News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

without phone 1 week, help.

Started by gloria, August 17, 2012, 08:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gloria

it said backing off.
do you think it is because I used a different phone than original setup?
he had the cable wire hooked to obi and then the 50 yr old wall phone worked with bad static.
I unhooked it and plugged in a wireless phone with answering machine directly into obi.

pc44

Okay, so it is backing off.  No, I do not believe this has anything to do with the telephone you have plugged into the OBi.  Backing off usually refers to the connection between your OBi and your VoIP Provider (in this case Google Voice).

After making sure you don't have the same Google Voice account setup on SP2, go to your SP1 settings and checking the username and password.  On some GV accounts, we are required to type in the full Google Email Address (whatever@gmail.com) into the username blank.  Then, re-type the current Google password.  Submit, reboot, and report back here regarding the backing off status.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword

pc44

gloria

Is there anyway to delete it all and start completely over, maybe with different e-mail. reset the obi..???

pc44

Yes:

System Management -> Device Update -> Reset Configuration -> Reset

gloria

how do I get to system management?

QBZappy

pc44,

Just an idea. Some of these procedures can be done using the phone. It might be simpler typing in the digits on the phone.

(Sorry for budding in. Carry on  :D)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

Okay, let's do it the easier way to which QBZappy was alluding.

Using the telephone connected to your OBi, press ***8 (three stars and then 8).

pc44

Quote from: QBZappy on August 18, 2012, 02:08:16 PM
pc44,

Just an idea. Some of these procedures can be done using the phone. It might be simpler typing in the digits on the phone.

(Sorry for budding in. Carry on  :D)

Thanks for "budding" in, buddy. :)

QBZappy

Once you do a factory reset, you will have to remember all the defaults are reset. Note specifically that the OBi unit is set to get its configuration directly from the portal, NOT from the unit web page.This might cause some confusion.

Gloria, I'm afraid that the $50 that you originally invested to configure the OBi is going to be wasted after the factory reboot. I have not suggested this publicly to anyone before on this forum, but since pc44 has graciously offered to help you, perhaps now that the configuration is being done via the OBiTALK portal, it would be easier if you would let pc44 configure it for you. If you agree to this you can send him a PM with the details that he will need to set it up for you. Do NOT use the forum to exchange those details.

After this works out for you, you will need to adopt pc44. (Don't tell him that I told you, but he once let on to me that he likes fruitcake  ;))

I hope this works out for you.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

gloria1

ok, next? you want info by message?
or tracfone?

pc44

As QBZappy said, I've also never done that before; however, if it would help you out, I'd be willing to give it a try.  It is risky, because you are placing a fair level of trust in a stranger you only know from a forum on the internet.  If you want to go that route, just send me a PM.  If you would rather not, it's more than understandable, and we can continue trying to troubleshoot the problem here in this forum.  :)

pc44

gloria1

what ever you want to try is ok by me.

pc44

Okay, after receiving your last PM, it seems as though you successfully reset the OBi via ***8 (thanks QBZ).  Now, you have a clean, blank slate to work with.

I would first press ***6 to make sure that you have the latest firmware, before proceeding.  So if possible, please pickup the telephone connected to the OBi and then press ***6 to make sure that there are no new updates available.

Then, attempt once again to set up GV on SP1 using the full Google Email Address for the username and your Google Password for the password.

pc44

gloria1

gloria1

pc44

Okay, well at least we are on SP1 now... so that's definitely progress.

Usually, the backing off issue has to do with an incorrect password or username, but since you have already double-checked this, we'll move on.

I think I mentioned pressing ***6 to make sure you are on the latest firmware.  Please let me know if you were able to update to the latest firmware.

The OBi FAQ recommends this as one possibility for the "Backing Off" message:
"You have not yet made a call with Gmail's Call Phone feature ..."  I would suggest logging into the Google Voice webpage and placing one test call from within that interface.

pc44

gloria1

I did the test call and it rang but I had no phone connected so I dont know.
also yes I did call for updates, none

I'm not sure about my emails, I think I used 2 somewheres.
exactly how and where do I check these again?
I get forum message to yahoo and messages from you on gmail!
must be my problem!

pc44

Thanks for the update.  Glad the firmware is up to date.  The test call may have helped as well.

Obihai also recommends the following: "Also, remember to check the Forwards to: Google Chat option in your Google Voice Settings Phones Tab."

When you log into your Google Voice account (https://www.google.com/voice), this is the username and password that we want to be using in the OBi.

pc44

gloria1

gloria1