News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 and star codes

Started by aloysius, September 29, 2012, 07:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aloysius

Hello,
it's been a while since my last visit. I thought I had everything running smoothly, but now I discovered I can't hide my CID.

My telco requires the *67# code to mask it once but if I receive a dial error if I use it.
I tried altering Code 5 in the star codes section, and if I change it to "*67#, Block Caller ID Once, set($Bci1,1)" the number is correctly dialed, but CID is in the clear.

I suspect I also have to change something in the dialplan to differentiate between landline and voip, but I wouldn't know where to start. ???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

QBZappy

aloysius,

The OBi reserves the "*" as a special character. Ianobi has come up with a way to overcome this. He should be along shortly to explain how.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

aloysius,

Let me see if I understand the question  :-\

*67 blocks caller ID one time when dialling from the OBi110 using voip.
You wish to send *67# to your telco PSTN line to stop the telco sending out your Caller ID.

If I understand correctly, then there are several possible answers.

Leave the OBi *67 as it is. When dialling via your telco PSTN line start with #, which bridges the phone port to the line port, then dial out using *67# followed by the number.

Another answer is to change the number in OBi Star Code 5 position to different digits, maybe *66, and use that for voip calls. Then add *67#xx. to the beginning of your Line Port DigitMap , so

(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

Change to:

(*67#xx.|xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

Now, assuming that Phone Port PrimaryLine is PSTN, then any call starting *67# will go to the telco. The DigitMap can be refined if the calls starting with *67# are of a definite number of digits.

I hope I got the question right!!

QBZappy

ianobi,

I thought that you where going to show the @@ thingy that you figured out.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

Zappy,

That was more to do with calls via OBiTALK trunks. I don't think it applies here. Although, I'm still not sure if I am answering the right question here  :)

QBZappy

ianobi,

I believe it is possible to insert * as a literal string by surrounding it in a quote ". It then could be possible to control the * to mean something other what the OBi expects to see in the star code list.

ianobi

QBZappy,

yes, I see what you mean. The problem here (I think) is dialling *67# to go out on PSTN, which I guess is the Primary Line. *67 might get swallowed by the OBi and used as the Star Code and never get to line. The # could also be a problem as OBi sees that just as an instruction to send preceding digits out to line.

My first idea was the most simple - press # get telco dial tone then dial *67# etc each time you want to hide your Caller ID.

The other idea probably needs refining. Stop *67 from being a Star Code (maybe change to *66). Then add *67<#>xx. to the Line Port DigitMap. Then only dial *67 on call going out to PSTN and let OBi insert the #

I'm really not sure now if I am "on topic" or "off topic"   :)

aloysius

Quote from: ianobi on September 29, 2012, 09:05:10 AM
aloysius,

Let me see if I understand the question  :-\

*67 blocks caller ID one time when dialling from the OBi110 using voip.
You wish to send *67# to your telco PSTN line to stop the telco sending out your Caller ID.

If I understand correctly, then there are several possible answers.

Leave the OBi *67 as it is. When dialling via your telco PSTN line start with #, which bridges the phone port to the line port, then dial out using *67# followed by the number.

Another answer is to change the number in OBi Star Code 5 position to different digits, maybe *66, and use that for voip calls. Then add *67#xx. to the beginning of your Line Port DigitMap , so

(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

Change to:

(*67#xx.|xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

Now, assuming that Phone Port PrimaryLine is PSTN, then any call starting *67# will go to the telco. The DigitMap can be refined if the calls starting with *67# are of a definite number of digits.

I hope I got the question right!!

First of all, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the notification for this thread wasn't set, so I  read it only now.
I just tested the solution and it works perfectly!

I wish I could wrap my head around all these parameters; for some reason I can't seem to get it.

So, once again, many thanks for your help.

P.S: do you think there's a way to combine the (now) *66 command with **1 ?

ianobi

It is possible to make Star Codes Trunk specific.

The default in Star Code slot 5 was:

*67, Block Caller ID Once, set($BCI1,1)
- Enable masking of caller ID information once for the next call on any trunk.

You changed it to *66. If you further add in SP1 as shown here:
*66, Block Caller ID Once, set(SP1($BCI1,1))
- Enable masking of caller ID information once for the next call on SP1 trunk.

I have not tried this! Also, it means that *66 would only be able to be applied to sp1 and no other trunk.

I suggested *66 as it seems to be spare in my Obi110. However, I note in the ObiDeviceAdminGuide it now seems to be in use for:
Code19    Default = Repeat Dial Star Code    *66, Repeat Dial, rpdi($Ldn)

I'm running the latest firmware for the Obi110 and it still has *66 spare.

aloysius

Quote from: ianobi on November 01, 2012, 09:45:42 AM
It is possible to make Star Codes Trunk specific.

The default in Star Code slot 5 was:

*67, Block Caller ID Once, set($BCI1,1)
- Enable masking of caller ID information once for the next call on any trunk.

You changed it to *66. If you further add in SP1 as shown here:
*66, Block Caller ID Once, set(SP1($BCI1,1))
- Enable masking of caller ID information once for the next call on SP1 trunk.

I have not tried this! Also, it means that *66 would only be able to be applied to sp1 and no other trunk.

I suggested *66 as it seems to be spare in my Obi110. However, I note in the ObiDeviceAdminGuide it now seems to be in use for:
Code19    Default = Repeat Dial Star Code    *66, Repeat Dial, rpdi($Ldn)

I'm running the latest firmware for the Obi110 and it still has *66 spare.

Unfortunately it didn't work :-\ I hear an immediate congestion tone.

*66 appears to be free on my OBi110 (Code19= *05, Repeat Dial, rpdi($Ldn)), but also I'm still running 1.3.0: do you think upgrading would change anything about this?

ianobi

I should have said SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2744), which is the latest and *66 is still spare.

How about trying the default setting with *66:
*66, Block Caller ID Once, set($BCI1,1)

Then dial **1 followed by the number.

aloysius

Quote from: ianobi on November 01, 2012, 10:28:23 AM
I should have said SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2744), which is the latest and *66 is still spare.

How about trying the default setting with *66:
*66, Block Caller ID Once, set($BCI1,1)

Then dial **1 followed by the number.

1.3.0 (Build: 2690) for me.

With that setting, **1 works but the number is in the clear.
*66<number> doesn't appear to have any effect, it dials with the default port (LINE) and CID is still present.

ianobi

Just to be clear:

You dial *66, which gives you dial tone. Then you dial **1 followed by the number.

The call should have gone out on sp1 with or without Caller ID.

aloysius

Quote from: ianobi on November 01, 2012, 10:59:30 AM
Just to be clear:

You dial *66, which gives you dial tone. Then you dial **1 followed by the number.

The call should have gone out on sp1 with or without Caller ID.

Sorry, I understand now.
The procedure works, but the CID is still present.  :-\

ianobi

That's odd. I'm running out of ideas  ??? Also running out of time for today. Over the next few days I will try to reproduce exactly what you are doing on my OBi and see if I can figure something out.

Keep experimenting, I find trial and error is a good method  :)

aloysius

Quote from: ianobi on November 01, 2012, 11:18:15 AM
That's odd. I'm running out of ideas  ??? Also running out of time for today. Over the next few days I will try to reproduce exactly what you are doing on my OBi and see if I can figure something out.

Keep experimenting, I find trial and error is a good method  :)

I will, thanks for your help.

ianobi

First the corrections    From the ObiDeviceAdminGuide:
$BCI = block outbound caller-ID enable (trunk specific; admissible value: 0 for disable, 1 for enable)
$BCI1 = block caller-ID once (global; admissible value: 1 for enable)
So the persistant version of blocking can be trunk specific, but the "block once" has to be global – all trunks.

From my experiments, all that is happening here is that if you use *67 (*66 in your case), then all that happens is that Obi blocks Caller ID Name.

I tried using "Caller ID Spoofing" (not using Star Codes). This can be made to work, but then most providers use the Caller ID as part of the call authentication process, so the call fails. I was using sip2sip for my experiments – calls fail without Caller ID.

Is this another case of sending a code to your service provider to get them to block your Caller ID from going forward to the called number?

aloysius

Quote from: ianobi on November 02, 2012, 04:08:50 AM
First the corrections    From the ObiDeviceAdminGuide:
$BCI = block outbound caller-ID enable (trunk specific; admissible value: 0 for disable, 1 for enable)
$BCI1 = block caller-ID once (global; admissible value: 1 for enable)
So the persistant version of blocking can be trunk specific, but the "block once" has to be global – all trunks.

From my experiments, all that is happening here is that if you use *67 (*66 in your case), then all that happens is that Obi blocks Caller ID Name.

I tried using "Caller ID Spoofing" (not using Star Codes). This can be made to work, but then most providers use the Caller ID as part of the call authentication process, so the call fails. I was using sip2sip for my experiments – calls fail without Caller ID.

Is this another case of sending a code to your service provider to get them to block your Caller ID from going forward to the called number?

Unfortunately most of what you said is Greek to me. :D
I saw an X_SpoofCallerID parameter under ITSP Profile A, but there's only a checkbox as value. I understand that's only to allow it, but where is the outgoing CID supposed to be specified? ???

Anyway this issue is not really important for me: the real crux was with *67# and that has been solved.

jimates

x_calleridspoofing is only for bridged calls. You don't provide the information, it is taken from the original call that id being bridged.

X_CallerIdSpoofing

Allow outbound Caller ID spoofing. If set to Yes, device will attempt to set the caller-id name and userid field in the FROM header to that of a remote caller in the case of a bridged call (from another trunk, such as PSTN Line or another SP Service).
Otherwise, device always its own account information to form the FROM header.

Note that most service provider will not allow originating a call if the FROM header field does not match the account credentials. Enable this option only if you are sure that the service provider allows it, e.g. an IP PBX may allow it.

ianobi

@ jimates:

Everything you say is true. However, in additon it is possible to "invent" Caller ID by setting Allow Outbound Caller ID Spoofing to Yes and putting a rule such as this:

{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2(123456>)}

into the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute. This will change Caller ID for calls dialled with **2 to 123456.

Anyhow, it's all a bit academic as the result with most service provider is that the call fails its authentication process.

Another little trip down a wandering tangent of a lane  :)