News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 & FreePhoneLine - Register Failed, No Incoming Calls, but Can Call Out

Started by PositronicTomato, September 07, 2012, 07:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PositronicTomato

I recently got an Obi202 and have been trying to configure it with FreePhoneLine.ca (FPL).

Using the most basic settings (username, password, and inbound/outbound proxy), I can make outgoing calls, but registration fails (with the error, "Register Failed: No Response From Server") and I don't receive calls.  

When I go to "Your SIP Status" in FPL's SIP settings, it shows "SIP Status" as being "disconnected."

When I try to call my FPL number, it:

• Doesn't ring (on either the phone plugged into the Obi nor the phone that's placing the call) and I get the message, "The person you are trying to reach is not available, please leave a message."  (In FPL's Voicemail Settings, it is set to ring 5 times before going to voicemail.)
  • For each call that I try to make to the Obi, the call is registered in FPL's call logs twice – both with identical entries, except different "Disconnect reasons."  The first says "Normal call clearing" and the second says, "Destination out of order."

I'm on a DSL connection with a Speedtouch 516 modem (firewall mode is disabled).  I had it connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, but I removed it to eliminate it as being a possible issue (which didn't help).  The DSL modem is connected to the 202 (my computer connects to a dlink DGS-1005D switch, which is connected to the LAN port on the 202).

Besides the username, password, and proxy servers, other SIP settings given in FPL's configuration are (copied/pasted):

-------------
Inbound/Outbound Proxy:  voip.freephoneline.ca
Registration Expires:  180 to 3600
Use Preferred Codec:  G711U or G729a
Use Preferred Codec Only:  No
RTP Packet Size:  0.020
Ring Tone Frequency:  52
Ring Tone Voltage:  90
Recommended Linksys Dial String:
(911|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|98*|[6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.)
(please note that this is a Linksys dial string we use for our devices and may not work with third party, non-Linksys/Sipura devices)
-------------

I've tried configuring some of those values, but didn't have much luck, so I reset the Expert Config to get it back to ground zero.

In the 202's basic config, FPL was set up as a Generic Service Provider with the URI left blank and 911 unchecked (I do have 911 configured on FPL, but left it disabled on the 202 to simplify things - I tried it checked before and it didn't work then either).

If anyone could assist, it would be greatly appreciated!

PositronicTomato

Inbound calls are not showing in the Obi Call History.

I tried going into Expert Config and changing:

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A SIP > Changed RegistrarServer from <blank> to "voip.freephoneline.ca"
Same error - "Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=208.65.240.165:5060; retry in ...)"

Changed UserAgentDomain from <blank> to "voip.freephoneline.ca"
Same error.

I don't know what else to try to get it to register.

PositronicTomato

Resolved!

SIP ALG was enabled on the SpeedTouch 516 modem.
After entering some CLI commands over Telnet, the 202 successfully registered and I was able to receive calls.

To see what was REALLY necessary to be configured on the 202 (I made a number of changes while troubleshooting), I cleared all of my previous changes (deleting the Service Providers and clearing the Expert Config) and created it again from scratch.

Configured FPL as a Generic Service Provider.

Entered Service Provider Proxy Server (Inbound Proxy in FPL), Outbound Proxy Server (Outbound Proxy), User Name (SIP Username), and Password (SIP Password).

For some reason, after doing that, it still said "Service Not Configured."

I had to go into Expert Config and manually enter the "AuthUserName" (SIP Username) and "AuthPassword" (SIP Password) in the SP1 Service settings.  I know it did it automatically for me earlier on when I first got the Obi.  I must have reset something by accident.

After entering the credentials, it was good to go.

To run the commands on the 516 modem:

Open a command prompt (Start > cmd) type telnet <IP address of modem>

If Telnet doesn't work for you on Windows 7, check here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771275(v=ws.10).aspx#bkmk_installVista

You may need to be on the same subnet as the modem (so if there's a router between your comp and the modem, I'm not sure it will work).

The default username was "Administrator" and the default password was blank (just hit ENTER).

I used the commands from the second to last post here:

http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?t=1144

...but I received an error for some lines.

Where he had:
service host add name=VoIP mode=server

I had to enter:
service host add
then hit ENTER and then additional prompts came up that asked for the "name" and "mode."

Looked like this:
http://imgur.com/KiMMN

192.168.1.64 in the screenshot was the internal address of the Obi202.

I notice there's an error in there, but it still worked.
I'm not sure if all of those commands are really necessary (I haven't tested it any further).

Gotham

Hello I just read you post and I am having same problem as you. Therefore, I am trying to do same thing (configuring the modem from the telnet )but my modem is Thomson Gateway TG784 and I already using a voip phone line provided by ISP. I just want make sure when I modify that setting... does there is an impact on my current home phone line.

I stared a new topic about this and the link is http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4865.0

Thank you
Gotham