News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

QoS General Settings and Priority Class Bandwidth Allocation

Started by jjtricket, September 25, 2012, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjtricket

RE: QoS General Settings and Priority Class Bandwidth Allocation Settings

If you are using a dedicated modem for an Obi202 (voip only, no surfing) what settings, if any, would you recommend for best call quality and performance with the following modems?

Cisco dpc3000 docsis 3 Cable modem #1 = 63mbps down and 12mbps up.

Motorola sb5101 docsis 2 Cable modem #2 = 30mbps down and 6mbps up.

Modem only, no router

QBZappy

jjtricket,

I use Tomato firmware in my router for QOS, however I beleive the following general concepts should apply to the OBi QOS.

If you hover over the question mark in the below section you will see a note stating only the WAN port has QOS. It seems that voice packets are prioritized automatically.

QoS General Settings
Enable      = checkmark
UpStreamBandwidth    (90% of your ISP. Any value lower than actual will throttle your bandwitdh)
RestrictedBandwidth (90% of your ISP. Any value lower than actual will throttle your bandwitdh)

Note with the speeds that you have mentioned you should have no problems.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jjtricket

Thanks for the reply!

A couple of additional questions:

1. What is DMZ and should it be enabled? Keep in mind, no router.
2. Would you enable the firewall?
3. Can you elaborate on the settings for Priority Class Bandwidth Allocation?
4. Does 90% of your isp refer to uploads only?

QBZappy

1. What is DMZ and should it be enabled? Keep in mind, no router.
DMZ opens all ports to the device located on that internal ip. Said in another way, no firewall rules will be protecting the device located at that ip address. DMZ is usuful in some specific use cases.

2. Would you enable the firewall?
Yes. A consequence of this is that you may then need to poke some holes in the firewall by port forwarding some some ports which apps require when passing over the WAN.

3. Can you elaborate on the settings for Priority Class Bandwidth Allocation?
This setting throttles the bandwidth in order to prioritize what ever you choose to be more or less important. The classic example is voip vs torrents.

4. Does 90% of your isp refer to uploads only?
Both
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Use this site to confirm your up/download speeds. Set the QOS to 90% of these values.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Quote:
we are primarily having issues with the person we are speaking with. Never a problem on our end, but they hear breakup, cutouts, static periodically.

That indicates either your upload or the problem is at the other end if they are also using voip. Then it would indicate that they are having problems on the download side. Are they using voip?

Using the OBi echo test should give you an idea of the sound quality.

Priority Class Bandwidth Allocation could be tweaked based on your experimenting. For the time being try leaving them at default.