News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 202 3.0.0 (Build: 3375) New features

Started by QBZappy, August 14, 2012, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the latest firmware on the OBi 202 3.0.0 (Build: 3375) has some features no one has talked about.

This looks interesting. Looks like another way to white list an incoming caller. Of course no details on how it works.
Voice Services->OBiTALK Service Settings: Inbound Direct Dialing Authentication

System Status->OBiPLUS Service Status
Unless I missed it before, it is the first time I see some sign that this new service is about to roll out. Seems it will only be offered on the OBi202. Considering one of the features of this service is having the ability to register up to 4 sip accts I suppose it makes sense that the OBi202 was selected with this in mind.

It looks like old habits are hard to break. Details on enhancements and fixes on firmware updates are superficial or completely non existent. Even more frustrating is that they seem to have some interesting new features which don't even come to the light of day. If the tech people are fast and furious in the development of their wares, the marketing boys should try to keep up with the pace of development, and cry off the roof tops about the new and improved firmwares and how it can be used. The last time they did a really good job at explaining a new feature was when the recordable IVR was introduced.

They have not given us a change log on anything since OBi 202-3.0.0 (Build: 3180M).

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Some settings only look like they apply if you're subscribed to ObiPLUS.

X_Proxy looks interesting.

QBZappy

Quote from: Ostracus on August 15, 2012, 12:08:37 AM

Ostracus ,
X_Proxy   
X_ProxyClientConfig

I understand this to reproduce the OBiAPP binding feature on the OBiTALK portal. You know, the setting where we must select which OBi to force the OBiAPP to connect through. As the only OBi client (softphone?) that we can use, is in combination with the OBiAPP. I suppose another OBi unit can be used as a client as well. It is not clear how this feature works. If this is as I am describing, it might now possible to bind an OBiAPP or another OBi unit to a far away OBi directly on the local unit. I suspect that these are some of the features necessitated by the new OBiPLUS service.

I've noticed that some features which are not well documented usually can be used creatively to achieve results locally without using the portal tools. I am thinking specifically "the single stage dialing" strategy developed by RonR. It is counter intuitive to think that if the OBi has the ability to achieve advanced configuration schemes it is not mentioned by Obihai. I'm sure that if someone understood all the features of the OBi, both the apparent and the not so apparent ones, it could fill up a book. That gives me an idea.

(Leafing through my contact list: Now where did I put Ron's phone number)  :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

It might, but I wonder if one has to have ObiPLUS in order to unlock particular features?

NonTech

This OBiTalk forum is weird. I can see a lot of postings but there's no "post" button to start a new topic.

About the firmware, I clicked on the symbol in my dashboard account and it only redirected me to a different page. There is no auto update. I'm not downloading the update in my computer because I don't want an update in my computer that doesn't go into my OBi100.

I thought the firmware will auto update to my OBi100 since I signed up for a dashboard account. If it's not now, it should!

Since I don't know how to post on this forum, I just post my question about my malfunction OBi100 here.
My OBi100 was set up and in use for more than a week, then something happened. Don't know what, all the devices are plugged into a power surge protector, but my internet was down and OBi is blinking (searching for DHCP IP address?) I get "no service available" message, no in/out calls, **9222222222 test failed. Can't even dial out! Anyone got an idea why and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Apologize for posting through...thanks.

ggramont

NONTECH

Try to disconnect your Obi and your router. Restart your router, wait 5 mn then start your Obi. You may have an IP conflict. If this does not work delete your obi from your dashboard and reinstall.

jimates

Quote from: NonTech on August 20, 2012, 02:25:40 PM
This OBiTalk forum is weird. I can see a lot of postings but there's no "post" button to start a new topic.

About the firmware, I clicked on the symbol in my dashboard account and it only redirected me to a different page. There is no auto update. I'm not downloading the update in my computer because I don't want an update in my computer that doesn't go into my OBi100.

I thought the firmware will auto update to my OBi100 since I signed up for a dashboard account. If it's not now, it should!

Since I don't know how to post on this forum, I just post my question about my malfunction OBi100 here.
My OBi100 was set up and in use for more than a week, then something happened. Don't know what, all the devices are plugged into a power surge protector, but my internet was down and OBi is blinking (searching for DHCP IP address?) I get "no service available" message, no in/out calls, **9222222222 test failed. Can't even dial out! Anyone got an idea why and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Apologize for posting through...thanks.
From your dashboard go into the Expert Configuration -> System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method = Periodically

Inside any subforum on this forum, to the far right is a tab marked "New Topic". Select that to post a new topic.

pc44

I just performed the ***6 update and received firmware 3.0.0 (Build: 3397).  Here's hoping for an eventual update to the OBi Firmware Notification Thread... that always helps me out. :)

pc44

jimates

I also checked for an update for the 202, 2 days ago. Got 3.0.0 (Build: 3397)

There was also an update for the 110. 1.3.0 (Build: 2719)

Emagin

Quote from: jimates on August 20, 2012, 09:33:34 PM
From your dashboard go into the Expert Configuration -> System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method = Periodically

I tried this and now have a red exclamation mark next the "Periodically"
Do I need a Firmware URL ? That is currently blank
---
Obi-202

jimates

the exclamation mark means you are controlling the setting, not Obitalk and not the default setting.

Emagin

Do I need a Firmware URL to get the updates or will it do that on its own?
Currently shows:
HardwareVersion   1.2      
SoftwareVersion   3.0.0 (Build: 3397)
---
Obi-202

QBZappy

Emagin,

Pressing ***6 on the phone port can update if there a new firmware.

Emagin

Quote from: QBZappy on August 30, 2012, 03:54:14 PM
Pressing ***6 on the phone port can update if there a new firmware.
Thanks, did that, says 'not available'
My question is really, will my device auto-update or not based on current settings.
I'm interested in automation more than very current version right now.
Thx
---
Obi-202

QBZappy

Emagin,
Quote from: Emagin on August 30, 2012, 03:56:36 PM
My question is really, will my device auto-update or not based on current settings.
I'm interested in automation more than very current version right now.

That's a loaded question. There is a setting that will block automatic firmware updates, until the point where Obihai decides that they will  impose a firmware upgrade for you for whatever reason that they decide. Apparently when you clicked on accept when signing up, the Terms of Service (TOS) apparently mentions that they reserve the right to upgrade the firmware on your unit despite how you have it configured.

They do allow you to opt out of the OBiTALK service altogether. You would loose some of the abilities that the unit offers. Read up on it if you need more info.

This setting will give you the impression that you are blocking firmware upgrades:
System Management
    Network Settings
    Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update = Disabled

JoeSchmoe007

Quote from: QBZappy on August 30, 2012, 05:46:29 PM
They do allow you to opt out of the OBiTALK service altogether. You would loose some of the abilities that the unit offers. Read up on it if you need more info.

Can you elaborate what abilities I lose of I opt out of OBiTALK? Or where can I read up on it?

QBZappy

JoeSchmoe007,

Without the OBiTALK service the ATA would behave like any other ATA on the market. If you don't care about these features then there is no harm in turning it off as all the configurations can be accomplished directly on the unit in any case.

I'm certain that I missed some, these are some of the features that I can think of at this moment, that will be lost if you turn off the OBiTALK services:
1) OBiTALk portal configuration will not be possible. (Including all the wizards & SIP service provider setups).
2) OBi to OBi gateway use
3) OBiAPP will not work
4) Only way to really prevent automatic firmware updates
5) CID spoofing/forwarding from OBi to OBI/OBiAPP. They designed it in a way that only the OBiTALK service will forward the CID. This may IMO be the most useful feature of the OBiTALK service. There is no reason why they could not implement this feature on the other voice services as well. I believe that this gives them a user base dependent on the OBiTALK product if they want this feature.

Anyone else can add to the list.

QBZappy

Ostracus,

Quote from: Ostracus on August 15, 2012, 12:08:37 AM

Here is an example of X_Proxy in use:

Use Your OBi202 as a Google Voiceâ„¢ Gateway for a SIP IP Phone
http://blog.obihai.com/

Tell me folks, how many of you really knew that obihai had a separate blog?

Ostracus

I knew, but as you can see it normally is not exactly a fountain of information.

GregoryZ

I stumbled accross it the other day too.

Not sure how I found it though.

Yes, you would think that OBiHAi would have posted somthing about it, here in the forum for all of us to see, and to encourge us to share it with anyone who might be interested.

-G
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202