October 01, 2014, 07:21:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Lite Forced Update to V.5 [SOLVED]  (Read 86145 times)
GregoryZ

Yes, I look just like my picture! :)

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:37 pm »

SteelReign,

THANK YOU!  

I've not made the changes yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm sure it is going to work.

It is good to see that Jimates, and QBZappy are in on this too.  I've relied on them a lot.

Any way... SteelReign, I made a post on Counterpaths' Forum, (my link from post dated July 20th) hoping that the other users there will see it and bring them here.

Again, Thanks in advance.  I will post my results as soon as I get this implimented.

Best Regards,
GregoryZ

UPDATE: 

Ok, I had to un-install X-Lite, and of course I did a Registry Clean.

SOLVED!! 

Thanks again SteelReign!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:00:48 pm by GregoryZ » Logged

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
jimates
OBi110 Beta Testers

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:10 am »

make yours look identical to this one

# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#   127.0.0.1       localhost
#   ::1                localhost
   127.0.0.1       activate.adobe.com
   127.0.0.1       upgrades.counterpath.com
   127.0.0.1       advertising.counterpath.com
Thank you so much. Works fine now.
GregoryZ

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:36 am »

I just checked on Counterpaths' forum.

They deleted my post that I made last night, that gave folks there a link to this thread.   Huh
In fact, they deleted TWO posts I made.  One was from a week ago.  Both had shown a link to this thread.

I guess they just don't want folks to know how to by-pass their method of forcing everyone to use V.5.

I'm just greatfull that StealReign found this thread, and helped all of us.  Cool

GregoryZ
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:24:22 am by GregoryZ » Logged

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
QBZappy
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 10:10:54 am »

GregoryZ,

You could start a new thread "Counterpath is deleting unwanted topics". I have first hand experience that it might make it interesting. Grin

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street.
JohnBowler

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 11:57:58 am »

Blink fixed my problems; I changed my computer (from a Sony VGC-LT18E to an HP Omni-27) but that did not really help with the XLite-5 audio problems; the buzzing was gone but audio quality was still awful compared to XLite-4, so I abandoned XLite-4 and changed to Blink.  That seemed to fix quite a lot of the audio problems though it is still lower quality than I get through my Plantronics headset.

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>
SteelReign

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:19 pm »

I just checked on Counterpaths' forum.

They deleted my post that I made last night, that gave folks there a link to this thread.   Huh
In fact, they deleted TWO posts I made.  One was from a week ago.  Both had shown a link to this thread.

I guess they just don't want folks to know how to by-pass their method of forcing everyone to use V.5.

I'm just greatfull that StealReign found this thread, and helped all of us.  Cool

GregoryZ

GregoryZ
     I posted it one the CounterPath forum 4 times and each time is was deleted within a day and finally they banned my account. Not once ever giving me a reason why. Then i searched the web and found this forum as Google's top hit for people having this problem and i posted it here. Figured maybe could get some mileage out of it since it's not a CounterPath forum.

But I am glad that this has helped many of you. I understand how frustrating it can be when a company starts out with a great product and then screws everything up by putting profit in front of customer satisfaction.

...and just for the record. I don't even have one of these obi devices.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:53:09 am by SteelReign » Logged

...and when I leave, come together like butt cheeks.
pc44

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:52 pm »

You could start a new thread "Counterpath is deleting unwanted topics". I have first hand experience that it might make it interesting. Grin

In grade school, I think QBZappy was always the troublemaker... the instigator... the child that teachers had to keep an eye on. Tongue

What!? Shocked  But you must get "one of these obi devices" ... someday. Wink

But more seriously, thank you SteelReign for your contribution here.

SteelReign

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 05:30:28 pm »

What!? Shocked  But you must get "one of these obi devices" ... someday. Wink

But more seriously, thank you SteelReign for your contribution here.

Nah I have my own asterisk server and whats funny is that I have it running the same forum software as this one ( but mine looks better. err  err ehem)

Awe Counter Path Banned me from their forum...sad face
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:43:39 pm by SteelReign » Logged

GregoryZ

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 10:18:43 pm »

GregoryZ,

Smiley  I know you do.  Grin

Believe me, I thought about it.  It's just not worth it in this case.  I'm taking the Free Product and getting my Money's Worth.  Smiley  

Edit:  AND ..... I agree with PC44.  You're an Instigator!  My Kind'a Folk!!!   Grin 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:27:27 pm by GregoryZ » Logged

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
GregoryZ

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »

But I am glad that this has helped many of you. I understand how frustrating it can be when a company starts out with a great product and then screws everything up by putting profit in front of customer satisfaction.

I'm glad you took the time to help us all.  Isn't that what these Forums are all about.  Good Folks helping others.  And there is a LOT of that here.  Again, THANKS!!

Now...... You have got to get yourself an OBi!!   Smiley  You'll find all the support you need right here!  

Nah I have my own asterisk server and whats funny is that I have it running the same forum software as this one ( but mine looks better. err  err ehem)

Post us a link.  We'll all come say Hello!
-GregoryZ
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:35:16 pm by GregoryZ » Logged

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
alemoon

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 01:12:50 am »

Hi all, after the fix of SteelReign, this morning I got the popup window:  Your copy of X-Lite 4 has expired. X-Lite 4 will now close. Just like the version of X-lite Beta. The only solotion I found is put my calendar by 17 July 2010 so the program will launch, then, fix the calendar once the program has launched. But it's annoying doing this everytime. If you use runasdate when receiving a call it will show the date of your settings. I was wondering if there's any other address to put into the hosts file to disable the popup window and shutting down the program. It seems counterpath is doing everything to avoid people using the software. I think I'll switch to express talk, which I used for many years before changing to x-lite. SteelReign, if you find some tips it would be appreciated.

thanks
SteelReign

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 10:33:57 am »

I just got back to work and saw that.

At least the one good thing is that I made them work extra to re-patch this. Now they have added and are pushing their ads from counterpath.s3.amazonaws.com/images/SP-com-ada-xlite-ver4-02.gif  and counterpath.s3.amazonaws.com/images/SP-com-ada-xlite-ver5-03.gif.

Also using xlitesecure.couterpath.com
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:12:04 pm by SteelReign » Logged

SteelReign

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:43 am »

Ok the easy part is done. Ads are gone again.

Add:

127.0.0.1     counterpath.s3.amazonaws.com/images/SP-com-ad-xlite-ver4-02.gif
127.0.0.1     https://counterpath.s3.amazonaws.com/images/SP-com-ad-xlite-ver4-02.gif

They are feeding both secure and un-secure versions, so yes you need to block both.

Now going to look for expiration code.

Grin Grin Grin

GregoryZ

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »

Thanks for the Update SteelReign!!

I'm just wondering how it is that you're able to figure this stuff out.  But, I'm sure that is a whole different Fourm.  I'd like to learn it though.

THANKS AGAIN!!

-G

EDIT:  I just added the two additional lines.  I made the mistake of re-booting.  Now I'm getting the dang Expired Msg. 

Hope you can find the code for it SteelReign! 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:11:11 pm by GregoryZ » Logged

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
SteelReign

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 08:59:32 am »

So I found a work around that seems to work pretty well. I chose this option because I am really busy at work right now and don't have the time to find the code being executed to expire the software.

Anyway, download Time Stopper 3.5 from me here

I have stripped out the file and all the garbage to remove all third party apps it tries to install.

- Just launch the program browse to C:\Program Files\CounterPath\X-Lite 4\X-Lite4.exe.
- Choose the new date: 7/1/2012
- Enter a name for create desktop icon: X-Lite4 (This will add a shortcut to your desktop so you don't have to do this again. Just double-click on the icon you just made and the application will automatically launch with the adjusted date.)

**Edit: Be sure to save the file to your computer and make sure it's somewhere you want to keep it as the shortcut links to this file.

Hope this helps everyone. If you have any questions about this, just let me know.

Steel
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:43:07 pm by SteelReign » Logged

GregoryZ

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26:00 am »

It works!!

Thanks so much for all your Hard Work, Steel!!

-G

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
SteelReign

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »

No problem buddy.

I do it because I am not a fan of people screwing over other for personal gain. If we spent more energy trying to think of ways yo help one another instead of how to screw over one another, this world would be a much better place.

GregoryZ

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 04:35:19 pm »

Amen!!

I agree 110% on that. 

And I Thank God, for Good People like You, and Others, here on this forum, who continue to give so much of their time to complete strangers.  It all makes this world a better place. (IE: QBZappy, aka "The Zapster", PC44, and the Long Lost RonR.  Just to name a few.)

I don't want to get all mushy, but sometimes just saying "Thanks!", dosen't do it.   Wink   

I will say this; CounterPath has "Given" this program to us for "Free".  That was very Nice of them.  They didn't have to do it, but they did.  But it's not Nice that now, they are asking for it back, so to speak.  I was raised that if you Give something to someone, you don't take it from them later.

-G 

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200
alemoon

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:53 am »

Hi all,
the only problem with these kind of softwares is that if you want to keep a track of your missed calls you can't 'cause it registers the date and hour of your settings, in this case 7 jan 2012, 23.00 h.
Still waiting for a final solution. thanks

southerndude

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 01:35:23 pm »

Hi all,
the only problem with these kind of softwares is that if you want to keep a track of your missed calls you can't 'cause it registers the date and hour of your settings, in this case 7 jan 2012, 23.00 h.
Still waiting for a final solution. thanks

Hi there.

This is kinda long shot, could not suit to everyone and may be a bit tricky for some of you, but there it is:

1.  At an appropriate place/folder/dir create a batch file. XL-4BYPS.BAT, for example.
2. Put these lines in it
Code:
@echo off
set todayis=%date%
date=01-01-2011
start C:\"Program Files (x86)"\"CounterPath\X-Lite 4"\X-Lite4
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1 > nul
date=%todayis%
3. Run it as Administrator (Windows Vista, 7 etc...).
4. Optionally you could create a shortcut and edit its proprieties for Run as Administrator and place the shortcut on your desktop or Start Menu.

When used, this will: change your system date, call X-Lite4, wait some seconds (for all X-Lite start tasks) and re-correct the date. X-Lite only check for expiration date once for launch.

Be aware that this is my solution at a Win7 64 PC.
Check if the X-Lite exe path match your system.
If you need more time for X-Lite to start, just increase the number "30" at the ping line.

Take care.

--
PS: Like SteelReing I don't have this OBi thing myself... just register here pretty much for the same reasons.

Edit: grammar (non-native english speaker)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:46:56 pm by southerndude » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: