News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 router performance, upnp, UK?

Started by panda, October 10, 2012, 05:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panda

Hi,

I'm interested in the OBi202. How well does the OBi202 router perform in the real world (compared to Grandstream, Sipura/Cisco/Linksys models with router)? I will have (at peak) 6 devices behind it.

Also does the OBi202 support upnp? (for auto port-forwarding etc). If not will future firmware likely include upnp support?

If the OBi202 router works well then for my setup it's just tidier then using another separate router.

Finally will OBi202 officially be available in the UK (with a UK PSU)?

Thanks.

Rick_Hall

The LAN side works great.  The "Status" gives you a lot of information on what's connected.  I have 4 IP cameras, several computers, iTouches, iPads & iPhones running on it (plus my house phone). No issues there.  I have Uverse for the internet.  I am having issues with the WAN side where the internet either slows down or the WAN completely drops off.  I posted this issue to see if I get any responses.  If I can solve my WAN issue, I plan on purchasing several more for my clients.

JohnBowler

My OBi202 DHCP server currently has 11 devices registered.  The main problem I see is that the DHCP reservation table only has 20 entries and I've already maxed that out.  I don't see any problems with this number of clients, but then I wouldn't expect to.

I've not seen any WAN slowdowns that I can't explain by issues in my ISP - I'm limited to 3Mbps upload and 1Mbps download, and I can and do hit those limits.  My ISP is also working via a radio link and that does show slow downs (e.g. it's raining heavily at the moment and I'm seeing about a factor of 10 reduction in speed.)

I don't know about the UPnP support.  The QoS settings on the OBi 202 seem weird and they are difficult to change (the remote, Obitalk, interface doesn't seem to work at all).  There might be some major issues here, but I've been using Blink on a PC and got satisfactory call quality - I have tweaked the QoS settings though.

I think maybe the 202 isn't doing any UPnP; that might be a major issue for you (and, indeed, everyone.)

I don't think the power supply is an issue - IRC it's just a standard output voltage (IRC 5) and I think it is a switching supply (again, though, I can't remember).

I've also discovered that UK numbers work just fine when served from the US - I've got a UK number that is handled in Seattle (on the west coast of the US) and I get fine call quality whether I'm receiving in the US or the UK.  So I think if you have an OBi202 (or something equivalent) you can use whatever provider is cheapest, regardless of where they are in the world.

John Bowler