News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 and E911 - Setup/Suggestions

Started by khantpr, October 01, 2012, 11:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khantpr

I already have OBi110 for 2+ years now and very happy with it. I have following set-up:

SP1 - Google Voice for outgoing and incoming
SP2 - VOIPo for incoming only and no outgoing service at all(I have signed up for forwarding service only and using SIP setup to receive calls on SP2 http://www.voipo.com/cloudnumbers.php)

With that given, is it possible to sign up for E911 with a provider(like call centric etc) and set it up on my OBi and still use GV for incoming/outgoing on SP1 and VOIPo on SP2 for Incoming?

Any thoughts feedback etc?

lhm.

Rick

Quote from: lhm. on October 01, 2012, 02:10:10 PM
Yes, use gv911.com

Works for me.

I think one has to put in perspective what 911 is used for - emergencies.  In other words, you almost never use it, but when you need to reach police, fire, or ambulance, it HAS TO WORK.

I went with Call Centric because I wanted a reliable solution that wasn't a fly by night site setup last week (or a few months ago).  I want it to work reliably.

GV911.com was setup on 7/2/12 on GoDaddy.  They appear to be part of Bulk Solutions, which established Bulk911 on 1/1/12.  Neither site offers a physical address or a privacy policy or anything.  I found an address in Wilmington, DE in the Whois listing.  I wouldn't put my E911 here...

Rick

Quote from: khantpr on October 01, 2012, 11:15:32 AM
I already have OBi110 for 2+ years now and very happy with it. I have following set-up:

SP1 - Google Voice for outgoing and incoming
SP2 - VOIPo for incoming only and no outgoing service at all(I have signed up for forwarding service only and using SIP setup to receive calls on SP2 http://www.voipo.com/cloudnumbers.php)

With that given, is it possible to sign up for E911 with a provider(like call centric etc) and set it up on my OBi and still use GV for incoming/outgoing on SP1 and VOIPo on SP2 for Incoming?

Any thoughts feedback etc?

I don't see how you can do what you want to do.  Call Centric needs to see the E911 call coming from their number for their E911 to work.

jimates

You can have more than one service use one SP (as long as they are both SIP) using trunk groups. I do not know how to configure it, but it can be done. IonObi can tell you how to configure it.

khantpr

Quote from: jimates on October 01, 2012, 05:51:32 PM
You can have more than one service use one SP (as long as they are both SIP) using trunk groups. I do not know how to configure it, but it can be done. IonObi can tell you how to configure it.

I would be interested in knowing how to set this up with more than one service on SP

ProfTech

Since the 110 only allows two service providers, I believe the third one would have to be built as a voice gateway. I believe those can only be used with a provider that does not require registration but not sure. Callcentric requires registration.

jimates

Quote from: ProfTech on October 02, 2012, 09:42:22 AM
Since the 110 only allows two service providers, I believe the third one would have to be built as a voice gateway. I believe those can only be used with a provider that does not require registration but not sure. Callcentric requires registration.
Yea, something like that.

LeoKing

Yep, I connected the MagicJack Plus to the OBi110's Line Port to use only 1 wireless phone system for the 2 GV's and the MJ+ and also, to use the MagicJack 911 with the OBi.

ianobi

I'm with Rick on this one. You need a reliable 911 provider.

ProfTech is correct that you can set up other providers that do not require registration on Voice Gateways. These work only on an outgoing only basis, they are unlikely to be reliable for 911.

What do you use now? If you are using a landline, then the OBi110 can use 911 on that service via its Line Port. If you are using cell phones, then you could consider something like the Xlink device connected to the Line Port. Note - if the cell phones are taken away from the Xlink, then you lose the 911 facility from the OBi110.

How about using Voipo 911?

Ostracus

ianobi

Yes, but khantpr would have to buy an OBi202 and the BT device! If he does not use the OBi110 Line Port, then the OBi202 might be a good choice for giving more service providers who can provide 911 service.

Lavarock7

I am kinda new at this, but couln't he sign up for a PBXes account and configure it on SP2. Then at PBXes, configure his Voipo and Callcentric?
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Ostracus

Quote from: ianobi on October 03, 2012, 11:02:05 AM
Yes, but khantpr would have to buy an OBi202 and the BT device! If he does not use the OBi110 Line Port, then the OBi202 might be a good choice for giving more service providers who can provide 911 service.

True, but an Xlink would run about roughly the same as an Obi202/BT.

VaHam

I use a Xlink-BTTN which also has FXO port with a Netalk Duo connected to it.  So 911 calls first try to go out on the NetTalk and if that fails they then attempt connection via one of our cell phones.  This method gives you 911 support even if your internet connection is down.

carl

Since the OP uses the SP2 only for incoming calls, the question  would be, why does not he take advantage of the free NYC DID Callcentric offers and only pays the 1.50 $ mothly 911 fee. This way he had a guaranteed working E911 plus a superb VOIP provider as SP2 which he can use whenever he feels like that.

khantpr

Quote from: carl on October 03, 2012, 06:47:16 PM
Since the OP uses the SP2 only for incoming calls, the question  would be, why does not he take advantage of the free NYC DID Callcentric offers and only pays the 1.50 $ mothly 911 fee. This way he had a guaranteed working E911 plus a superb VOIP provider as SP2 which he can use whenever he feels like that.

how do I do that?

jimates

Quote from: khantpr on October 05, 2012, 08:20:51 AM
Quote from: carl on October 03, 2012, 06:47:16 PM

how do I do that?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4270.0

lhm.

Call Centric, anyone test their E911 number yesterday or today? Good luck.