News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

30 Minutes Call Limit?

Started by pleomorph, August 01, 2012, 07:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pleomorph

I apologize if this has been asked before; I performed a search but couldn't find anything similar.

I'm new to the Obi100 device and have it configured with my Google Voice account.  I used it for an outgoing conference call today and was disconnected after exactly 30 minutes.  I thought the 30 minutes was an odd cutoff point.  Are Google Voice calls limited to 30 minutes, or was this just a random occurrence?  Is there anything I can check as to the reason for the disconnect?  The sound quality was great up to the point of the disconnect.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

jimates

I once experienced a conference call disconnect at exactly one hour. I thought it was a google voice thing. But recently there has been no cutoff for longer calls.

pleomorph

Thanks for the response, jimates.  I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a regular thing before I relied to heavily on the Obi for work.

Phillip

I was recently on a long call (about 2 hrs) when I got a cut off. In this incident, I was logged into my Google voice account and my Gmail account at the time. I looked and saw a notice that simply said the call was too long. So for sure, Google is enforcing some type of limits. I forgot to check my call history so I can't give you the exact limit. That's all I got.
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch

carl

I never experienced a call disconnect on longer calls with GV, however I never called for more than 90 minutes and some people reported disconnect after 2 hours.

giqcass

For those that used more complicated Google Voice setups in order to provide incoming CNAM make sure the company you routed the call through doesn't have a time limit.  I was looking through my Callcentric account and a I found out they do have a time limit although it seems to be adjustable.  Many people here use them to get incoming caller ID and they may get cut off on long incoming calls.  I have been on some very long calls with Google voice and I have not reached a "call time limit".  I'm sure Callcentric isn't the only provider with these limits.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

I can say I have placed calls of at least 90 minutes in duration with the quick review I did of my call log today.

I did some more looking and I have a few fairly recent calls over 90 minutes in length.
I have a lot of calls over 30 minutes.

Some people claim to have made call as long as 3 hours.

Phillip

Boy, if this isn't a telling detail, I don't know what is. I was brainstorming with a business associate and the line went dead. Did a little checking and found that it was at exactly (drum roll please) 3 hrs. This was a Google voice account. This account is NOT routed through my OBi or any other site, so I can state with confidence that Google has a three hour limit. How? I went back and checked my GV history. It happened twice before. Ouch.  ;D
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch

themessiah

God help having to talk or be on hold for 3 hours but great to know !!!

Quote from: Phillip on February 07, 2013, 08:25:48 PM
Boy, if this isn't a telling detail, I don't know what is. I was brainstorming with a business associate and the line went dead. Did a little checking and found that it was at exactly (drum roll please) 3 hrs. This was a Google voice account. This account is NOT routed through my OBi or any other site, so I can state with confidence that Google has a three hour limit. How? I went back and checked my GV history. It happened twice before. Ouch.  ;D

giqcass

I have never used Google Voice for three hours.  In fact I don't think I've ever been on the phone that long, for one call, ever.  When I posted "Some people claim to have made call as long as 3 hours"  I was actually referencing people that claimed to have been cut off at 3 hours exactly.  That certainly supports what you have seen.  I would like to think that is a reasonable limitation for the average user.