News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unexpected speed dial

Started by VANJ, August 28, 2012, 11:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VANJ

SP1 - Callcentric (for DID)
SP2 - Call With Us (set as primary line for dialing out)

SP1 digit map  - (*123|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

SP2 digit map - (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

PHONE port digimap (default) - ([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Outbound call route - {(911):sp1},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Speed Dial 1 is set to **1*123 to access Callcentric VM. This works by dialing 1#

Having said all that, my SP2 (Call With Us) offers a speed dial that I would like to use. It works by just dialing a number from 1-99.

But when I dial 1 (without the trailing #), instead of sending that through the primary line (SP2), it somehow calls the OBi's 1# speed dial.

So...how/what piece of magic is adding the trailing # that routes the call through the OBi speed dial instead of leaving it alone?

ianobi

No magic required!

If you dial one or two digits OBi will assume that it is a speed dial. The # simply tells the OBi that you have finished dialing and it will stop waiting for the next digit.

I have not seen this problem posted before. I guess to send x or xx to sp2 (even though it is your primary line) you have to dial **2x or **2xx and maybe add a # to send it out with no delay.

VANJ

Quote from: ianobi on August 28, 2012, 12:31:34 PM
If you dial one or two digits OBi will assume that it is a speed dial.

1. So this assumption is baked into the firmware? Nothing that can be changed using the various digit maps and routing options?
2. If so, is there a way to disable the speed dial feature entirely? The OBi is one of the most configurable devices I have seen but I couldn't see a way to do this. Is it possible?

Quotemaybe add a # to send it out with no delay

Same here, is this behaviour baked into the firmware or can it be changed to say use * as the no-delay key?

Wait a minute, when I dial just 2, it DOES send it to SP2 and my Call With Us speed dial kicks in! So when it sees 1 and the fact that there is a speed dial assigned to 1 makes it use that speed dial slot. Since no other speed dial slot on the OBi is used, I guess I can send those to SP2. But I am the curious sort and would like to know what/how to change this behaviour, hence my 2 questions above.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

QBZappy

VANJ,

Speed dial slot 1 is reserved for the OBiAPP. I don't think it can be changed. However xx can be configured to prepend <**2> automatically in the routing.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

That just goes to show - I should test things before posting  :-[

What I posted was correct, but only if that particular OBi speed dial slot is used. If the OBi speed dial slot is empty, then x or xx will be sent direct to your primary line via the xx. rule.

As you are using your primary line, there is no need to prepend **2.

I would suggest using the format xx# to dial your Call With Us speed dials. The single digit OBi speed dials can be useful for other set ups - single stage dialling etc.

Using # will send out the xx digits with no delay instead of waiting the 10 seconds caused by the xx. rule.

VANJ

Thanks. So this is what I understand

1. There is no way to disable the speed dial feature on the OBi entirely
2. There is no way to use a key other than # as the "end of input" key
3. I should add xx# to my digit map (wait, add this to SP1 or SP2 digit map?) to send it right away. Actually, isn't S0 in a digit map equivalent to the # key? If so, would xxS0 also do the same thing?

QuoteI would suggest using the format xx# to dial your Call With Us speed dials

But when I am dialing a regular US 10-digit number, wouldn't this map get in the way and try to send the first 2 digits right away as soon as the second digit is pressed?

jimates

any rule changes for this situation should be to the phone port digit map, not the individual trunk digit maps (unless you are prepending **x to the call).

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)........

changing the S9 in the digit map will shorten the delay. I am not sure if you need to change one or both.

But when I am dialing a regular US 10-digit number, wouldn't this map get in the way and try to send the first 2 digits right away as soon as the second digit is pressed?

yes. Originally the Obi would deliver anything 2 digits or more after 2 seconds. Speed dials did not require terminating with #. I brought up the possibility of inadvertently sending calls to speed dials with slow dialing. Now there is a a longer delay by default.

My concern was for people trying to dial 911, or older people just dialing slow. If you dial slowly you could get connected to someone you didn't intend to wake at 3 am. I myself often dial the first 3 numbers then have to pause and look at the last 4. Weak eye sight doesn't help.

I have an Obi202 with different digit maps but I did make the changes and it changes the delay.

ianobi

VANJ,

When I suggested xx# I was not suggesting putting that in a digit map. I was suggesting dialling two digits from the phone, then pressing the # key on the phone. This way the xx. rules picks up the two digits that you have dialled and sends them out on your primary line with no delay.

I really must use this English language with more precision  ;)