News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New user questions on setting up Obi202 via ObiTalk

Started by CoalMinerRetired, July 15, 2012, 08:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoalMinerRetired

Help out a complete new user!  I'm new to Obi and new to VoIP.

What is the advantage of using the ObiTalk portal to configure one or two google voice phone numbers on a new Obi202?  I'm asking because I'm more hesitant (let's make that unwilling at the moment) to give up my google voice password 'into the cloud'.

I've read the instructions and tutorials on this website, they have been mostly helpful, and I've read through the documentation for the Obi202 (the Device Admin guide is a bit deep, but I have figured out different ring patterns). And I've also read what I can find from searching otherwise (the Michigan Telephone Blog is very nice, I wouldn't have taken the jump into this had I not read several independent reviews like that).

More background: I'm also asking because, the "Google Voiceâ„¢ Configuration Wizard" (link off this page http://obihai.com/wizards.html) did not work for me. That was frustrating. 

What did work was manual setup instructions form a blog (here, see step 7.b: http://voxilla.com/2011/01/24/how-to-use-google-voice-and-obi-for-all-your-calls-free/), which was surprisingly easy, only five or six fields to set. 

So, given that I read the cited points for using the ObiTalk setup, but have not used it, am I missing anything?  Let's move from that general question to some very specific questions: does the Obi Talk Portal somehow configure message waiting lights or stutter dial tones on my analog phone when setting up a GV line? I didn't see this in any of the screen images in the tutorials (is this an option that is not shown in the tutorial images)? Does it allow you to easily setup a different ring pattern when you direct two different GV numbers to one phone line?

Any insights or comments appreciated.

jimates

The only thing the portal gives you is remote access. You can also have remote access without the portal if you port forward.

If you set up 2 GV numbers on SP1 and SP2, the portal will automatically assign a different ring pattern for the second one.

by checking the boxes during provider setup, you will get stutter dialtone and MW indicator. From the device itself those options are found under the Physical Interfaces -> Phone port -> Calling Features