News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Vonage calls through my GV

Started by usindians, October 05, 2012, 07:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usindians

Hi
I just installed Obihai 110 device today. I am having a limited vonage plan and I am keeping that for specific purpose. However, I would like to route my vonage calls through GV such that when I make calls through my obitalk (GV) I want my vonage # to show as the CID. Is this possible? Also, given the limited minutes I have on vonage line, I would like to route all calls through GV. Any help to address this configuration is appreciated. If this has been previously answered please apologize my ignorance, I am new to this device and forum. Kindly point me in the right direction.

thanks

jimates

Google voice does not allow spoofing of the caller id, all calls will carry your google voice number. You can set google voice for all outgoing calls from the phone port. Incoming calls on the Vonage line will be charged against your Vonage minutes.

usindians

Thanks for your quick response...I pretty much guessed that. However, it not clear to me as to what is the purpose of the PSTN port on my 110 device? What can i do with it? What do we mean by bridging PSTN with GVoice? Sorry if I am asking you very basic questions. I am very new to these concepts. Also, how do i configure vonage line in sp2? Further, I would then like to make sp1 (Gvoice) as my dafault outgoing line and choose sp2 automatically if sp1 is busy, how can I achieve this so that I can take the guess work out of the way for the users.

thanks

jimates

Vonage would be the equivalent of a PSTN. Vonage is not configurable as a sip service. You would connect your Vonage adapter's phone port to the Line port of the Obi.

Setting google voice as the default service for outgoing calls is done on the dashboard when you set up google voice.

Having the Obi fail over to another line when sp1 is busy requires setting up voice gateway trunks. I really don't see any use for that on an Obi110 as you can only have one call from the phone port at a time.

usindians

Here is another scenario:
I now have 2 GV number on sp1 & Sp2 configured with my Obi110. I have Uniden Dect 6.0 cordless phone system with 6 handsets linked to the base unit. I noticed that I can receive 2 calls concurrently coming into both the number configured on sp1 & sp2.  Similarly, would I be able to make 2 concurrent outgoing calls using Sp1 & Sp2; wherein, obi110 automatically connects any handset in my house to one of the free line (between sp1 & sp2).

thanks for your response.

jimates

No. The Obi connects the SP1 or SP2 to the phone port, not to your individual handset. You can place 2 calls by placing one on hold, but you can only have one active at a time with the phone port.