News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How can I get GV's voicemail to pickup instead of callcentric ?

Started by DB-ObiUser, July 25, 2012, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DB-ObiUser

I have Google Voice set up as SP1 and CallCentric set up as SP2 on my Obi100 via the ObiTalk web portal.  I have routing setup so that the Incoming call route from SP2 rings google voice on sp1.
I have done this by setting x_InboundCallRoute to {sp1(1mynumber)}.
This seems to work fine, but after 60 seconds callcentrics VM picks up. Is there anyway to force google voicemail to pickup instead ?

DB-ObiUser

Quote from: DB-ObiUser on July 25, 2012, 04:57:59 PM
I have routing setup so that the Incoming call route from SP2 rings google voice on sp1.

Actually this is not setup correctly either.

Basically all I want to do is route callcentric (On SP2) to Google Voice (on SP1) and have googles VM pickup on a no answer. Read every forum post I could find on the subject and been through the manual online.

I've been at this for hours. Thinking about scraping the whole obi thing and going with nettalk Duo just for ease of use.
So far it's been a bust. Cool device, but anything beyond basic config has been a giant time sucker.

pc44

Hi DB-ObiUser,

Why don't you just disable Callcentric's voicemail completely?  Would that solve your situation?

"Voicemail is free and can be added or removed at any time you wish." from callcentric.com

If that doesn't work, you can supposedly modify the time before voicemail pickup on CC as well.

pc44

DB-ObiUser

Quote from: DB-ObiUser on July 25, 2012, 04:57:59 PM
I have Google Voice set up as SP1 and CallCentric set up as SP2 on my Obi100 via the ObiTalk web portal.  I have routing setup so that the Incoming call route from SP2 rings google voice on sp1.
This seems to work fine, but after 60 seconds callcentrics VM picks up. Is there anyway to force google voicemail to pickup instead ?

I can  give that a try. But I think my route may be the issue.

It looks like when the call comes in to my call centric DID #, on sp2
the InboundCallRoute is sending it to sp1(Google Voice) and
GV is sending it back to my 1777xxxxxxx number as an outbound call
and that is why callcentric's VM is picking up.
I can see the outbound call in the GV call history (on the GV site).

Thanks for the reply

DB-ObiUser

Apparently it was not call centric voicemail picking up. It is an automated message stating the caller is unavailable at this time.

Also if I forward to the GV # right from callcentric it works fine, but I get charged a per minute fee.
That is what I'm trying to workaround and avoid if this is possible.

pc44

DB-ObiUser,

To summarize, is this what you are trying to accomplish:

Incoming call to CC --> Forwards to OBi device --> OBi forwards call to your GV number --> GV forwards call back to your OBi --> If call goes unanswered, then GV voicemail takes the call.

It sounds kinda roundabout to me if this is what you are trying to do.  I guess an easier approach would be to have people call your GV number to start with, but perhaps this will not meet your needs.

Is this correct?
pc44

DB-ObiUser

Quote from: pc44 on July 26, 2012, 12:42:53 PM

To summarize, is this what you are trying to accomplish:

Incoming call to CC --> Forwards to OBi device --> OBi forwards call to your GV number --> GV forwards call back to your OBi --> If call goes unanswered, then GV voicemail takes the call.

Close but this is what I am going for...
Incoming call to CC --> Forwards to OBi device --> OBi forwards call to your GV number --> If call goes unanswered, then GV voicemail takes the call.

If this works I will port my current vonage # to CC as I can't port it to GV (I can't use the port to to t-mobile or other carrier option... GV still won't take it).

pc44

DB-ObiUser,

Ahhh... (lightbulb moment) :)  I see what you mean.

I wish we could determine who the "an automated message stating the caller is unavailable at this time" is... does it sound like the OBi Man?  Does it sound like the Google Voice Lady?  Or, is there any chance it is one of the other forwarding phones you have setup in GV... like a cell phone provider?

That may help clue us in to what's going on.

Just another thought,
pc44

DB-ObiUser

The automated message is from CC.

I just need to route the incoming line from CC to the obi... That seems to work that is setup on SP2.
It rings, it is ringing. I think my problem is routing it to GV. That seems to be where I'm failing.

I have the Pay per Call (receive calls) option in callcentric... every time I test it I get billed .015 cents.
My hope is that when it hits the obi it could be routed to GV and I would be charged 0.00 cents.
I don't even know if that's possible.

If not I'm just going to suck it up and change the home phone #.

jimates

The Obi is going to answer the call and bridge it to GV. If the Obi answers the call you are going to get charged from CC, correct.

Normally every call coming into your google voice number will go to the GV voice mail after 25 seconds. Do calls direct to your google voice number go to VM after 25 seconds?

DB-ObiUser

Quote from: jimates on July 26, 2012, 03:23:20 PM
The Obi is going to answer the call and bridge it to GV. If the Obi answers the call you are going to get charged from CC, correct.
Yes, but that may not be a deal breaker.... Call volume may be low enough that it is not an issue.
As long as the charge is only for the 1 minute it takes to bridge the call and not per minute for the full length of a given call.

Quote from: jimates on July 26, 2012, 03:23:20 PM
Normally every call coming into your google voice number will go to the GV voice mail after 25 seconds. Do calls direct to your google voice number go to VM after 25 seconds?
Yes, that is correct.

From your post, it sounds like my approach or understanding of how this will work was wrong.
I was thinking the Obi would just be able to move the call from sp2 to sp1...
It's probably not quite that simple huh ?

So, how would I have the Obi answer and bridge the call ?

jimates

Sorry for the delay, I had to go tot work.

If someone calls your CC number, the call will be active until terminated by the caller or receiver. So the call will likely be billed the whole time, even just for leaving voicemail.

The Obi receives the call, places a new call, then bridges the two. So there is actually two active sessions every time a call is forwarded, one in and one out.

DB-ObiUser

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

It is really not worth that cost just to keep a #.

I wish there was some way to just port the vonage # and do nothing but forward it for free or at a very low one time cost.

Aside from that the Obi with GV, works good enough to justify dumping vonage.

Thanks Again.

db

Stewart

Instead of Callcentric, you could probably port your Vonage number to Anveo.  Their Personal Unlimited DIDs are only $2/mo.

However, note that (as with your present setup), you can't use SP1 to forward to your own GV number, because when you call with GV to your own number it assumes that you want to check your VM.  You could use SP2, but then Anveo would charge you for the outbound leg ($0.01/min.; 30-second billing).

One free path would be to call from SP1 to a second GV account, set up to go immediately to voicemail.  Unfortunately, you would then have a second box to check (though if you listen to all your messages via email, that may not be a problem).  Another option is forwarding on no-answer from Callcentric to a free VoxOx iNum that forwards to your GV account, though for some complex reasons you probably can't get the original caller's ID on the GV message.

DB-ObiUser

In looking at Anveo... I think I may go that route instead of callcentric.
It looks like and can port my # free (if I pay for the first year up front).
It also looks like they will forward it free.
All I really want to do is forward that # to google voice.
Should I do this through Anveo or on the Obi100 ?
Outgoing will always be through GV except for E911.