News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller Id comes up on Phone but not Dish Network receiver

Started by dwestall, August 01, 2012, 09:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwestall

I have the OBi100 (1.3.0, Build: 2711) setup with GV as my primary provider and Callcentric as a secondary provider to handle outgoing 911 calls. I have a standard phone and my Dish Network receiver connected to the Obi so I can get Caller Id on my TV. The setup works good, and I can see the incoming caller number, but I don't see the caller name which I understand is a limitation of GV.

I recently modified my setup according to the instructions here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0 in hopes that I could get CNAM working.

So, I now have GV forwarding calls to my Callcentric number and now incoming calls include caller id name AND number, but only on the phone. I get nothing on the TV/Dish Network receiver.

Any idea what could be the problem? I searched the internet and wasn't able to find any solutions. I verified the setup on the Dish receiver is correct. Caller Id name and number worked on the receiver when I had a POTS line, and the caller Id (number only) works on the receiver if I route calls directly from GV. Seems to be something specific to Callcentric and the Dish receiver, but I don't know if it's just a hardware limitation or if maybe there is some settings in the Obi that can be adjusted. One other thing I noticed when I switched to Callcentric for my incoming calls, the phone ring sounds different. Other then that, everything else seems to works.

Thanks,
dw

QBZappy

dwestall,

How is the phone and Dish Network connected to the OBi? Are you using a splitter?

If you connect Dish Network directly to the OBi, what is the result (with no phone or splitter involved)?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dwestall

I have the Obi connected to my house wiring and both the phone and Dish receiver are connected to different house jacks. I moved the Obi into my living room and connected it directly to the Dish receiver, but it still doesn't work...no caller id.

Thanks for your help.
dw

QBZappy

dwestall,

It looks like your Dish receiver doesn't like the way the OBi passes the CID. As a work around, if you really want to see if you can get CID on the receiver, I would buy a cheap CID box from Radio Shack and let it pass the CID to the Dish receiver. Some models have jacks for line and a phone port.

Perhaps there is a firmware upgrade for that Dish receiver which could be applied as well.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dwestall

I was finally able to get this to work. It turns out it was the ring pattern on the Obi that was causing the problem with my Dish receiver. I noticed the ring sounded different when incoming calls routed through Callcentric so I changed the RingPattern on Profile B (Callcentric) to match what I had on Profile A (Google). Everything works great now, caller id name and number come through on both the phone and the Dish receiver.

Thanks,
dw