What would be a typical usage scenario for a Voice Gateway?

(1/10) > >>

MichiganTelephone:
Repeat of a question I asked in a discussion on the Feature Requests, moved here at the suggestion of plugger2:

What I'd like to know, if anyone has the time and patience to explain it, is what might be a typical usage scenario for a Voice Gateway as it currently exists in the OBi devices — just something to help me understand why you might want to use one.

If this is something that's only useful if you are running OBiAPP then for the moment it probably wouldn't be useful to me personally, but I'd still like to be able to keep up with these discussions and understand all the capabilities of these devices.

murzik:
This is very easy. For example, I have 1 SP for incoming through voice mail. SP2 GV for outgoing US and Canada. Than I have few Betamax accounts for different international destinations, outgoing only.
The reason to have few Betamax accounts is because each Betamax company has different rates to different countries.
Because I will never receive any calls through Betamax, I can setup each Betamax account as voice gateway.
Then I will create a rule, if destination for example Russia use VG1(Betamax1), if Germany Vg2 (betamax2), etc. Also I can use voice gateway to call Inum providers or Voxalot  for peering with other sip networks.
Also with gateway you can call another sip device directly.

MichiganTelephone:
murzik, thank you for the explanation.  I think it's finally beginning to make sense now!  :)

wintek:
Here is a scenario which I use:

I have an account with Voip.ms where I have three DIDs. One is my home number for family & friends; one is my wife’s pseudo business. She’s a home health nurse, and one I use for business.  Voip.ms allows you to create sub-accounts with their own long on credentials and also allow you to set the outgoing Caller-ID on each account.  When we call family and friends our home CID is presented. When my wife calls her patients from our home phone the call goes out her CID.  This is important because when patients get her number they call her for every little thing.  So instead of they getting our home number (which they have in the past) they get her CID which can be presented with a distinctive ring and /or redirected to voice mail giving instructions to call the home office or 911 if emergency.  Similar situation on mine.  So being able to select the outgoing gateway allows us to use the home phone for business, but not having to react to incoming business calls.

On Voip.ms sub-accounts you can also track calls & expenses of which we write-0ff every year on our income taxes.

obi-support2:
Murzik pointed out the main usage of gateways.

I found it easier to explain in terms of AA. Suppose you would like to call a number of different OBi units (owned by yourself or your friends in other locations) in order to call further to take advantage of their SP/LINE trunks. Normally you let your OBi be a member of their circle-of-trust, ring-up their AA, then dial the target number, etc. This should be well understood by now. We refer to this way as 2-stage dialing.

With the gateway concept, we eliminate the AA step so that you can dial the target number directly. We refer to this way as 1-stage or direct dialing. The other OBi units whose SP/LINE trunks that you are allowed to use this way is called a gateway, and their OBi numbers are called access numbers. You can configure up to 8 Gateways in your own OBi, and refer to them as VG1, VG2, ..., VG8. Then by properly designing your digit map or ** code, you can select a gateway to make your call based on the number you dialed, and will not need to go through their AA first.

When you use AA, the AA may be set up to prompt you for a PIN for authentication. For a gateway, however, entering a PIN is not possible. A userid/password can be set up on each gateway OBi to serve the same purpose. You must then configure the same user/password on your own OBi's gateway configuration (AuthUserID and AuthPassword parameters for VG1 - VG8). Then the authentication can be automatically performed by the OBi's on your behalf.

On the gateway OBi side (the other OBi that offers you the service), it must have the InboundcCallRoute under OBiTALK service configured to allow incoming 1-stage call and which local trunk to use for those calls. For example, suppose you already have a circle-of-trust with 2 users, say 200111222 and 200333444, your current OBiTALK Service InboundCallRoute would be: {(200111222|200333444):aa}.
To accept 1-stage inbound calls, you can augment this to:
{(200111222|200333444):aa},{(200111222|200333444)>(Msp1):sp1}
This tells the OBi if someone makes a normal OBiTALK call (by dialing the 9-digit OBi number), ring the AA.
But if some makes a 1-stage call by dialing a number that matches (Msp1), bridge the call by dialing that number on SP1.

There are more information on this topic in the OBi AdminGuide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page