News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VERY SIMPLE REQUIREMENTS - CAN AN OBI PRODUCT DO THIS LOT?

Started by siranthony, July 26, 2012, 01:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siranthony

Hello, i am new to this whole voip/sip/telephony world so please bear with me!

Simple requirement in order of importance... i cannot figure out if this is achievable or not?

1. Using my wife's google voice and my Google voice numbers can we receive/make 2 separate calls on an OBI device?  (I am thinking ... yes?)
2. can we record ALL CALLS (incoming and outgoing) without a beep or a message? 
3. can we reuse our existing analogue cordless telephone and old-school analogue phone? (i.e. 2 x POTS phones)

4. Or should I be looking to build an Asterisk PBX instead on an ASUS router? (for arguments-sake)

Item#2 above is critical!

thanks.

QBZappy

Quote from: siranthony on July 26, 2012, 01:32:37 PM
1. Using my wife's google voice and my Google voice numbers can we receive/make 2 separate calls on an OBI device?  (I am thinking ... yes?)

Yes, With OBi202 you can connect 2 phones. If you need the OBi110 to connect a fax machine or POTS line, you can also use cell phones as virtual extensions transparent to the caller. Calls can be forked to other end points (Cells/GTALK clients/OBiAPP/Skype)

2. can we record ALL CALLS (incoming and outgoing) without a beep or a message? 

Yes. I'm not sure if more than one call can be recorded at the same time, I've never tried.

3. can we reuse our existing analogue cordless telephone and old-school analogue phone? (i.e. 2 x POTS phones)

Yes

4. Or should I be looking to build an Asterisk PBX instead on an ASUS router? (for arguments-sake)

Not if your needs are basic. A proper IVR is not possible, there are other features like Callback, Recordable Voice prompts, etc... which is perhaps enough.

If you can work around the OBi limitations you can be creative and set up interesting call strategies. Have a look at this one, it might inspire you.

Re: 99 Virtual extensions available via the OBi (possible since v 1.30)
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1734.msg11140#msg11140

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

siranthony

THANKS FOR SUCH QUICK AND DEDAILED INFO!!! 

The IVR info was very interesting (Re: 99 Virtual extensions available via the OBi (possible since v 1.30) http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1734.msg11140#msg11140)

OK... so ... back to call recording.  Is this out-of-the-box (or a 3rd party app) with an OBi device ....and if so, how does it work?  Does it record the wavs or whatever to my PC?  (I don't mind if it does!)

thanks for your help

QBZappy

siranthony,

Quote from: siranthony on July 26, 2012, 07:26:26 PM
back to call recording.  Is this out-of-the-box (or a 3rd party app) with an OBi device ....and if so, how does it work?  Does it record the wavs or whatever to my PC?  (I don't mind if it does!)

It records directly into the OBi using the phone or a file is uploaded, no computer required. For further instructions you need to dig up some old threads on the subject. It has been documented.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.