News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

should all incoming GV calls be forwarded to callcentric number?

Started by zappazappa, October 11, 2012, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zappazappa

Hi,
I just set up my OBi100 with GV as SP1. I plan to get the free callcentric number and set it up as SP2 for e911 support.

The callcentric website says "Each Free Phone Number must receive call(s) from the PSTN totaling at least one (1) completed minute of use every three (3) months; or they may be removed from your account without warning."

Does that mean I either remember to call that free NY number every few months, or should I forward all incoming GV numbers to the callcentric number? Does sending incoming GV calls to callcentric instead of directly to the OBi cause noticeable delays/quality loss? 

Thanks in advance!

QBZappy

zappazappa,

Welcome,

This thread may help you decide.

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

PS:
BTW, I like your name. We might even be related. Enjoy the forum.
QBZappy
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

zappazappa

Thank you! I think there is a lot of useful information there and it probably also addresses more complex thing than I am looking for.
The one thing I didn't catch was if forcing all incoming calls to call centric was *necessary* because of their clause/requirement that I posted.
We may indeed be related/similarly crazy ......

Thanks again! This forum is great!

QBZappy

Quote from: zappazappa on October 11, 2012, 10:37:40 AM
Does that mean I either remember to call that free NY number every few months, or should I forward all incoming GV numbers to the callcentric number? Does sending incoming GV calls to callcentric instead of directly to the OBi cause noticeable delays/quality loss? 

Burried on the 3rd page of this thread you will see some results of passing calls through CC. Also from personal experience I lost my CC account due to inactivity.
Re: Setting Up Caller ID shown Name and Number on OBI110 !!! HELP
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3024.msg24187#msg24187

Quote from: QBZappy on July 10, 2012, 10:54:18 AM
I suppose you might be correct. All this call forwarding must have a cost.

Only one way to find out how many rings/seconds this set up costs. Anyone with GV->CC->Obi setup willing to try using a cell phone and count the rings on the cell phone before it hits the OBi?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

carl

You can, off course, call your own callcentric number, with my 2 line phone it is not a problem. Even better is to use Callcentric once a while, I bet you can use sometimes 3 and 4 way calling or use them for overseas calls in cases where their price is lower than the completion( they have a few, not too many)

BearJerCares

I ran across this thread from back in October, but I have a question regarding it, if anyone sees this. 

I just successfully set up Google Voice and the free Callcentric phone number using the Obi.  Regarding the comment about whether all incoming GV calls should be forwarded to the Callcentric number, if the Callcentric phone number is listed as a FORWARDING phone number for GV, then this requirement is met, right?

My understanding was that it was a recommendation to set up a free phone number with Callcentric (except for the $1.50 monthly E911 fee) so we could get 911 service and CALLER ID WITH NAME, since GV does not support caller ID with name directly.  So, can someone explain what happens and whether or not it matters whether SP1 or SP2 is used for GV and Callcentric?    Also, if someone calls the GV phone number, GV passes it on to Callcentric, picks up the incoming caller ID with name info and sends it back a 2nd time through the Obi and to the phone?  Is that essentially what is happening here, just so I understand?

And if that is the case, then if someone dials the Callcentric phone number DIRECTLY without dialing the GV phone number, it rings through as normal, but GV would be bypassed completely.  Does that sound accurate?

Thanks for an explanation that might help a newbie out...

Jerry in Michigan USA

CoalMinerRetired

> Regarding the comment about whether all incoming GV calls should be forwarded to the Callcentric number, if the Callcentric phone number is listed as a FORWARDING phone number for GV, then this requirement is met, right?
Yes.

> So, can someone explain what happens and whether or not it matters whether SP1 or SP2 is used for GV and Callcentric?
Doesn't matter, you can use SP1 and SP4if you so choose.  Since SP1 and SP2 default to phone 1 and SP3 and SP4 default to Phone 2 most people setup the arrangement using either of these two pairs. The key point is you want both (GV and CC) to use the same phone port on the Obi.

>Also, if someone calls the GV phone number, GV passes it on to Callcentric, picks up the incoming caller ID with name info and sends it back a 2nd time through the Obi and to the phone?  ...Is that essentially what is happening here, just so I understand?
Yes. Except for your use of 'sends it back a 2nd time' which makes me think you're missing the instruction to "Un-check Google Chat as a forwarding phone" in your GV settings. See first post in linked thread. What happens is inbound (to GV) calls are forwarded to the CC number but not the GV number on the Obi (or else you'd have SP1 and SP2 ringing simultaneously). Outbound calls (from your Obi on your GV number) go out on the GV number. To you the user this is supposed to be invisible.

> ...Does that sound accurate?
Yes, this is exactly how it works, and you can do so whenever you want to test the arrangement.