News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Did my Obi110 die?

Started by RSigl, August 15, 2012, 03:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSigl

I purchased a Obi110 not even a month ago. I hooked everything up and configured SP1 with Google voice and SP2 with VoIP.MS (for 911 service) without any problems. Everything worked fine and I was extremely happy. BTW, I am not using the line port on the Obi110 as it replaced my landline.

Today I suddenly stopped receiving a dial tone. All the lights on the unit looked normal as did the information when logged into ObiTalk. I tried doing a factory reset by depressing the reset button for at least 30 seconds, which successfully reset the unit, but that did not do anything for me. I deleted the configurations for SP1 and SP2 to see if that would help. When reconfiguring them I get "service not connected" and still no dial tone.

I tried factory resetting it a second time and then having only the power cord inserted and the telephone. Still no dial tone. I then inserted the network cable which gave me a green flashing light, but again no dial tone. All of the LEDs on the unit appear normal and it appears to bootup normally when watching them. I know it's not the phone as I've tried 2 different ones on the phone port.

At this point I'm convinced it must be the Obi itself. Does anyone have any other ideas? Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

RSigl

I was correct. My OBi110, for some reason, stopped working within a month. I ordered a OBi100 from Amazon two days ago as a replacement since I wasn't using the line port anyway and as soon as I plugged it in I had instant dialtone. Within 5 min. I had it configured with Google voice and voip.ms. Now everything works as it did before. I just hope this one lasts a lot longer.

dabluesguy

I have same problem with Obi100. It just stopped working in the middle of a call. I rebooted everything inc. modem, router, Obi, then it worked fine for about another half day and cut out in a call again. Everything was fine on home page. Said connected. After it went out the second time, I did a firmware update. From that point on it has not worked at all. I tried factory reset and now GV wont configure. I get green lights but no dial tone. Nothing. So I think unit is hosed. How did you get Amazon to replace? My unit is 3 months old, not sure about the warranty. I'd hate to half to buy another one since my whole reasoning for doing this was to save money. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

RSigl

When I went to Amazon I got the following,
QuoteReturn Window expired on August 20, 2012.

If you return this item, you will receive a partial refund according to our Returns Policy. Shipping fees will not be refunded, and you will need to pay for return shipping.
and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Sorry your having the same issues.

QBZappy

If you still get a green light it may not be dead.

Try the following before giving up:    
Re: Power light blinking, no IP
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3252.msg26406#msg26406
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dabluesguy

Thanks. Tried factory reset again, still no go. No dial tone, won't reconfigure SP1 for GV. Have 1 green light, middle one flickers every now and then. Don't know how it could just die all of a sudden. Was working great. Anyone know how long the warranty is? I purchased in May. If it's 90 days I guess I'm SOL. Not sure I want to purchase another. Could start getting expensive if they go out every so many months. I guess its back to Vonage.

jjtricket

Besides the factory reset try and use a different power supply, that was my problem!

dabluesguy

The power light is solid green. Not sure how that could be my problem. I contacted support and they had me put Obi in DMZ per this link http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html#ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

Done, power cycled all, still no go. Waiting to hear back from support as to what to try next.

dabluesguy

Update: After putting Obi in DMZ, support was able to determine remotely that unit was hosed. They are sending replacement. Excellent support team. Fast and effective!!