News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dedicated Google Voice account still required?

Started by Doug239, August 18, 2012, 06:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug239

When I first got my ObiHai 110, all the documentation out there said that you needed to create a separate Google Voice account that would be dedicated to the Obi, and could not use your primary Google account, as being logged in to GChat would somehow mess up/confuse the ObiHai. So I did that, and everything has been working well.

But I'm curious... is this still the case? If I wanted to, could I switch back to my primary Google account and use it with the Obi without any problems?

(I know I should probably not fix what isn't broken, but it is a little annoying having a totally separate Google account just for the Obi, since I sometimes forget to update the contacts list and so forth...)

QBZappy

Doug239,

The main reasons to have a separate accts was
1) not to share your Google credentials with Obihai
2) not to have the the same acct logged in the computer and the OBi unit at the same time. In the past some people were seeing issues if the same acct was registered more than once at the same time. It is one of those situations where YMMV.

Having said that, it is easy enough to configure the OBi with any other account. If you change accounts people will need to call you at a different GV number, since each acct carries a unique tel number.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.