and pasted 'digitmap' into OBI 110 control panel for SP2.  I then changed SP2 DTMF to 'in line' and changed SP1 DTMF back to 'Automatic'.  Now my alarm calls went through SP2 (which worked just fine) and GVM and all outgoing calls worked on SP1, including all DTMF tones. It was kind of cool to look in the OBI call log and see that the calls had been routed correctly.  The last issue I had was with Next Alarm.  When routing all 800 numbers through IdeaSIP, Next Alarm sent me notices that they did not recognize my 'new' home phone number (which was the IdeaSIP server number). That was easily solved by going to my Next Alarm account page and adding the new '800 gateway' number into my Next Alarm account, which was found in the e-mail from Next Alarm.  The Next Alarm page has an option to add a second number as a 'dedicated alarm line' while leaving your home phone number in as your primary voice line. This did the trick and the alarm was happy again.

6. Adding Caller ID. After step five I was pretty happy. I had everything set up and working, no nuisance warnings, and an $0.80/mo phone bill! However, after several spam calls and realization from my family members that names were no longer coming up for caller ID, I decided to follow the directions here:
http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/how-to-use-the-simon-telephonics-google-voice-gateway-with-an-obihai-device-to-provide-caller-id-name-on-incoming-google-voice-calls/
to get caller ID back.  Again, this process was straightforward and no issues occurred.

So, now I have an OBI110 set up with simon telephonics gateway to GV set up on SP1 (DTMF=auto) and Anveo set up on SP2. SP2 DTMF is set to 'in line', and includes a gateway server to ideaSIP to route all 800/877 numbers through, including my Next Alarm system. Next Alarm, Google Voice Mail, E911, and caller ID all work.  I hope this helps someone else get set up faster and easier.
Tom W

MurrayB

It sounds like you really made a major accomplishment.

I wonder if you have fully tested your Next Alarm setup with the central station. Have you triggered all sensors and the has the communication  maintained integrity? There have been communications issues with alarm systems when dropping the Telco line and replacing it with VOIP. Are you using an RJ-31X jack for your alarm system?

TomWa

I'm not really proud of my accomplishment--all the data is there on the web--but rather wanted to consolidate the steps/info to hopefully help someone else.
I did test my alarm after the transition both with various sensors and with scheduled 'arms' and 'disarms' and all appears to work well. Next Alarm displays all alarm activity on your account web page, so it is easy to see that any faults are reported correctly over the phone line (or VOIP).
My alarm is wired directly to my phone line 'downstream' of incoming hard line for POTS and an RJ11 jack for OBI and 'upstream' of all the phone jacks in the entire house. Its only been a few weeks, but I have had no issues with dropped comm/alarm system since the transition.
I've read a lot of concerns for having dedicated phone line, cell backup, or other 'more secure' monitoring of an alarm system. For my situation and personal level of 'risk management', I'm content to have my alarm report over VOIP.

MurrayB

You still pulled it all together and made it work. I am glad that you took the steps to check your alarm reporting. You should add an RJ-31x jack to isolate your phones and the alarm, otherwise an intruder taking a phone off hook will preclude the alarm system from dialing through the Obi. The purpose of the RJ-31X is to seize the line and hang up any phones off hook and dial the alarm.

Consider the phone port of the Obi as the PSTN or POTS or whatever you prefer.

Here is a link that might be helpful.

http://www.hometech.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=78

Good luck & continued success.

tillithz

Ok, I have tried the "In Bound" setting in ITSP A general, as well as in the OBiTalk Services, Both being set to "In Bound", ITSP A being set only, and still no reporting is getting through. Any other suggestions?

Also, it seems that the setting doesnt stick after about 5 minutes it switches back to auto. I have verified on two different machines, and in Google Chrome as well as Internet Explorer....

anyone have any suggestions? ty

TomWa

It sounds like your OBItalk portal is not communicating properly with your OBI device if the setting reverts back to 'Auto'. The way I understand the OBI talk portal is when you click 'submit', the settings you've selected are written to the memory of the device and stored in the device. When you open the portal, it simply reads whats in the obi memory and displays it for you to edit. The save/submit takes a few minutes and I've notice my phone line becomes 'not available' while the OBI is being updated.
I'd look for info on resetting your admin password or troubleshooting how to update your device.
Post back if you find a solution!

tillithz

Right on, let me confirm this...
I login to the device via its ip address in say Internet Explorer, then scroll down to Service Providers on the left, then to ITSP Profile A, then General. Uncheck the default check box next to DTMFMethod and click down arrow to set InBand?

The odd thing is I cant get the setting to stick now at all. Is there some other setting dependent on the DTMFMethod? maybe thats why its reverting back after I reboot? Maybe a firmware upgrade (to the current and latest version thats already on there) might fix this? ty for any help

QBZappy

tillithz,

By design (OBihai)

Managing Your OBi Device Configuration: OBiTALK or OBi Web Page but NOT Both
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=92.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tillithz

Right on, I "seem" to have changed it through the expert config instead. Will test and see if things have changed in the reporting... ty

NickC

Thank you!

I'm fed up with the ABN adapters from Next Alarm.  I've gone through several as they constantly appear to work for days then stop working (no dial tone) then magically work again.

I also have an Obi202 and changing DTMFMethod to InBand seems to work.

It does suck that the alarm now shares the same phone as the house but that's better than constantly waking up to "Communication Failure" on the alarm system.

I wish the alarm panel was just using an internet connection instead of phone.
obi202