News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

incoming calls on 2 Obi devices

Started by skipro, October 16, 2012, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro

I would like to receive calls from 1 GV number at 2 locations. Only 1 site would pick up at any one time. I read the solution using CallCentric accts but I would like to know if this can be done just with basic setup?
Can I have incoming calls from 1 GV acct ring 2 Obi 202 devices [at different locations] in 1 Obi acct?
If not, can I do this with 2 Obi accts, 1 device on each? Would this make a diffrence?
Outgoing calls can be done with separate GV accts if necessary.

jimates

You can configure both devices with the same google voice account. Outgoing calls on the same account should be possible. You can fork calls from one device to the other for incoming calls.

it doesn't matter if they are in the same account or not.

The last one to log in at google will be the one that receives calls. Because of unexplained reboots etc, there is no guarantee which one will be logged in at any given time. This shouldn't matter if you configure each one to fork the call to the other. And they should not both receive the same call.

Set up google voice on SP1 for both devices and set it as default for outgoing calls.
Using the Obi Expert Configuration set the SP1 X_InboundCallRoute on both devices to this
{ph1,pp(500xxxxxx)} where 500xxxxxx is the Obitalk number of the opposite Obi.

make the changes to SP1 or ph1 as needed to fit your configuration.

skipro

Thanks for reply.
QuoteAnd they should not both receive the same call.
Please explain.
I want all calls to ring at both locations since I do not know which one will be answered.

jimates

they should not both receive the same call direct from google voice on SP1. Although both devices can place outgoing calls on the same google voice account at the same time, only the last one to log into google will be able to receive calls from google voice. There is no way to know exactly which one at any give time will get the call, but it is fairly evident that both cannot receive the call.

for this reason, you fork the call from the Obi that does receive the call to the other Obi using the configuration in the SP1 X_InboundCallRoute

And they should not both receive the same call just means they will  not both be trying to fork the same call to each other at the same time.

MurrayB

I fork all incoming calls between two locations via the ObiTalk network. Whichever phone is called it rings at both locations. I have an answering machine at one location that I access from either location. This arrangement works really well for me.

Good Luck!

jimates

remember, google voice voicemail will answer the call after 25 seconds of it's origin, set your answering machine accordingly.

skipro

I did as advised. On both accts, InboundCallRoute  {ph1,pp(500xxxxxx)} where 500xxxxxx is other Obi #.
Now when a call comes in on this GV #, only my 2nd Obi rings and once only. If I pick up, call is received. If I do not pick up after 1st ring, the caller is forwarded to Obi auto attendant and caller has to press 1 to continue call. Then the call rings my 1st Obi [only] but on both lines, not only on the line associated with the GV acct. The call now is being forwarded [forked] to line 2 [different GV acct] also but not to line 1 [same GV acct] on the 2nd Obi. Not only does it not ring 2nd Obi, but if I pick up 2nd Obi, I only get a dial tone.
I do not know if this is a factor but for testing purposes I have the 2 Obi devices at same location/router.
What is pp?

jimates

pp designates the Obitalk service. Anytime you forward or fork a call you need to designate the service to use to forward/fork the call.

If you have both devices in the same account you may be getting some circle of trust conflicts that are sending the calls to the auto attendant. Obitalk automatically configures all endpoints in the account as trusted callers.
Check the Obitalk inbound call route. Set it to only ring the desired phone port, ph1 or ph2; nothing else.

skipro

I am confused.
QuoteCheck the Obitalk inbound call route. Set it to only ring the desired phone port, ph1 or ph2; nothing else.
How can I fork if I do this?
This is what I have per forum advice:
InboundCallRoute  {ph1,pp(500xxxxxx)} where 500xxxxxx is other Obi #.

QuoteIf you have both devices in the same account you may be getting some circle of trust conflicts that are sending the calls to the auto attendant.
Should I put the 2nd Obi device on another acct?

I tried inactivating AA on both devices and I was surprised that AA still answered after 1st ring.

jimates

you are right. I forgot we are forking an incoming call via Obitalk.

I think the quickest test would be to remove one device and put it in another account so as to eliminate the circle of trust conflict. The only way the AA comes into play is when they are configured as trusted numbers, Obitalk did that by default.

skipro

Can I remove the trusted configuration/value?

jimates

Quote from: skipro on October 18, 2012, 07:56:11 PM
Can I remove the trusted configuration/value?
Now I got my head back in this particular situation.

The forking of the calls is done using the rule we added to the SP1 inbound call route.
The rule tells the Obi to fork the call to 2 places, the phone port and the other Obi.
The pp() tells it what service to use to fork the call.
The (xxxxxxxxx) is the number it is sent to.
Done

Check the Obitalk inbound call route. Set it to only ring the desired phone port, ph1 or ph2; nothing else.
The inbound call route tells the Obi what to do with the call once it gets it (from the other Obi). Since both devices are in the same account Obitalk added them to each other trusted caller list. This configuration tells the Obi to send calls from the trusted number to the AA.

The default Obitalk Service inbound call route will look somethng like this
{(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290xxxxxx):aa},{ph,ph2}
remove everything except {ph,ph2} or just {ph1}, {ph2} as desired

skipro

What are the consequences if I eliminate AA in Obitalk Inbound call route, other than maybe getting this to work? Would all AA functions cease to exist? I do not want to lose AA functions that I need/use.

It seems simpler and cleaner to use a second Obi acct for 2nd device if it would work. Tried it and it does work,, sort of. The calls to the forked number [on line 1] are being passed to Line 2 also. How can I eliminate passing the call to line 2? This only happens with this fork. As noted in my second entry in this thread, this happened when I originally forked this number in the original Obi acct.

jimates

removing the aa from the call route will not break the whole aa. If you do want to use the aa between the two devices then the aa will have to exist at some point in the configuration. If you only want the aa usage for other callers/endpoints then we can address that after you get it working for this situation.

Get it work for this particular situation first.

What caller id shows on Obi 2 when the call is forked from Obi 1.

skipro

On 2 Obi accts:
Obitalk Service-InboundCallRoute-default:
   Both devices ring
   Line 1 & 2 ring
   Line 2 caller ID is caller
On 1 Obi accts:
Obitalk Service-InboundCallRoute-default:
   1 Device rings
     Answer -get AA
       press 1
   Both devices ring
   Line 1 & 2 ring
   Line 2 caller ID is caller.
 Obitalk Service-InboundCallRoute-{ph1}:
   Both devices ring
   Line 1 [only] rings
   I can still get AA for VM retrieval.
   This setup works for my purposes.
Thanks.

Could the InboundCallRoute be modified more selectively/specifically without eliminating all but {ph} to accomplish the same thing?