News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Make this default setting: OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex

Started by QBZappy, August 01, 2012, 07:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Not making this default seems to cause more problems than anything else. We have seen so many cases where this change has fixed network related and call quality issues (static). By now a pattern has emerged and could be easily addressed.

Switching your OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jjtricket

Yes, please do and thanks for the tip!

N7AS

QBZappy,

Is there any way to check if the device is set for 100mbps or 10mbps? I set my Obi110 and OBi100 to 100mbps I think. Don't remember which one or both. If I issue this command again, I don't want it to go back to the lower setting.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Ostracus

Well two things. One I believe Obihai sells globally so their decision has to be looked at in that context. Two a lot of the newer equipment doesn't seem to have issues dealing with negotiations. Although one really can't tell without some research, which is which it's going to be..

jimates

I used 3 Obi110's for 18 months at my house and currently have them in use at my relatives houses for 2 months. I have been using my Obi202 for several months. I have never changed the default setting for the port and have never had any problems. Total of 3 different networks, 4 different routers and 4 different cable modems.

QBZappy

N7AS,

How to verify the current setting of the OBi's ethernet ports 10 or 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0

At this point the OBiMAN will read back the current value:
0= 10 mb/s
1= 100 mb/s
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Interesting reading on this topic:

Reference Guides to Half-Duplex Ethernet
http://www.ethermanage.com/ethernet/quickref.html

The Quick Reference Guides to Half-Duplex Ethernet describe the configuration guidelines for the original, and now obsolete, half-duplex Ethernet system that was in wide use until the full-duplex Ethernet standard was developed in the late 1990s.

The Quick Reference Guides to Half-Duplex Ethernet contain the official half-duplex mode configuration rules for 10 and 100 Mbps Ethernet systems based on repeater hubs. Half-duplex Ethernet is another name for the original Ethernet mode of operation which uses the CSMA/CD media access protocol. Multiple segments of half-duplex Ethernet cables are linked together with repeater hubs, which serve to maintain the half-duplex signaling and timing specifications.

Also included in these Quick Reference Guides to Half-Duplex Ethernet are the configuration rules for combining segments of half-duplex Ethernet with repeater hubs. This makes it possible to verify the configuration of any half-duplex mode Ethernet system, to make sure that it meets the official timing guidelines and that it will operate correctly.

Full-duplex Ethernet is based on switching hubs and does not use the half-duplex coliision detection system. Therefore, full-duplex Ethernet links do not depend on the maintenance of round trip signal timing and other guidelines described in these Quick Reference configuration guides. Modern Ethernet systems are based on full-duplex Ethernet segments linked together with Ethernet switches, also known as switching hubs/

To repeat, the half-duplex Ethernet system described in these Quick Reference Guides is obsolete. These Quick Reference Guides to Half-Duplex Ethernet are maintained here for historical reference only.

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on August 03, 2012, 09:40:13 AM
Interesting reading on this topic:

To repeat, the half-duplex Ethernet system described in these Quick Reference Guides is obsolete. These Quick Reference Guides to Half-Duplex Ethernet are maintained here for historical reference only.

OK, and how does that change the world at large? Heck I'm still using a print server that has a BNC connector on it.

bsdaiwa

Is there a way to set this in the OBI Expert Configuration? I looked under network but there were no settings for Ethernet ports.

Ostracus

Quote from: bsdaiwa on August 05, 2012, 05:31:06 PM
Is there a way to set this in the OBI Expert Configuration? I looked under network but there were no settings for Ethernet ports.

No, you have to do it through a connected phone.

JohnBowler

Quote from: QBZappy on August 01, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
Not making this default seems to cause more problems than anything else.

This doesn't apply to the OBi202, at least not the 'lan' port.  I have option 27 set to 0 and the LAN port is connected to my switch at 100Mbs full duplex.

(I am running the new version 3375 of the software, the one with the bluetooth support, but I'm pretty sure it was 100Mbps on version 3184 as well.)

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>

bathynomus

Switching your OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

Confirm settings:
QuoteHow to verify the current setting of the OBi's ethernet ports 10 or 100 mb/s full duplex:
1. Dial *** 0

At this point the OBiMAN will read back the current value:
0= 10 mb/s
1= 100 mb/s

My folks own the Obi202 and I think this may have fixed their problem as well. Perhaps this should be a sticky topic on the forum.