News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cheapest e911 I've found

Started by Tazman, August 20, 2012, 08:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazman

Bulk911.com only charges $0.72 per telephone number.  And you only need to setup 1 number as long as the device uses the same google number every time you call 911.  It is easy to setup there 911 and they will send you detailed instruction for an obi if you ask.  Here is a quick setup guid minus all the hand holding that is in there instructions.

Register your google voice number on your first line (sp1) with the address your device is located on the Bulk911 site.

Enter OBI Expert and Click on "Phone" On the far left under "Physical Interfaces"

Uncheck "ObiTalk Settings" and "Device Default" for OutboundCallRoute and replace
the current entry with

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)
):pp},{(<#:>):li},{(<911:14242798234>):sp1},{(<922:14242798235>):sp1},
{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)
):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Submit then reboot your obi.

dial 922 to test that they are attaching the address you gave them for you google voice number.

*This string is setup to use line 1 for all 911 calls. To use line 2 change to sp2 after the 911 and 922 entries in the string above. The 922 entry is only for testing and can be removed after you have tested that they have the address info correct.

jimates

This is something I inquired about a while ago. Instead of having to configure a sip service on the device, it uses our caller id. This will allow those of us that don't have an empty slot for a sip service (we use both sp1 and sp2 for google voice numbers) to get 911 service.

My previous post about this type of 911 service
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3109.msg20868#msg20868

OK, some clarification on this service.

Do not go to bulk911.com and sign up. You need to sign up at http://www.gv911.com/

Designed for VoIP users who would need to be able to dial 911 and reach a live local Police / Fire Department dispatcher in case of an emergency.

We keep a simple website to underscore that simplicity is the goal in everything we do.

•US and Canadian addresses supported
•Compatibility:
◦OBI 100
◦OBI 110
◦OBI 202
•Adding a Telephone Number to the DB takes 2 simple steps:
◦Enter a number and address into a form
◦Address is validated, and entered into system
•Simple and upfront billing, with a rate of $12 per TN per year
•Moves/Adds/Changes are free
•Easy payments through PAYPAL with instant access and credit to your account
•No catch guaranteed

Billing:

We have a simple billing structure as explained below

•Your rate per Telephone Number added to the E911 DB is: $12.00 per year
•When a TN is added to the E911 DB, immediately $12.00 is deducted from your account, which covers the cost of service from the date of activation until 11:59PM of the same day of the next calendar year
•Next year, $12.00 is dedcuted from your account which will cover the cost of service for the entire calendar year
•In the event that there is not enough funds in your account to cover the cost of service for the year, service may be disrupted
•There is no refunds or pro-rating of fees
•There is no cost for editing an address in the E911 DB

Test Calls:

For testing your E911 number, we strongly recommend calling our E911 DB Verification service by calling 922 which will verify your Caller ID number and the adddress that would be used in case of a real emergency call

In the rare case that you wish to speak to a live emergency operator to verify the information that the operator receives, pleaes use the script below. Please note that some localities require you to schedule E911 test calls in advance and will charge penalties otherwise. You should check with your local authorities before placing any unscheduled E911 test calls. Do not call during the busy hour of lunch or between 4:00-6:00pm. Try to call during off hours such at 6:00am.

•Hello, this is a non-emergency call, I'm making a Voice-Over-IP test call. Do you have a moment to verify my emergency information or can we schedule a later time to do so?
•Did you receive ANI information? What number do you show? (confirm that this matches the caller-ID/DID number that you expected to send)
•Were you able to retrieve ALI information? Can you verify the address that is displayed? (confirm that this matches your intended emergency address)
•Do you show my Call Back Number? (confirm that this matches the caller-ID/DID number that you expected to send)
•Does the information on your display appear in the proper fields? (the operator should answer yes, which confirms that none of the information fields appeared ordered incorrectly, e.g. the street number in the city field)
•Thank you for your time, we may be placing a couple more test calls today...

Huib

Any reason why gv911 is preferred over bulk911? It's almost 33% more expensive, $12/y versus $8.64/y.

jimates

actually is is 39% more.

I sent an email to them asking about configuration of the Obi using the alternate number for 911 setup as described by Tazman. They said sign up at gv911 for that configuration.

bulk911 has a different setup. I do not know if it can be configured on the Obi without a sip provider.'

911 Instructions using bulk911:

Interconnection Guide:

•Add the IP address of your Softswitch or PBX to SIP Hosts under 911 Dashboard
•Send calls to 911@sip.bulk911.com
◦SRV record is present and recommended
◦E911 SIP Peers in case SRV is not supported:
■199.255.157.199
■108.166.172.199
■UDP Port: 5060
•To verify address as currently in 911 DB, call 922@sip.bulk911.com
•Any call from a number not added to E911 DB will be Rejected with SIP 503
•Ensure that the Caller ID is set to one of following formats:
◦10 Digits, ex: "3109060901"
◦11 Digits, ex: "13109060901"
◦E.164, ex: "+13109060901"
◦Caller ID in any other format will be rejected
•Please make sure that we have a valid Phone Number for the Administrator of your account in case we need to reach you regarding a 911 call
◦A manned Call Center or single point of contact number is required
•It is your responsibility to ensure that calls reach bulk911 in a proper format, and that numbers have been added to the 911 DB prior to an actual Emergency call
Billing:

We have a simple billing structure as explained below

•Your rate per Telephone Number added to the E911 DB is: $0.72
•When a TN is added to the E911 DB, immediately $0.72 is deducted from your account, which covers the cost of service from the date of activation until 11:59PM of the last day of the calendar month
•On the first day of the next month, $0.72 is dedcuted from your account which will cover the cost of service for the entire calendar month
•In the event that there is not enough funds in your account to cover the cost of service for the month, service may be disrupted
•There is no refunds or pro-rating of fees
•There is no cost for editing an address in the E911 DB
Softswitch Config:

Test Calls:

For testing your E911 number, we strongly recommend calling our E911 DB Verification service by calling 922@sip.bulk911.com which will verify your Caller ID number and the adddress that would be used in case of a real emergency call

In the rare case that you wish to speak to a live emergency operator to verify the information that the operator receives, pleaes use the script below. Please note that some localities require you to schedule E911 test calls in advance and will charge penalties otherwise. You should check with your local authorities before placing any unscheduled E911 test calls. Do not call during the busy hour of lunch or between 4:00-6:00pm. Try to call during off hours such at 6:00am.

•Hello, this is a non-emergency call, I'm making a Voice-Over-IP test call. Do you have a moment to verify my emergency information or can we schedule a later time to do so?
•Did you receive ANI information? What number do you show? (confirm that this matches the caller-ID/DID number that you expected to send)
•Were you able to retrieve ALI information? Can you verify the address that is displayed? (confirm that this matches your intended emergency address)
•Do you show my Call Back Number? (confirm that this matches the caller-ID/DID number that you expected to send)
•Does the information on your display appear in the proper fields? (the operator should answer yes, which confirms that none of the information fields appeared ordered incorrectly, e.g. the street number in the city field)
•Thank you for your time, we may be placing a couple more test calls today...

Huib

Ah, yes. Registering an IP address that is subject to change, especially on residential broadband, is not a safe way to go.

rsriram22

great way to get E911 *without* any dedicated SPx on the obi.. just wow..

on a different thread, i read that 911 can be mapped to the local non-emergency 10 digit number as well (if that 10 digit # goes to the same 911 dispatch).. that would make it $0 a year i guess ..  but is it really worth taking that risk is altogether a different thing..
have two 100s and one 110

jimates

This is E911. Calling an alternate number is like old 911, it may give them your caller id but nothing else.

jjtricket

Correct, but caller id and https://www.smart911.com/ might work, check to see if available in your area.   

rsriram22

i was under the same impression as well until i read jimates post that calling local 10 digit number just gives them the number and no smart911 info (smart911 is enabled/available for my town/zip code). may be i ll call them and ask.

jjtricket

Good idea to check locally.

rsriram22

another useful thread on how smart911 info is shared with PSAPs:

http://gcn.com/Articles/2012/06/11/Can-NextGen-911-catch-up-to-moibile-communications.aspx?Page=3

"..
When a 911 call reaches the PBX or other server handling calls for an answering point using Smart911, the originating number is passed over a serial port connection to the Smart911 server, which is connected to the answering point's local-area network. The server queries the Smart911 database, and if the phone number has a file associated with it the data is returned to the server. The server routes the information to the workstation responding to the call, where it is displayed in a computer window. Only 911 calls initiate the connection, and PSAPs cannot initiate queries of the database.
.."

rsriram22

quick note on caller id going to 911 dispatch: Both Anveo and Callcentric send a different (temporary) number to 911 when a call is made to 911. This temporary number is sent although you may have set your home phone # as callerid for all outgoing calls on their website(s). This could be true for other VOIP providers as well.

I have confirmed this with both of these providers by support tickets.

The downside to this is that if you have a smart911 profile, the info from that profile will NOT be displayed to the 911 dispatch since the 'temporary' number is what is sent to them and not your actual phone number..

lhm.

Smart911 profile info is provided to PSAP when using gv911.com. Tested successfully with 911 call center.

rsriram22

@lhm, do you have a 'static' ip configured per few earlier posts in this thread? otherwise, would dyndns work?

i guess i may need to switch to gv911 so that it supports smart911, but the static IP requirement is pushing me back a little..

thanks!

oecra

Quote from: jimates on September 21, 2012, 06:34:44 PM
This is E911. Calling an alternate number is like old 911, it may give them your caller id but nothing else.

jimates, I signed up for gv911, followed the instructions they provided, and paid via paypal.  I did not see an option to add my address on their website, just my phone number.  When I dial 922 it repeats my phone number and says it's not provisioned with e911 service.  Is there a step I'm missing somewhere?

lhm.

It is a little vague.  

Go to login > Edit 911 Setup> 911 Dashboard:Active TN List> UP Date> Add database info - Name, Address etc.

oecra

Quote from: lhm. on January 12, 2013, 07:02:58 AM
It is a little vague.  

Go to login > Edit 911 Setup> 911 Dashboard:Active TN List> UP Date> Add database info - Name, Address etc.

That worked, thank you so much!

oecra

After setting up gv911, I am no longer able to do 7 digit dialing for numbers in my area code. I get a google voice message saying the call requires a credit balance. But when I dial 1+area code and the number, the call goes through. Is this one of the cons of using gv911? Or is there a way to fix this?

lhm.

Not related.

A digit map or other config issue on the Obi.

oecra

Quote from: lhm. on January 13, 2013, 06:51:11 PM
Not related.

A digit map or other config issue on the Obi.

I changed the digit map to (<911:14242798234>S0|<922:14242798235>S0|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx| 011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.) per the instructions I received from gv911.