News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 + Phone Splitter + Connect phone and fax ?

Started by vskatusa, September 15, 2012, 02:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vskatusa

Hi,

My setup:
OBI100 connected to a phone + GV - I have MFC-465CN Brother multi-function printer + scanner + fax machine.

I want to send out fax.

Can I connect the phone splitter to my OBI100 and then one to phone (ASIS today) and connect the other one to my Brother machine. Will this setup work so that I can fax from my brother machine? I do not intend to use faxing and phone simultaneously.

Splitter like this
http://www.summitsource.com/dual-modular-phone-splitter-jack-adapter-divider-line-2-way-white-telephone-signal-snapin-connector-modular-plug-jack-cable-device-part-rca-tp257-tp257-p-1474.html
Thanks
vskatusa

QBZappy

vskatusa,

Only the OBi110 can be used to connect a fax machine directly via the line port.

EDIT: should be connected to phone port
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MurrayB

Hi:

Physically that is the proper way to connect two devices to the Obi phone port. However, if you comb the forum I believe that you will learn that faxing via VOIP is highly unreliable.

Good Luck!

jjtricket

Give the adapter/splitter a try with your unit and let us know if it works or not.

Tried it with my obi202 and it works.

The fax has been working for me, the only hiccup, when I fax several pages then it becomes unpredictable.

Rick

Quote from: QBZappy on September 15, 2012, 02:40:25 PM
vskatusa,

Only the OBi110 can be used to connect a fax machine directly via the line port.

Fax machine would be on the same phone cord as the phone, and connect to the OBi, and then setup to fax via the line port and a POTS line, you wouldn't connect the fax machine to the line port. 

However, you may (YMMV) send a fax just fine with the 100 or the 110 and no phone line, using GV.  I do it all the time.  You do have to slow the fax machine down and turn off error correction, but it works fine. 

azrobert

I have my fax connected directly to my OBi110 phone port and my phone connected to the fax.  No splitter.

Reliability depends on your ISP.