News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

911 and the Obi110...the search continues...

Started by jayd4wg, March 19, 2011, 06:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayd4wg

I'm implementing OBi110 to cut bills like everyone else but I have a specific need and am curious how to set up a dialing plan to accomplish what i'm trying to do.

My SipGate (sp2) account allows e911 and I subscribe to this service (all of $1.90 per month)...i've scheduled a test of this service with the local PSAP and they get my address just fine.  This is important to me because I have young kids and trying to train them to use a "smart" phone to make a 911 call is harder than one might imagine.  If i could figure out a way for them to call 911 with the Wii on the other hand, they could probably accomplish this i a half a second.  The home screen on the smart phone has too many distractions.  My 7 year old can think of nothing else as soon as he sees the Angry Birds app on my phone.

SO here goes.  SP1 set up with GV using the Configurator.  Service works like a champ.
SP2 set up with sipGate and service works fine when selected using **2

I'd like to set up a dialing plan on SP1 that converts 911 to **2911 to trunk the emergency call out SP2.  does this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

yhfung

I believe that you have to modify the dial plan for SP1 such that it can forward your 911 to SP2.

YH

Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

jayd4wg

I think i found it but would like one of the braintrust here to confirm.

in the PHONE Port interface, there is an OutboundCallRoute of;
{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

if i edit this to read:
{(<#:>|911):sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

I think I will be there...thoughts?  obviously, I'll schedule another test with the PSAP before trusting this change.

RonR

This is probably a little better way to do it.  This leaves the meaning of a single '#' unchanged:

{911:sp2},{(<#:>):li}

Dixon

They way I have it setup is

Phone OutboundCallRoute
{911:sp2},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

From this thread:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=387.0

I have GV on sp1, Callcentric on sp2

jayd4wg

RonR

jayd4wg,

Dixon's is missing the ()'s in:

{(<#:>):li}

and

Dixon's is missing the route for LINE Port usage:

{(<**8:>(Mli)):li}

RonR

Dixon,

I know you don't use the LINE Port, but you don't want to use examples that break it for others (even though they might not use it now either, they might want to in the future).

Dixon

Quote from: RonR on March 19, 2011, 07:35:13 AM
Dixon,

I know you don't use the LINE Port, but you don't want to use examples that break it for others (even though they might not use it now either, they might want to in the future).

Where does that go? Can you post the whole sequence?

RonR

Quote from: Dixon on March 19, 2011, 08:16:59 AMWhere does that go? Can you post the whole sequence?
It's not critical where it goes.  Here's the original unmodified OutboundCallRoute from the OBi Device Administration Guide:

{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

jayd4wg

not sure what happened...i thought i just bricked my OBi...but i'm back up and running (wierd problem after firmware upgrade and trying to set my IP to a static address on the network.  I will be NATing a port to the Obi box so i have remote admin ability. 

First time thru, i set up GV and SG manually...THEN i found the online portal/configurator under the Add a Device link...MUCH easier to set up the secondary SP. 

I will be implementing this (the 911 routing) on monday when verizon shuts down my POTS and reprovisions FIOS wiith internet and TV...reduced my total spend in the neighborhood of 50-75 bucks a month.  I'll be testing with the PSAP as soon as I implement (coordinated with them of course) as my e911 will be going thru sipGate.  guys, thanks for your help...

Dixon

So is this correct?

{911:sp2},{(<#:>:li)},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}{(<**8:>(Mli)):li}

RonR

Dixon,

Routes have to be separated by a comma.  You added the **8 route on to the end without a comma to separate it from the **9 route.

You also misplaced the ')' in the second route.  It should be:

{(<#:>):li}

Just for cosmetic sake, I think it's a little 'prettier' with the **? routes in numeric order, but it's functionally correct either way.

Dixon

{911:sp2},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

Forgot to fix this part. So this should be right?

RonR

I think so.  When setting these up, I like to call the non-emergency phone number and ask for permission to make a test call to 911 just to make sure it arrives and has the proper information attached.

Dixon

I just did a test to 911. I called the contol center first to ask permission to do a test to 911. The call went through fine.
I forgot to modify before the test. So still have this in the Obi:

{911:sp2},{<#:>:li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

That worked. I may just leave it that way.

This has a couple extry (). Are those necessary?
{911:sp2},{(<#:>:li)},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

Dixon

Also should be noted that since I only have a SIP and no DID through Callcentric that 911 has the wrong call back number.

Edit:
I just fixed this by putting my GV number (Unit Phone xxx-xxx-xxxx) in the "address 2" field. So my phone will come up with my addy.

RonR

The '{(<#:>):li}' route is used to gain direct access to the LINE Port and doesn't affect your 911 calling through SP2.  The ()'s are required for proper operation of that rule, so I would put them in so that if you ever try to use the LINE Port in the future, you won't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why it's not working correctly.  There's also potential for an unexpected/unexplained side-effect to some other function that might be tougher to identify at a later date.

It's always best to do it 100% right.  I'd stick with:

{911:sp2},{(<#:>):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(Mpli):pli},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp}

You shouldn't have to make another 911 test call.

Dixon

Quote from: RonR on March 19, 2011, 01:35:06 PM
The '{(<#:>):li}' route is used to gain direct access to the LINE Port and doesn't affect your 911 calling through SP2.  The ()'s are required for proper operation of that rule, so I would put them in so that if you ever try to use the LINE Port in the future, you won't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why it's not working correctly.  There's also potential for an unexpected/unexplained side-effect to some other function that might be tougher to identify at a later date.
It's always best to do it 100% right.  I'd stick with:

You shouldn't have to make another 911 test call.

Ok. I put it in as you advised. Thank you for helping!