News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 - can this be used for home security

Started by bcd79, September 16, 2012, 11:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcd79

I moved to a new home recently and have setup obi with anveo for my home phone system.  everything is working perfectly (for now).

My next project is to install a wireless home security system . I am not going to invest in a expensive system but to get something like "securityman" or "skyline", something in the range of 150-200 dollars.

I also don't want to subscriber to a monitoring service.
I just want the system to dial out my cell number when one of the sensors is tripped.

question is can i implement the following with OBI and another service like Anveo?

can the dialer in these security system used to dial out?

I read instruction on the "securityman" DIY security system and it says that it is not compatible with majicjack, comcast voip except for one linksys adapter from Vonage

Rick

I would suspect that if it's not compatible with magicjack or Comcast, it's not going to work with any system that uses the internet, but of course there's no easy way to know for sure.

You might want to consider a system with monitoring.  Why?  If for no other reason that you might save more money on your homeowner insurance than the system costs to monitor, especially if you use a company like Alarm Relay ($8.95 per month first year, $10.45 per month years 3+). 

Because your system is monitored, you get a discount on burglary.  Add smoke detectors to it, another discount.  With my insurance, this year they added discounts for freeze, carbon monoxide, and leak detection.  I had the carbon monoxide detectors, added freeze and leak for under $40 for both, and saved another chunk off my insurance.  In total, over 10% on my insurance with a monitored system.

MurrayB

I am not familiar with "securityman" or "skyline" systems. You can purchase the bits and pieces to assemble an Ademco system, arguably the standard for ever, on line. Install it yourself and have a top quality system that will serve you well for years.

AWEstun

it will work with a voip, as a regular voice phone, if the alarm system can dial a number with voice messages.  i.e. playing an audio message "alarm triggered - activity garage."

ours works this way with both obi and ooma.

the reason why alarm companies say alarm systems wont work with a voip is the alarm uses a modem data connection to connect to the alarm monitoring center.  this modem data connection is most likely not compatible with voip protocols used.

tillithz

you probably can use this for the monitoring. It is said not to work with voip because theres many times configuration issues. Namely, the timing for say (contact id) in sending the signals and voip codec not being able to relay the signals quick enough.

That being said, there are many tutorials here to explain how to get it to work. If i remember right there was 1 or 2 settings that actually mattered. I believe one of them was the common codec that has to be used. Gsomething.

Why wouldnt you want it monitored? i mean a home invasion or a fire would be a great example of having it be monitored paying off. also, you can probably get a $200 ademco vista10/15 with wireless sensors and have a solid system.

MurrayB

There really is no magic to installing a good Ademco system just care. You can purchase the components from one of two very helpful and reputable companies that will provide tremendous support. Monitoring is available very economically as well. Connect this properly via POTS or PSTN, whichever you prefer to call it and you will have a totally reliable system. I did this in two locations.