News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting Up QOS On TP-Link Router

Started by ceg3, October 11, 2012, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

I have an OBI100. My router is a TP-Link TL-WR841N. TP calls QOS simply "bandwidth control." I have set my OBI with a static IP, which TP calls "IP reservation."

Once you enable bandwidth control you have to set global download and upload potential, which in my case is approx 20mb down and 2MB up. Then you set a rule for the device. I was told at some point that GV needs 100kbps up to function well, so I set that as my min up and download speed. Still wondering about what to use for maximum up and down. I experimented with 100kbps also but it seemed like I was having issues. I just changed my max up and down to 1024kbps, but I don't really know if that is correct either, though you would think a mb would do it.

You also need a port range for the device rule and a TP support person suggested just giving the full range of ports, 1 to 65535.

Anybody got suggestions for min and max up and down and port range?

Thanks!

QBZappy

ceg3,
Does the router have QOS control via mac or ip address? This would avoid having to figure out what ports to allow.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ceg3

Quote from: QBZappy on October 11, 2012, 11:33:28 AM
ceg3,
Does the router have QOS control via mac or ip address? This would avoid having to figure out what ports to allow.

I don't know. I haven't seen any setting that would suggest that, not that I really understand how that would work if it does.

QBZappy

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR841N

IP QoS-Control Bandwidth Reasonably

Among the wireless network, indiscriminate Internet surfing and bandwidth-guzzling downloads by internal users often leave home or small office with insufficient bandwidth. TL-WR841N supports IP QoS function, allowing optimum utilization of bandwidth and offers bandwidth control over congestion, preventing the bandwidth abuse. In this way, the users of a small network receive committed and specific bandwidth, preventing non-critical applications from degrading network performance.

Seems like your router can have QOS for each ip. You need to read the manual for specifics.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ceg3

I knew that much.  I thought you were talking about something else.  I pointed out in my first message that I was setting up QOS for a static IP. I've looked through what I can find.

Hopefully someone will come up with something.

thanks anyway.