News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi302

Started by jjtricket, July 18, 2012, 08:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjtricket

Can anyone offer a simple summary of the difference between Obi202 and the Obi302?

pc44

Hi jjtricket,

Nothing definitive here... but here is a link with more info:
OBi302 Detailed Technical Specifications

So far, I am unable to find any references to Google or Google Voice in that document.  It seems very similar to the 202... so your question is a good one. :)

I'll wait to hear from the other forum giants on this one,
pc44

pc44

Well, it's looking like Obihai may have dropped Google Voice support.  Either that, or they have decided to no longer advertise Google Voice support.  A quick comparison of the data sheets seems to show that marketing difference:

OBi202 VoIP Telephone Adapter with 2-Phone Ports, Router & USB
With Support for SIP, Google Voice™, OBiTALK VoIP Services

versus

OBi302 VoIP Telephone Adapter with 2-Phone Ports, Router & USB
With Support for SIP, OBiTALK VoIP Services and T.38 Fax over IP

Hmmmm, :)
pc44

QBZappy

No one sent me a Memo on this. :o  When did the OBi302 come out?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Well I found a press release talking about it. Looks like this model is intended for Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs). It is unlikely that they would want their customers to have GV on their box.

Obihai Announces New OBi302 VoIP Device, Service Provider Customers, and Innovations in Cloud-Based Management, Provisioning, Customization
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obihai-announces-obi302-voip-device-070200602.html

It looks like Sherman has been keeping himself busy these last few weeks/months.  :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jjtricket

Its funny, I originally noticed a Obi302 on ebay and thought it might be a mistake. However, after a Google search, looks like it was released in June.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=Obihai&_sop=10

How do these folks get more on ebay with shipping than Amazon?

BTW, good catch on the lack of Google Voice.

QBZappy

Although some people don't care for GV, I'll be very surprised to see Amazon selling the OBi302 to consumers. At least it would have to sell cheaper than the OBi202 since in comparison it is lacking in features. (crippled)

jjtricket

Excuse my newbie ignorance, but are you saying that if we are planning on using google voice the Obi302 will not work?

BTW, thank you to all the members that go out of your way to help others!

QBZappy

jjtricket,

If the specs for the OBi302 don't say it supports GV, we must conclude it is for a market where people will not be able/interested in GV. IOW if you are interested in GV the OBi302 is NOT for you.

GregoryZ

Quote from: QBZappy on July 18, 2012, 10:15:54 AM
Well I found a press release talking about it. Looks like this model is intended for Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs). It is unlikely that they would want their customers to have GV on their box.

Obihai Announces New OBi302 VoIP Device, Service Provider Customers, and Innovations in Cloud-Based Management, Provisioning, Customization
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obihai-announces-obi302-voip-device-070200602.html

The Second sentence of this artical starts out as "The SIP-only OBi302 ..."

But it also states that the device will have full use of the other OBI devices.  So, I'm sure that the "Big Guys" in this fourm will figure out how to patch it all together.  :)

I'm Shocked QBZappy,  that you didn't get the Memo on this.  You and a couple of others are the "Big Guys" I am talking about.  Us Regular Users need you guys to know what the heck is goin one!!   :D
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

jimates

Maybe the "cloud based management" is the reason we have been seeing things disappear. Surely there will only be one cloud for the voip providers, it just happens that we already use it, and they are tailoring it for those other than us.

jimates

I think they did fix the restore problem, they just aren't allowing us to use it now.

The Obihai OBiTALK ITSP portal is a specialized web-portal for service providers to remotely administer provision and manage their OBi devices. Via the OBiTALK ITSP portal, a service provider support team can securely access OBi100, OBi110, OBi202 and OBi302 devices individually or in groups to administer configuration profiles and perform updates to firmware. Service providers may also use the OBiTALK ITSP portal to help troubleshoot device-specific issues, tweak parameter settings and set-up loop-back calls or perform other quality and reliability tests -- all without requiring the subscriber's assistance or intervention

Surely they aren't going to configure every device by entering it manually. They will use a "restore/configuration" feature to configure using a backup file.

"Obihai is focused on the success of our service provider customers,"
I recall saying in another thread that Obihai was leaving us behind for the providers.

These are listed for the 302

Remote Provisioning - XML via TFTP or HTTP, TR069 / TR104
Secure Remote Provisioning - SSL via HTTPS , Encrypted XML via HTTP or TFTP – Dedicated User Name & Password
Primary SIP Service Set-Up Wizard - Dedicated Device Web Page for Quick ITSP Account Set-Up
System Settings Back-Up / Restore - Save & Restore Configuration via XML file to / from a Local Folder
Configurable Contact List (Inbound Call Routing)

QBZappy

jimates,

For a long time it has been possible to do self-Remote Provisioning just like the a voip service providers or the OBiTALK portal with some effort. It has been discussed here and elsewhere. I have seen it. It would be by far the best tool to use for configuring multiple units. However most people only have one unit, or very few units to manage. For the effort and skills required it is easier for most people to just use the Backup and Restore method. I have not bothered to learn, but it would certainly be an interesting "How to" article if it ever came out by someone who has set up the OBi to self provision via your private TFTP or HTTP server. BTW TFTP is very easy to setup.