News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 Operation Mode

Started by Rick_Hall, October 18, 2012, 02:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Hall

If you change the Operation Mode on the Obi 202 from Router to "Bridge", it says that the QOS is hard wired.  Why is that?  What is it hard wired to?  I put the Obi 202 between my 2Wire router and the switch to my house.  All traffic from my house runs through the Obi 202 and then through the 2Wire switch to get to the internet.  What priority will get IP phone traffic get?  If I have multiple IP phones in my hours, will their routing take priority?  What is the purpose of have QOS in Bridge mode if you can't set the values?

4-em

Rick,

It pays to ask startpage.com :

From the admin guide:

"LAN Switching Features

Instead of acting as a router, the OBi202 can be set to work as a 3-port switch. One of the ports is internal and is used by the OBi202 CPU only, while the two external ports (labelled as Interent and LAN) can be connected to other devices. This mode of operation is known as the bridge mode. In this mode, all the router features, such DHCP server, firewall and port forwarding, will not take effect. The QoS policy in this case is hardwired such that the native voice and related traffic will always have highest priority (this behavior is not configurable). Furthermore, accessing the OBi device management web pages from either of the two external ports is always allowed."  (emphasis added by me)

So, if you want to configure the QoS, why not place your 2-wire in bridge mode and let the Obi be in charge? 

If you can't put the 2-wire in bridge mode (sorry, I'm not familiar with 2-wire) then you could still "double nat" and leave your Obi in router mode.  Not ideal, but it usually works alright.

Good luck getting things sorted to your satisfaction.