News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV and display number

Started by rothmaniac, August 15, 2012, 06:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rothmaniac

I have a pretty annoying scenario where I am forwarding a number (let's call it X) to a google voice number (let's call it y). What I would like to do is have the call display show the original number (X) and not the google voice number (Y).
I know I can't change that in Google Voice. Is there a way to do it within the Obitalk?

Stewart

Your post is somewhat ambiguous, so I'm not sure that I'm answering the right question.

If a call comes into the OBi (on landline, GV, SIP, or OBiTalk) and is forwarded to an external PSTN number via GV, then it's not possible to display the original caller's number to the forwardee; this is a restriction of GV.  You could forward via a different provider that permits "spoofing" the caller ID, though I'm not aware of any free ones.  Anveo will work as you desire; it costs $0.01/min. to US or $0.005/min. to most of Canada.  Simply set X_SpoofCallerID in the OBi and set Outbound CallerID to "CallerID from SIP Device" in Anveo.  There are lower cost options, but a more complex setup is required.

Alternatively, it may be possible to set up the provider handling the original call to do the forwarding, rather than using the OBi.  Such a setup will generally preserve the original caller ID, though it obviously depends on the provider whether the desired condition will be available, and what charge, if any, applies to the forwarding leg.

If you describe your application in more detail, there may be a better option.

rothmaniac

I have a number that is stored with Twilio, that I use for a small business. That number was configured to ring several cell phones, depending on who you were trying to reach. We have decided that we want to add a desk phone to the mix.
I use Google Voice with an Obitalk at home, and never had a problem with that set up. So, I would like to have the Twilio number ring a Google Voice number set up as a desk phone.
Ideally when we dial out from that desk phone, it would appear as coming from the business number and not the Google Voice number. Is that possible?
To summarize - Is it possible to change the number that shows up on someone's call display when I call them with a GV/Obitalk setup?

Stewart

There should be no problem having Twilio send calls to your GV number, which should ring the OBi-attached desk phone and show the original caller's number.

For outbound calls from the desk phone, it is not possible to send the call via GV and have it display the business number to the callee.  Such "spoofing" is blocked by GV and AFAIK there is no workaround.

However, you can set up the OBi so outbound calls use a different provider that does permit spoofing.  I believe that there are no free ones.  If your volume is modest, Anveo is easy to set up, has excellent quality, reliability and support, and costs $0.01/min. to US destinations.  For lower cost, look at Voxbeam or Alcazar Networks, but be aware that these are more difficult to set up, both contractually and technically.