News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What are the correct Google Voice settings in OBi110?

Started by tavie888, October 10, 2012, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tavie888

Hello,

I have voip.ms for SP2 and Google Voice for SP1. In SP2 and ITSP Profile B, the settings are:

Proxy server: toronto.voip.ms
Proxy server port: 5060
Registrar server: toronto.voip.ms
X_KeepAlive Server: toronto.voip.ms
X_KeepAlive Server Port: 5060

For GoogleVoice, I must have entered the wrong values because ITSP Profile A > SIP shows the following:

Proxy Server: toronto.voip.ms
Proxy server port: 5060
Registrar Server: toronto.voip.ms
X_KeepAlive Server: toronto.voip.ms
X_KeepAlive Server Port: 5060

Could you show me the correct values for Google Voice?

Thanks for your help

CoalMinerRetired

For GV, the manual setup, that means not via ObiTalk, is explained here, scroll about halfway down.

The five items you have in the ITSP A profile are not correct, set all of them to the default setting.

To summarize from above link:
    ITSP Profile A/General set SignalingProtocol set to "Google Voice";
    ITSP Profile A/General set X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF to enabled (checked)

Click the "Submit" button because, ......

Voice Services/SP1 in the SIP Credentials section set AuthUserName to your Gmail email address (you may omit the "@gmail.com" if you wish);
    Voice Services/SP1 in the SIP Credentials section set AuthPassword to your Gmail password;
    Voice Services/SP1 in the Calling Features section set X_SkipCallScreening (way at the bottom) to enabled (checked). The need for this is explained fully in Step 8 below;

Everything else is set to default, except maybe a Ring Profile.

tavie888

Hello CoalMinerRetired,

Thanks for your help.  I only had to remove "toronto.voip.ms" from "Proxy Server", "Registration Server", and "X_KeepAliveServer" of ITSP Profile A (Google Voice), i.e. left blank.  The rest of the values as you suggested is already done before.

The only thing left that could be worrisome is: even after removing the check mark from "Default Device" boxes in order to enter UserAuthentication passwords for either Voice Services SP1 or SP2, then hitting "Submit", the password fields are still blank afterwards. I don't see the "Reboot" button on my OBi screen. After all these, GV is shown as "connected" and voip.ms as "registered".

Any way for the password fields to be populated even after screen refreshes?

jimates

Once you submit/reboot, the password fields are blank. The passwords are not stored in the configuration. If you were to backup the configuration, the passwords would not be there.

tavie888

Hello jimates,

Thank you for your explanation.  I have a question for you:

How do I back up the configuration, i.e. saving all the "hard-worked" settings to a file and store that file in a USB and my hard drive? Once saved, the file would be useful for exporting to another OBI unit, to avoid all the tedious manual configuring!

Thanks in advance for your help.

CoalMinerRetired

tavie888, I think you are using the ObiTalk portal, and you are not using manual/direct web interface to the device (***1 > Get IP address > type IP Address into browser etc., etc.).  

So I'm slightly mixed up on some of your descriptions.  

If you want to do a manual setup of GV via the direct web interface to the Obi device, you follow the section in the link in my above post. However, it sounds like you're doing a manual setup via the ObiTalk portal, in which case some of the fields and buttons are labelled slightly differently, the password fields being blank afterwards (after a reboot) for example.  In a manual setup via direct web interface, see the image of the obi110 screen in the link I mentioned. In a setup via the ObiTalk portal it will look slightly different.

jimates

Quote from: tavie888 on October 10, 2012, 07:50:13 PM
Hello jimates,

Thank you for your explanation.  I have a question for you:

How do I back up the configuration, i.e. saving all the "hard-worked" settings to a file and store that file in a USB and my hard drive? Once saved, the file would be useful for exporting to another OBI unit, to avoid all the tedious manual configuring!

Thanks in advance for your help.
The backup and restore feature only works if you are configuring the device directly. If you use the Obitalk portal and Expert Configuration you cannot restore.

So, if you restore a configuration from a backup you cannot use the Expert Config to manage the device because the Obitalk portal will overwrite your restored configuration with it's settings.

There used to be a backup/restore option from the portal but it never worked. Obihai kept saying they were going to fix it, the fix was to remove the option.

CoalMinerRetired

Isn't the idea of a backup and restore function a moot point when using the ObiTalk portal?

Your device's configuration is already backed up into some database behind Obi's portal, such that if you create a working configuration, then reset your device to factory defaults, then re-connect the device to the portal once again, you will have (automatically and by default behavior) restored your configuration, even though the process is not labeled as 'backup' and 'restore?'

Or am I missing something here? I do not use the portal.

jimates

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 10, 2012, 08:37:15 PM
Isn't the idea of a backup and restore function a moot point when using the ObiTalk portal?

Your device's configuration is already backed up into some database behind Obi's portal, such that if you create a working configuration, then reset your device to factory defaults, then re-connect the device to the portal once again, you will have (automatically and by default behavior) restored your configuration, even though the process is not labeled as 'backup' and 'restore?'

Or am I missing something here? I do not use the portal.
I use the portal exclusively to access my device. I use the Obi Expert Configuration to make all my changes. But any setting I change manually is no longer managed by Obitalk and therefor would be over written should the device be reset.

Other than what I input on my dashboard all other settings are managed by me. I do not use Obitalk exclusively to manage the device. But if you use it in the least you are restricted from backup/restore.

I assumed that when the backup/restore was available as an option that it was supposed to backup the full configuration, not just those managed by Obitalk. But that could be wrong, if it didn't there was no reason for it, as you said.

MurrayB

Hi jimates - I am a little confused I must be missing something (not unusual) you access the device exclusively from the portal but don't use Obitalk exclusively to manage the device.

"Other than what I input on my dashboard all other settings are managed by me."

I am interpreting this as you do somethings directly on the Obi - I thought that it is one way or the other.

Thanks!