News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 100 - configured with Google Voice, but phone does not ring

Started by andy_777, August 30, 2012, 08:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy_777

Hi,

I purchased OBi 100 and have connected it to the internet and able to make calls using Google Voice.

I have the phone connected directly into the phone port of the OBi100.  I can make outgoing calls from the phone.
However the when I try making calls form a different phone and calling my Google Voice phone number it goes to a forward number, but does not ring the phone connected to the OBi100.  How can I make the phone ring?

I have confirmed that OBi100 is installed properly **9 222 222 222 works fine.  In Google account have Google chat is and forwarded number is selected.  The phone directly connected to the OBi100 does not ring.  Can you let me know what I have to do to get this working.

I have also followed the steps http://obihai.com/googlevoiceFAQ.html#15 of the section – My OBi Does Not Ring.  But it yet does not work.

Please assist.   Many thanks!

jimates

Is the Google Chat listed as a forwarding phone on your google voice page?
If yes, is there a check mark in front of it.
If no, did you complete the process at gmail and make one successful call from within gmail?
If yes, make sure you do not have anything else running that uses the Google Chat interface. This would include, Talkatone, GrooveIp, and even GMail.

Macintheus

If you can make outgoing calls with no problem, but incoming calls don't ring your OBi phone(s), here's something to check. After you've enabled Google Chat on the Phones tab in Google Voice settings, make sure that Google Talk is enabled for your Groups in Google Voice:

-Sign in to Google Voice
-Go to Settings (the little cog icon on the top right corner)
-On the "Phones" tab, make sure that Google Chat is enabled (checked)
-Go to the "Groups & Circles" tab, and make sure that Google Talk (oddly enough, it's called Talk here and not Chat) is set to "Forwards To" for your groups (you can edit the "Forwards To" options for each of your groups by clicking "Edit" below the group name).

This fixed the problem of no incoming calls for me. Hope it helps you too!

jimates

Quote from: Macintheus on October 19, 2012, 09:25:03 AM
If you can make outgoing calls with no problem, but incoming calls don't ring your OBi phone(s), here's something to check. After you've enabled Google Chat on the Phones tab in Google Voice settings, make sure that Google Talk is enabled for your Groups in Google Voice:

-Sign in to Google Voice
-Go to the "Groups & Circles" tab, and make sure that Google Talk (oddly enough, it's called Talk here and not Chat) is set to "Forwards To" for your groups (you can edit the "Forwards To" options for each of your groups by clicking "Edit" below the group name).

I don't understand how this can be a fix for no calls, unless you previously took google talk out of all your groups. When you add a new forwarding phone it is automatically added to every group you have. So when you set up gmail for calling google adds google chat to your forwarding phones and at that time it is added to every group you have. It is not checked in the forwarding phones list by default though, you must manually check it there.

If you don't want calls from a certain group forwarded to that phone (google chat) you must go into the groups and edit them.

DavidSr

Quote from: jimates on October 19, 2012, 01:30:00 PM
Quote from: Macintheus on October 19, 2012, 09:25:03 AM

-Sign in to Google Voice

I don't understand how this can be a fix for no calls, unless you previously took google talk out of all your groups. When you add a new forwarding phone it is automatically added to every group you have. So when you set up gmail for calling google adds google chat to your forwarding phones and at that time it is added to every group you have. It is not checked in the forwarding phones list by default though, you must manually check it there.

If you don't want calls from a certain group forwarded to that phone (google chat) you must go into the groups and edit them.

Though you may think Macintheus is wrong, they are exactly correct!  Though as of today (Dec 20, 2013) we only have a few months before Google pulls the Obi-plug, and our phones will not work at all. 

But anyway I noticed my wired phone had stopped ringing. My Cell rang as soon as anyone called. I thought it was my wired ringer, tried a different phone, same thing. I googled it and I found "Macintheus" post above about Google Chat checked. I followed his instructions and noticed the box next to "Google chat" was not checked. I check it and the wired phone is now ringing !! 

I think maybe google turned this off. The ringing stopped about the same time CHAT was replaced with Hangouts. Though as of today, it still says "Google chat" in Gvoice under the PHONES tab. 

What other changed are we in for ??? When Google discontinues this service in May, I guess I'll look at the MagicJack???? we shall see.

Anyway, mine is working for now!