News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

# not working like it used to..any advice??

Started by Raff, October 06, 2012, 01:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raff

A while back I asked how do I connect to my regular POTS line from an OBI 110, the answer was simple "hit the #" and dial. Also this worked if I was on my cordless phone and needed to use my corded (it's connected to the Obi) while on a call I'd just hit the # sign and I could hang up the cordless and be on the corded.

Today...I can make a call from the Obi phone using my POTS line by hitting the # sign and dialing but if I'm on a call on my cordless and hit the # sign on the obi phone I get the message "this service is not available"...what happened??

Rick

Quote from: Raff on October 06, 2012, 01:27:52 PM
A while back I asked how do I connect to my regular POTS line from an OBI 110, the answer was simple "hit the #" and dial. Also this worked if I was on my cordless phone and needed to use my corded (it's connected to the Obi) while on a call I'd just hit the # sign and I could hang up the cordless and be on the corded.

Today...I can make a call from the Obi phone using my POTS line by hitting the # sign and dialing but if I'm on a call on my cordless and hit the # sign on the obi phone I get the message "this service is not available"...what happened??

Every phone will work.  Just pickup the one you want to switch to.  No buttons to push...

Raff

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way on my system...My cordless phones will not allow any other cordless phone on the system to pick up if the line is in service..so what I do is go to my obi phone that is also connected to the regular line...hit the # to break into my regular POTS line...then hang up the cordless, because the corded is activated I done lose my call. Then pick up another cordless which will let me break into the corded line...it's weird but it worked before one of the upgrades.

jimates

My sister has an At&t cordless set that won't allow another handset to take the line without actually transferring the call to a particular handset.

I understand what you are saying. Since your cordless set would not let you barge in on the call. You would pick up the corded phone and press # to barge in. That put the call on the corded phone so you could hang up the cordless handset without loosing the call. Then you could go to another cordless handset and pickup the call.

I don't know why it would change after a fw update. My sister did not know there was a call transfer feature between the handsets of her system, have you tried using that feature so you could transfer the call between your handsets?

Raff

I'll look into that transfer feature...I wonder if I need to set my obi to allow barging into a call...I'll definitely look...thanks for the advice.

jimates

According to the Obi Admin Guide the default is NO. I looked on mine and didn't find a setting to turn on. But there is a star code for BargeIN. *96 I guess pressing *96 turns it on.

EnableLINEPortBargeIn   
This option is useful only when a PSTN line is connected to the OBi110. By default a user can pick up the phone and dial # to connect to the LINE port. If no one else using the PSTN line at that time, the user will hear dial tone from the phone company. On the other hand, if the line is already in use, the user will hear fast busy tone if this option is disabled, or join the current call in progress otherwise.

This option is only available in OBi110. Default setting = No

EnablePHONEPortBargeIn   
Enable the caller to barge in when he calls the other phone port from this phone port while the other phone port has an active call in progress, on-hold, or ringing.

This option is only available in OBi110.  Default = yes

jimates

It's possible the option to turn BargeIn on or off was implimented in a fw upgrade and if the default is NO, the you would have to turn it on. *96
I guess the star code profile shows the current status.

EDIT:
Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> Calling Features -> EnableLINEPortBargeIn

You can uncheck the Obitalk Settings box and then the Default box and check the box to enable the feature. I have no idea how the star codes relate, perhaps someone else is familiar with the star codes.

Ostracus

Quote from: jimates on October 06, 2012, 09:49:50 PM
EnablePHONEPortBargeIn   
Enable the caller to barge in when he calls the other phone port from this phone port while the other phone port has an active call in progress, on-hold, or ringing.

It's available on the Obi202 as well.

jimates

Quote from: Ostracus on October 06, 2012, 11:46:03 PM
Quote from: jimates on October 06, 2012, 09:49:50 PM
EnablePHONEPortBargeIn   

It's available on the Obi202 as well.
Since the 202 has two phone ports, it has phoneportbargein. The 110 has one phone port and one line port, it has lineportbargein

Ostracus

Yes, I was countering the "it's only available in the Obi110". There are some slight differences in behavior in keeping with the collaborative nature of the two phone ports.

QuoteWhile PHONE 1 and PHONE 2 can function independently of each other, the OBi202 also offers some collaborative features to let the two phone ports work together as a mini phone system.

With the factory default digit map and call routing rules, you can dial a single "#" (pound/hash) digit to call from one phone port to ring the other phone port. Depending on the current state of the called phone, one of the following can happen:

If the called phone is idle (on-hook), it will ring normally with a special Caller-ID that indicates the call is from the other PHONE Port.
    If the called phone is already on a call, the calling phone will barge in to join the call.
    If the called phone is on-hook with a call on-hold, the calling phone will pick up and resume that call.
    If the called phone is ringing, the calling phone will pick up and aswer that call.
    For all other scenarios, the calling phone will hear busy tone.

Number two is like the Obi110.

strain17

Has the LinePort barge-in behavior changed from firmware 2711 to 2744? It seems that now it takes about 3 secs to barge-in to the POTS line on the 110. Prior to this, I used to be able to dial "#" and receive dial-tone from the POTS line under 1 second (almost immediate). I also found that dialing "##" would achieve the same result (instant POTS dial tone).

At first I thought this was related to the interdigit timeout, but then, this is just seizing dial tone prior to even dialing, so I'm thinking it is something else.

Any one have the same issue? Any ideas?

ProfTech

Made a couple of quick tests here and don't see any difference in 2744.