News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Error 500 when placing a call

Started by yehuda, July 30, 2012, 04:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yehuda

Hi guys,

I am a happy Obi110 owner and I need help setting up a local provider here in Israel.

I can receive calls, but when I try to place a call I hear "the number you dialed was rejected by the service provider. Reason is 500."

How would I go about troubleshooting this?

If it helps, I can confirm that outbound calls work through a Windows softphone (Blink). No special configuration needed there.

pc44

Hi yehuda,

After searching the forum, it appears that Error 500 is an "Internal Server Error."  Take a look at this thread.  I realize that your softphone works properly, but you may need to contact your VoIP provider to troubleshoot this.

If you would like to provide your current configuration settings here, perhaps someone in the forum could review them. Contacting your provider may be quicker.  It's up to you.

pc44 :)

yehuda

Hi pc44,

Thank you for the kind reply. My provider does not support BYOD so I am pretty much on my own here. I understand that of all possible errors I landed on a particularly ambiguous one, which is not unlike the infamous HTTP 500 error. Could be anything really. I'm not getting my hopes up, but still willing to experiment a little.

I tested the Obi with two other providers: Localphone and Sipme (an Israeli provider). With Sipme I could dial numbers in local format, so I assume that the issue is not caused by the default Digitmaps, even though I have yet to localize them.

Suppose I wanted to delve deeper into the logs, is there a debug console I could look at? I didn't see one in the web interface. I understand Wireshark might also come in handy. I have basic experience with it but am not sure how to set it up to listen on Obi<->server communication.

pc44

Quote from: yehuda on July 30, 2012, 08:45:23 AMSuppose I wanted to delve deeper into the logs, is there a debug console I could look at?

I'd highly recommend setting up a syslog for debugging purposes, as the OBI's do support syslog.  From there, we -may- learn more about the error occurring.  Does this error occur only when using 7-digit dialing, or does it occur all the time for you?  Also, is the Obi registering successfully (if required) with your VoIP provider?

Just some thoughts,
pc44

QBZappy

yehuda,

You need to read this:

http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html
How to do I set-up and collect a syslog from an OBi device?
Download OBihai Syslog Server (DOS)
http://www.obihai.com/docs/syslogd.zip

Configure the OBi to output here:
System Management->Server Enabled

(pc44 where did you take your speed typing course?  :D)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

yehuda

Thanks for the tips. I've set up syslog and will look at the logs.

@pc44

The Obi registers successfully (status says Registered) and inbound calls work. The error occurs with 10 and 9 digit numbers (this is the local format) and with special short format numbers like 166.

Ostracus

Call history may have some clues as well.

QBZappy

Quote from: yehuda on July 30, 2012, 11:33:48 AM
The error occurs with 10 and 9 digit numbers (this is the local format) and with special short format numbers like 166.

Sounds like your digimap needs to allow those digits.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

yehuda

I checked the logs. The outbound sequence on the softphones (Blink, Linphone) goes like this:

--> Invite
    <-- Trying
    <--- Unauthorized
    --> Invite (w/ auth header)
    <-- Trying
    <-- Ringing (or Session Progress)

Sometimes I see duplicate packets, not sure why, maybe because of the UDP protocol.

The problem with the Obi setup is that for some reason the last response is different. I always get this:

<-- SIP/2.0 500 Server internal error (TM)

Now, I have no idea why this happens. I tweaked the Obi settings to make the Invite requests more similar to the softphone requests. I disabled some codecs, unchecked public IP lookup etc., always with the same result. I can confirm however that Obi passes the phone number correctly to the server.

What do you guys make of this?

Quote from: QBZappy on July 30, 2012, 12:49:39 PMSounds like your digimap needs to allow those digits.

I changed it to match 10 digit (mobile) numbers for now.