News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Canandian Service Providers eh? (Comments from users/service providers)

Started by QBZappy, May 31, 2011, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Any Canadians out there have an opinion on service providers they have tried setting up on an OBi (good or bad). Any Canadian Service Providers interested in offering their services to OBi users? (Think group discount)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

baxtr

I am not Canadian, but I signed up with Voip.ms for SP2. I used the Voip.ms credentials with the OBiTalk setup; no problems. Their rates seem ok and they have good comments on DslReports. They did require ID verification for unlimited international calling.

RCIadmin

Just connected an obi100 to voip.ms and had one of the clearest calls to Canada in a long while (using voip.ms premium service). Better than ringcentral and fonality by far.

Tested against voip.ms "value" service, and I could really hear the difference.

They have servers all over, so get your traceroute tool out and find the lowest hops / ping from your IP. I have a clean 19ms connection to their Chicago Server using SBC Global from Ohio.

Also, connecting and feature set is free. You just pay for the minutes.

QBZappy

Occasionally we still need to send or receive faxes.

Sending faxes:
I can confirm that I can send faxes with Freephoneline and voip.ms.

Receiving Faxes:
Receiving faxes is problematic.
Voip.ms forget about it with the value service. Can not receive any faxes with that service. I can not say anything about their premium voip service.

Freephonline seems to have an undocumented and unsupported fax service. You have to find mention of it in their forum. It seems to work. It saves it as a PDF. You can have the fax message emailed to you and/or you can view it in the Freephoneline voice mail portal using your browser.

If you still need to send/receive faxes the choice of SP is important, as they don't all support it. I learned this the hard way.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

lhm.

I have used voip.ms for 2 years and RingCentral for over 5 years. Both are excellent providers, they offer some what different services.

glhunt

How did you obtain one?
I just come across this unit and wish to buy but Amazon doesn't sell bugger-all to Canadian's unless you like Books or DVD. OBi seems too miss counted us as potential purchaser.  

QBZappy

glhunt,

Hi, apparently you can get it shipped to Canada using Amazon.com. Have a look here

Quote from: ShermanObi on June 10, 2011, 06:05:46 PM
"Add to Cart" button associated with the "Seller" Amazon.com

However, using the Amazon.com site I can't seem to get it shipped to Canada either. In the link I provided above it mentions to select the item "Seller" Amazon.com. How do we do that? There doesn't seem to be a way of selecting this.

Amazon website shows:
Sold by Obihai Technology, Inc. and Fulfilled by Amazon. 
http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318474719&sr=8-1

How are you Canadians buying the OBi and getting it shipped to Canada using Amazon.com?

QBZappy

Dav3yDark0,

Yes there is, but the OBi is not offered on the Canadian Amazon site.

JustBob

FYI, I was able to order from amazon.com with no problem whatsoever. Perhaps they now allow international shipping on the OBi110, but they didn't when you guys tried?

Order Summary:

Item(s) Subtotal:   $49.99
Shipping & Handling:   $9.98
   -----
Total Before Tax:   $59.97
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:   $0.00
Import Fees Deposit   $6.70
   -----
Grand Total:   $66.67

JohnP

Same for me .... received it last week no problems... the key seems to be that Amazon is the vendor.

Order Summary:

Item(s) Subtotal:   $49.99
Shipping & Handling:   $9.98
    -----
Total Before Tax:   $59.97
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:   $0.00
Import Fees Deposit   $6.70
    -----
Grand Total:   $66.67

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

Petro Canada Mobility is discontinuing their 'unlimited' talk, text & browse offering ($49.95) effective 12 mid-night tonight.

Present subscribers will be able to keep their plan, if they use the 'auto top up' feature, but, after 12 tonight, the offer will be removed from their web site.

Petro Canada Mobility uses the Rogers network.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

VOIPisGreat

I noticed that there are some free incoming US DID available... Are there any free incoming Canadian DID options?

QBZappy

VOIPisGreat,

Freephone line offers free Canadian DID. There is a small wrinkle with that. The free DID only works with their FPL voip app. You can not use the Canadian DID number with any ATA unless you pay them a $50 (lifetime) fee for credentials to use in a BYOD box. $50 represents about 2 year ROI if you go with any other low cost voip provider, or 1 or 2 months if you are with Bhell.

Robert.Thompson

I am testing AcroVoice (http://www.acrovoice.ca/) for some 'technically-challenged' friends who want to go VOIP.

So far, the voice quality is great and no problems with reliability.

They setup my existing Obi 110, which was connected to Anveo, in about 2 minutes and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Their support is just great - I had questions before I made the switch.

This is a real simple alternative to Bell Canada for those who want to try VOIP - AcroVoice does it all.

It may not be as inexpensive as rolling your own but for people who want plug & play VOIP, this could be the answer.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com