News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Call Forward Doesn't Work

Started by dial.tone, July 13, 2012, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dial.tone

When I attempt to forward my Obi202/GV/SP1 desktop phone to my cell phone by dialing *72, all I get is a steady tone over the phone's speaker and I can't go any further in the forwarding process.  Shouldn't I get a voice prompt asking for the number I want to forward to?  Am I missing a step?

jimates

according to the admin guide, yes.

Call Forward ALL:  When you use Call Forward ALL, all calls are immediately forwarded to the number you indicate when you turn on the feature.  To enable Call Forward ALL, from a phone attached to the OBi, dial *72. You will be prompted to enter the number to which the calls will be forwarded. Dial the number plus the # key and a confirmation tone will be heard. To disable Call Forward ALL, dial *73.  A confirmation tone will be heard.

dial.tone

Quote from: jimates on July 13, 2012, 09:22:53 AM
according to the admin guide, yes.

Call Forward ALL:  When you use Call Forward ALL, all calls are immediately forwarded to the number you indicate when you turn on the feature.  To enable Call Forward ALL, from a phone attached to the OBi, dial *72. You will be prompted to enter the number to which the calls will be forwarded. Dial the number plus the # key and a confirmation tone will be heard. To disable Call Forward ALL, dial *73.  A confirmation tone will be heard.

That is exactly what I have been doing: I dial *72 from the phone attached to the Obi202, but all I get is a steady tone.  No prompts to allow me to forward to another number. 

dial.tone

Ok, it was with some trepidation that I ventured behind the "OBI Expert Configuration" curtain and peeked at the menu under "Voice Service" > SP1.  There I found a parameter under Calling Features named "CallForwardUnconditionalEnable" with an empty checkbox next to it.  My gut tells me to put a checkmark in that box, but there are two more checkboxes to the right of it that I don't understand.  Those checkboxes are under headings that say "Device Default" and "ObiTalk Settings."  "Device Default" is unchecked; "ObiTalk Settings" is checked.  I read somewhere in my searches for a solution that I must make sure both "Device Default" and "ObiTalk Settings" boxes are unchecked in order to check the first box to the right of "CallForwardUnconditionalEnable," but I also seem to remember reading somewhere that enabling call forwarding (the same as checking the box) is supposed to be what happens when I dial *72.  So, before I risk doing irreparable harm, I thought I'd ask the experts.  Anybody know if the box next to "CallForwardUnconditionalEnable" should be checked or should I leave it alone?  Any advice or cautions are welcome!

jimates

Yes, checking the box is the same as dialing *72. The box below it is where you would enter the number to be forwarded to.
Theoretically, once you enter the info from the phone port, it would be visible from the Expert Configuration.

You do have to uncheck the 2 boxes on the right and then you can change the setting. You can play around in there all you want and the changes will not be made until you choose "submit".

The reason I said you would need to delete the item from your Obitalk account is:
resetting the device will remove the configuration from the device, but if any of the configuration still resides in the portal, it will just put it back on the device once the portal communicates with it.

You could access the device directly and temporarily turn of auto provisioning so the portal will not make any changes. Then manually make the changes to the "CallForwardUnconditionalEnable", reboot, then remove the changes. At that point check to see if forwarding is still occuring. Theoretically, again, there should be no way the device should forward without the CallForwardUnconditionalEnable checked and a number entered to forward to.

dial.tone

I went to OBI Expert Configuration>Voice Service>SP1 and checked the box next to CallForwardUnconditionalEnable.  I still only get a steady tome when I try to forward by dialing *72.  No voice prompts asking for the number I want to forward to.  Even tried rebooting the device by unplugging the power cord for half a minute and plugging it back in.

QBZappy

dial.tone,

Quote from: dial.tone on July 14, 2012, 04:30:40 AM
I went to OBI Expert Configuration>Voice Service>SP1 and checked the box next to CallForwardUnconditionalEnable.  I still only get a steady tome when I try to forward by dialing *72.  No voice prompts asking for the number I want to forward to.  Even tried rebooting the device by unplugging the power cord for half a minute and plugging it back in.

I just tried it myself. I did hear the tone (No voice prompt), then typed in the telephone number+# I wanted to call forward to. You should then hear 3 short beeps confirming that the number was accepted. To test, look in the OBi unit or Expert in the CallForwardUnconditionalNumber=SP1(5145551212) section. You should see the number you just typed in show up in one of the boxes.

My problem now is when I press *73  Disable Call Forward All I get "there is no call route to complete your call" meassage from the OBiMAN recording.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dial.tone

Quote from: QBZappy on July 14, 2012, 08:13:19 AM
dial.tone,

I just tried it myself. I did hear the tone (No voice prompt), then typed in the telephone number+# I wanted to call forward to. You should then hear 3 short beeps confirming that the number was accepted. To test, look in the OBi unit or Expert in the CallForwardUnconditionalNumber=SP1(5145551212) section. You should see the number you just typed in show up in one of the boxes.

My problem now is when I press *73  Disable Call Forward All I get "there is no call route to complete your call" meassage from the OBiMAN recording.

Whew, that was a close call: I read your first paragraph and started to grab for the phone, anxious to try it; then my eyes scanned down to your second paragraph and I stopped midair!  I sure don't want to get my phone stuck in forwarded mode and not be able to unforward it.  Did you get yours unstuck yet?

QBZappy

Yes, I had to go into the unit itself and put a check mark back in the OBi default.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on July 14, 2012, 08:13:19 AM
dial.tone,

Quote from: dial.tone on July 14, 2012, 04:30:40 AM
I went to OBI Expert Configuration>Voice Service>SP1 and checked the box next to CallForwardUnconditionalEnable.  I still only get a steady tome when I try to forward by dialing *72.  No voice prompts asking for the number I want to forward to.  Even tried rebooting the device by unplugging the power cord for half a minute and plugging it back in.

Odd, worked fine on my Obi202. What firmware is everyone using?

dial.tone

Quote from: Ostracus on July 14, 2012, 12:47:28 PM

How can I tell what firmware I'm using?

QBZappy

I realize the thread says OBi202, however at home I only have access to the OBi100 to try the *72 & *73 on the phone.

dial.tone

I didn't find specs on firmware, but I found this:
Hardware Version 1.3
Software Version 3.0.0 (Build: 3184M)

QBZappy

dial.tone,

Don't be afraid about pressing *72. Even if *73 doesn't undo it, you can always correct it from the OBiTALK portal/web unit.

dial.tone

Quote from: QBZappy on July 14, 2012, 02:40:56 PM
dial.tone,

Don't be afraid about pressing *72. Even if *73 doen't undo it, you can always correct it from the OBiTALK portal/web unit.

Thanks, QBZappy.  I'm not afraid, but I don't want to be reckless, either.  Plus, I'd like it to work the way it is supposed to.  I've only had the unit a couple of days, and so far I am very impresed with it.  If it works for everybody else and not for me, I have to figure it must be something I'm not doing right.  I'm just trying to wring it out.  I'd sure like to hear if other 202-users have the same problem and how they fixed it.

Ostracus

Quote from: dial.tone on July 14, 2012, 01:41:42 PM

I didn't find specs on firmware, but I found this:
Hardware Version 1.3
Software Version 3.0.0 (Build: 3184M)

Software version is what you're looking for and it's the latest. Also QBZappy, my Obi110 responded the same way as my Obi202.

QBZappy

Hi,

I just tried the *72, *73 business again. I swear I didn't change anything in the way I did it before. It works.

*72->long dial tone->type telephone number+#->3 shorts confirmation beeps.
Look here in the OBi you will see:

Voice Services
   SP1 Service
CallForwardUnconditionalEnable    = Check mark      
CallForwardUnconditionalNumber     = SP1(5145551212)

*73->dial tone (No confirmation beeps like before)
Look here in the OBi you will see:

Voice Services
   SP1 Service
CallForwardUnconditionalEnable    = No Check mark      
CallForwardUnconditionalNumber     = SP1(5145551212)

pc44

So... someone shot the OBiMan in the newer firmwares?  I, too, get only a steady tone after entering the star code.  So I guess the OBiMan has left us. :'(

But... at least it still works, as verified by QBZappy. :)

dial.tone

Quote from: pc44 on July 14, 2012, 08:18:27 PM
So... someone shot the OBiMan in the newer firmwares?  I, too, get only a steady tone after entering the star code.  So I guess the OBiMan has left us. :'(

But... at least it still works, as verified by QBZappy. :)

If you were able to Unforward by dialing *73, then I agree: voice prompts would be nice, but at least it still works.  However, if you have to go into "OBI Expert Configuration" to Unforward, it's still broke!

QBZappy

*72+*73 is seems to be working as it is supposed to.