News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 Full House Setup

Started by bennettaj, August 10, 2012, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennettaj

I hope I have understood how this works correctly but:

I have the OBi110 functioning just fine. I can call out and receive calls with my Google Voice account.  Now that I like that part, I would like all my phones in my house to use this box so I can get rid of my phone bill.  Is this possible? 

I connected the Line cord to the wall and then we disconnected the line from the phone company from the outside of the house.  When we pick up the other phones though, we are not getting a dial-tone. 

There is no light on the Line on the device so I thought maybe I didn't set something else up I was supposed to. 

Help?

hwittenb

If you have the phone company disconnected then you attach the phone port on the OBi110 to house wiring to ring the other phones in the house or to get a dial tone on the other phones. 

The OBi has a specification of 5 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) which means that the OBi has enough power to ring several phones.  Each phone will have a REN number you add the various phone REN numbers and it should be less than 5.

bennettaj

Thanks, I just need to get a splitter I guess so I can hook my office phone to the same jack that the OBi is now hooked to?  I don't have any more wall jacks closeby.

MurrayB

That will work fine if you plug a splitter into the wall jack and connect your Obi phone port to one jack on the splitter and your phone into the other! Good luck!

bennettaj

Got the splitter today and we're up and running!  Thanks for the help! Can't wait to cancel the home phone on Monday!

MurrayB

CoalMinerRetired

For reference, similar question asked and answered here, http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3671. Only difference, but a very big difference between home owners and condo/apartment dwellers, is I did not have access to the so called POTS NID junction box due to the building being a multi-unit structure.