News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changing port 5060 in OBI (ISP BLOCKED THE REGULAR PORTS)!!!

Started by kayhan, October 07, 2012, 09:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayhan

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately all ISPs have recently blocked the normal UDP/TCP ports between 5060-5080 in our country. Right now all Obi devices that we have in several places in the country can be registered but they have connection issue for phone conversation.

Is there any way that we define deferent port (I mean not standard port) for these devices to fix this issue?

I will be thankful for any answer or solution.

Regards,

LeoKing

You need to set up port forwarding on the router. For example, my NAS uses port 21 for the FTP and port 21 is blocked by my ISP. I set up an arbitrary public port (port 12863) on the router to redirect traffic to the private port 21.

kayhan

Thanks LeoKing,

But could you please explain this a little bit more. I know I can forward the port on the router but how it can work? I assumed each OBI device in each side of the country need to only communicate with another device on the specific port such as 5060.

Can you say how I should set up an arbitrary public port on the router to redirect traffic to the private port?

Thanks

LeoKing

What's the make/model of your router? Each router has different way to set up port forwarding.

kayhan

I think I got it on my router in Virtual server section. My router is Dlink DIR-825.

hwittenb

There are ports for sending packets to your OBi and ports for sending packets from your OBi to your voip provider.  You can easily change the port for sending packets to you, you just change X_UserAgentPort under VoiceServices-->SPx Service"-->X_UserAgentPort.  Change it to most any number you wish.  In addition, your router may be changing the port without your knowledge in its NAT mapping scheme.  

Changing the port number for packets you send to your VoIP provider is a different story.  Your VoIP Provider must indicate that they are listening for the new port number.  The default port number for sending to your voip provider is 5060 and is commonly referred to as the standard port.  If you wish to send to a different port you add the port number to the proxy address.  For example if the proxy address was sip.anveo.com and you wished to send to their port 5010 you would send to sip.anveo.com:5010.  

VoIP providers that I am aware of that allow non standard incoming port numbers include Anveo (5010), VBuzzer (80).  Hopefully there are more, I would suggest you ask your voip provider if there is an alternative to port 5060 for sending to them.  

PBXes, a managed PBX service, that is an alternative for you to use, allows a wide range of incoming port numbers they call "alternative ports".  You can register your ata to an account with them using a non-standard port and then setup your voip provider as a trunk with them using the standard port 5060.  PBXes service is without charge for usage less than 2000 minutes per month.

Edit: Anveo uses port 5010 for their proxy address

kayhan

hwittenb,

You are right, I thought in the same way. I am thinking to build a PBX by myself to resolve this issue and assign unstandardized ports for my OBIHI devices.

Thanks,

hwittenb

Quote from: kayhan on October 07, 2012, 12:20:17 PM
I am thinking to build a PBX by myself to resolve this issue and assign unstandardized ports for my OBIHI devices.
Building your own PBX is a worthwhile exercise but it doesn't solve any problems about your ISP blocking udp/tcp packets destined for ports  5060 to 5080 unless you don't intend to include a voip provider or you have a voip provider that allows you to address their proxy with a port number not in the blocked range.  For talking between OBi adapters you don't necessarily need a PBX because you can use the built-in OBiTalk protocol which uses non-standard port numbers.

rezareza