News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Another noob with questions

Started by wvoc, July 24, 2012, 04:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvoc

So I got an Obitalk 110 and I love the system. I have set it up with Googlevoice and its working well. GV is setup on **1 while the landline is primary. I have it setup in the Philippines on DSL. I have some new user questions, so please bear with me if this is old hat?

1) The DSL service is 5mbps, but the lousy ISP does these micro disconnects where the service dies for a few minutes then comes back. Every time this happens my Obitalk goes offline, of course, but it never comes back online. I have to power cycle it (unplug and plug it back in) to get it to work again.

Every day I wake up to an inbox with voicemail emails from Google because the mico disconnect happened and Obi never came back online. I have employees who answer the phone so I am not missing the calls because I am asleep :). Also this happens during the day, I see voicemail emails when I am sitting near the Obi and the phone never rang. When I dial **9222222222 I get the "not available" error till I power cycle it. Is there anyway to make it be more aggressive to look for net connection after it goes down? Or is there something else wrong?

2) Is there anyway to change **1 code to, say *1 or something?

3) How do I use GV to make a non US call? What I mean is, I know I need to add money (already done) but how do you dial the country code? Is there, and if so what is, the equivalent to "00" (the prefix on the landline here) or "+" on a mobile phone?

4) Is there a quick reference list of * codes the Obi is preconfigured with somewhere? Found it.

5) Is there now a way to check GV voice mails from the Obi (I read that it wasn't supported but that was an older thread?)

6) Lastly, besides GV what other services work well with Obi that would be recommended for the 2nd line? Is skype an option at all?

Thanks for bearing with me!

pc44

Hi wvoc,

I may not be able to answer all of your questions, but let's try for a few. :)

1)  Someone else on the forum will have a better response for you on this one.  In the meantime, try inputting manual DNS entries for the OBi.  Assuming you have your OBi set for a local Static IP, entering the DNS servers into the OBi may help.  You could use Google's Public DNS addresses of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

2)  I believe single * codes are designed to be reserved for the Star Codes feature of the OBi's, but perhaps someone else can comment on this.

3)  For dialing international numbers via GV, have you tried the following?  "For international calls, enter 011, the country code, and the number (or "1 and the country code," depending on where you're calling). For example: 011442012345612345 or 12464260200."  from GV Support... basically, 00 + Country Code + Number.

5)  To check your GV voicemail from your OBi, simply dial your own GV number using your GV account on the OBi via the telephone attached to your OBi.

6)  I do not believe skype is an option, natively.  I have heard of a few skype to sip options.  You can read more about direct Skype SIP possibilities here and here.  Also, with Skype being purchased by Microsoft, I am not sure what MS has in store for Skype regarding SIP down the road.  Who knows.

Other 2nd line services that have been highly recommended on the forum here include Callcentric.com and Anveo.com.  See this thread also: Provider Recommendation.

pc44

wvoc

First of all, thank you so much for helping!

1) I will try to make the Obi static. Its set to DHCP right now, so that could definitely be an issue. I use local DNS (Windows SBS Essentials) with forwarders to OpenDNS.

3) Oh, so the dialing rule for that is a function of GV , not Obi. So I would dial **1-011-country code-city code-number, thanks!

5) Worked a treat! Awesome, thanks!

6) That looks interesting but more than I wish to pay. I will try some of the other providers, thanks again!