News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 line phone needed that can handle obi plus POTS lines

Started by BoomerForum, September 15, 2012, 08:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoomerForum

I have attached a new 2 line corded phone to both my Obi line and a regular phone line.  There is a distinct buzz.  Obi support tells me I need to get a cordless phone. 

I'd like to find a two line phone that has an attached handset.  Does anyone know of a corded phone that works in this setup Or a way to fix this problem in my current phone?

tx

Rick

You need to explain better. 

What model OBi do you have?

How exactly do you have the regular phone line and the OBi line hooked to your phone?

In short, a home usually has a phone wire with 4 conductors in it.  Red and Green are usually the ones used for the phone line.  If you hook up a two-line phone, whether corded or not corded, then you need to make use of the other pair of wires in the phone line AND have a 4-line phone cord connecting the phone to the wall, and possibly connect the other two wires in the wall to the jack since many times they aren't even connected.

On the other end, you need to connect the POTS line to one set of wires and the OBi to the other set of wires, likely by bringing the house wire into a junction box and splitting off the two pairs into separate jacks, then running one cord to the OBi and another to the regular phone line. 

Or, if you want two lines running through the OBi, you need the OBi 202.  If you're going to use a 2-line phone, instead of two 1-line phones, you'll need to run a phone cord from each of the 202's phone ports to a splitter which brings them back into one 4 line connector which then runs to your 2-line phone.

Hope that makes sense.

BoomerForum

I have an OBI 100.  I'm taking the phone cable from that directly into the first port of a two-line phone.  I'm then taking the regular phone line from the wall and putting that into the second port on the phone.

Rick

Quote from: BoomerForum on September 16, 2012, 01:48:33 PM
I have an OBI 100.  I'm taking the phone cable from that directly into the first port of a two-line phone.  I'm then taking the regular phone line from the wall and putting that into the second port on the phone.

Ok, so do you have a dial tone on each line, but one or both of those dial tones has a buzz?

If yes, unhook one of the lines and test the other.  Then, hookup the second line and unhook the first.  If the buzz only exists when both lines are plugged in, I'd argue that you have a cheap phone.